Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Another EFI conversion complete

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:57 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe for people that don't know what they are doing! Let me paint this picture for you. I sit down, write the base program, load it into the ECU and hit the key. First time running on the EFI and it is holding steady, taking throttle and revving when cold. I am normally a little off on cold accel enrichment so it might stutter, but can be driven.

Second phase, I spend my first half of tuning AFRs. What does that mean? Well I am looking for targets on each KPA/RPM. I have a map that I lay out and hold each cell steady to achieve that AFR. This does two things. Makes the car safe to do the timing cell loads and sets best fuel economy. What is the by product of that? Drivability. If I can lean the car out during curse until I reach best AFR and no hiccups then the car is close. How close...Good question. When I come off the dyno I can throw it in 4th gear at 20MPH and lug the thing until it hits read line. Pulling smoothly across the band.

So, the point being. Yes, for me these two things are not a huge deal and since the post was up, cold start is done and decel drivability complete. Today it is 30 degrees and dropping. I will test that temp for start up in today and call it done.

For the question is this a do it your self type of gig. Nope, not ever. I simply couldn’t say it is unless you want to buy the tools to do it the right way. That includes a Scope, expensive crimpers (300.00) and a a slew of goofy pin tools, milspec connectors and so on. Without the proper testing equipment you could run into an issue and not even know you have one unless you could look at it with a scope (providing you know how to use it) I have run into issues even knowing how to use all of the proper tools still kicked me. There are tons of little nick knack things like the metric to AN fittings, wiring into the system, block offs for the intake, modifying the TB to accept (older than 86 cars) the TPS. The cam housing has to be welded either aluminum or cast and a sensor fitted, gap adjusted and still ensure the sump fits and works. This list goes on and on. Make one mistake, one loose wire, one wrong gap and your day is spent chasing issues.

In the end to do it right and once and never have to screw with it requires either A) Spend a hell of a lot of money/time/effort and jump on that learning curve B) send it to someone that really knows what they are doing and build street cars not just race cars. WOT and a street car are two totally different things
Old 11-29-2006, 02:05 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce M.
Cold start and driveability are the two hardest things to get right in an EFI install. They sure were in mine.
Putting it simply, the more you do, the easier it gets. We fit Motec onto 964's with LWF's and never have an issue with stalling, in fact they will drive on the idle map in 5th gear, but the only reason they do is because I have been playing with this Motec system for 6 years. As Stephen says, the learning curve is very steep which is why I would recommend trusting the installer to do 99% of the job then if he feels up to it, the customer can spend the next 2 years fine tuning the other 1%.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:24 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

A-men to that!!!

Now stalling is not an issue unless it is a TEC3r
Old 11-29-2006, 02:37 PM
RarlyL8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You say that the car in question does not have headers. Is it using a Euro exhaust?
What would be the advantages of spending another $1500+ on headers if he is getting 400HP on the current heat exchangers? A little less lag and a little more power?
Old 11-29-2006, 03:16 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

"A little less lag, a little more power?" Well actually as proven many many times on the dyno a lot less lag and more TQ. Not everything is measured in HP Brian. It is about drivability, throttle response and power under the curve. All of these are enhance with headers..
Old 11-29-2006, 05:09 PM
Chet 930
Racer

The whole exhaust is a factory OEM from my 89 930 less the muffler. Only other mods to the motor are SC cams, ported intakes, Intercooler, muffler and K27.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:17 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 112 Posts

Chet930: nice to see its finally done! Now I can look forward to getting my 3.6 back from IA! Nice numbers as well. should be a bumch of fun. Great looking work as usual Mr. Kaspar.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Chet 930
Racer

Chet930: nice to see its finally done! Now I can look forward to getting my 3.6 back from IA!
Lol....I know how you feel
Old 12-03-2006, 02:12 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
"A little less lag, a little more power?" Well actually as proven many many times on the dyno a lot less lag and more TQ. Not everything is measured in HP Brian. It is about drivability, throttle response and power under the curve. All of these are enhance with headers..
Fully agree. Peak hp is overrated.

Actually if I was on limited budget, I would rather get headers and straight thru cat back than a new turbo even if it was a hiflow (no offense Stephen).WIth headers the car feels "lightened", perkier even in low revs - driveability definitely goes right up
Old 12-03-2006, 11:48 PM
RarlyL8
Racer

A little less lag and a little more power IS drivability.
By power I mean torque.
The question was asked to find out to what degree EFI is improved by using headers vs the 930 Euro configuration. Everyone talks about EFI and improved drivability over CIS but rarely includes headers, which also improve drivability, into the equasion. With the drivability advantages of EFI (vs CIS) it could be assumed that headers might have less of an impact on drivability and more of an impact on performance.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:55 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Bottom line is yes, I can add timing and clean the curves up, however velocity is velocity and you can not make that up. The removal of 4 ft of pipe still does not evade the physics of the turbo and how it operates. So in the end, heads will male more TQ, a broader power band and more drivability.

I have done too much testing and have data on TTs alone to know that this statement holds very true.

Chets car is still a on/off switch.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:11 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RarlyL8
A little less lag and a little more power IS drivability.
By power I mean torque.
The question was asked to find out to what degree EFI is improved by using headers vs the 930 Euro configuration. Everyone talks about EFI and improved drivability over CIS but rarely includes headers, which also improve drivability, into the equasion. With the drivability advantages of EFI (vs CIS) it could be assumed that headers might have less of an impact on drivability and more of an impact on performance.
With headers, even the pre-boost rpm range becomes perkier for any given engine management system. True for NA 964 as well as I had one previously without changing engine management at all. Of course high rpm range benefits as well. The feeling is somewhat akin to driving with and without aircon in terms of responsiveness
Old 12-04-2006, 02:41 PM
RarlyL8
Racer

So Chet's car is now a smooth running on/off switch. Ha!
I get what you are saying. Headers will help with lag and torque independent of the fuel injection system. They enhance the experience in their own way and are a worthy upgrade for that fact alone.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Chet 930
Racer

I doubt the on/off character will be dramitically reduced from headers alone. The compression ratio versus the intake port size is where the problem is at (port velocity). I dig the off/on character anyhow. True 930 heritage.....
Old 12-04-2006, 05:27 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 836 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Chet 930
I doubt the on/off character will be dramitically reduced from headers alone. The compression ratio versus the intake port size is where the problem is at (port velocity). I dig the off/on character anyhow. True 930 heritage.....
You should drive a non on-off car (even a stock 964 turbo). Having the boost build gradually is nice, yet you still feel the rush.

Quick Reply: Another EFI conversion complete