911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Need some advice from the 930 gurus

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 03:34 AM
930zx
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice from the 930 gurus

Hey guys new to the forums. I have a question for you guys. I just installed an EFI conversion and a bunch of other goodies but the only internal mods I did was gt cams. I have headers and straight through exhaust as well. I need to know what the best internal upgrades are such as pistons/cylinders that I can use to get some more hp? I saw imagine auto has a kit that sell 3.4 piston/cylinders but was wondering if there was anything better? My last question is we used the carrera intake and carrera heads, is there a better intake (aftermarket) I can use or is that the best Im going to get? Thanks guys!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:17 AM
AZ930
Instructor

The answer really depends on how much power you want to make.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:12 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Change the Rob bolts and the head studs for ARP ones. They will not let you down unlike the stock items when you increase torque/bhp.

Talk to Stephen of Imagine Auto about the pistons and cylinders he can get you (and the ARP hardware). Very knowledgable and great to deal with. He sends me stuff here in the UK.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For the turbo engine you really want to run with more than stock compression. Advertised compression is 7:1 stock and it is more like 6.8:1 when measured. I think 8:1 compression is a very good compression ratio for running street fuel and 1bar or under. The cylinder heads remain within a temp range I feel is accpetable. Most of the higher compression piston kits out there are 3.4l so you'll end up using 98mm bore cylinders. The 930 3.3 cylinders are also not fully finned so they have uneven cooling.

You'll want to at least upgrade the stock rod bolts and depending on your desired power you may want to run a better rod like a Carrillo rod which is both lighter and stronger.

From my testing on a flow bench, the 3.2 Carrera heads flow well in stock form. You can clean them up and gain some. However, the aluminum alloy they are made from is not as heat tolerant as the 930 head so there may be longevity issues. I personally don't use them but rather port the 930 head since I like to reprofile the port for higher velocity and the 3.2 Carrera port is already too big in some places to start with for porting.

The 3.2 Carrera intake is fine. I've had good luck with the extrude hone process which gained about 20cfm per runner. I've also used the 964 plastic manifold which makes a little more power but you have the resonance flap to deal with. I really like the individual throttle bodies from Bob Holcombe which I think work the best. You can get them in a variety of different sizes based on your application and they give superb throttle response off boost.

GT2 Evo cams are great street cams. For a track car though they are a little small and have older deisgn valve control. You'll probably want to upgrade the springs and retainers, especially if running the larger camshafts.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:23 PM
930zx
Banned

thanks for the info, where can I find the throttle bodies by bob holcombe? thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 01:25 PM
930zx
Banned

do these look like good rods to buy? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 PM
930zx
Banned

heres whats going on there, gt evo cams, msd ignition, efi kit with twin plugs, carrera intake manifold, carrera heads, gigantic intercooler, schnell headers, fabspeed dual exhaust, tial wastegate and tial blow off valve. Whats left to do? I can upgrade to bigger pistons/cyclinders, carillo rods, and run a methanol kit. Let me know what you guys think.

Quick Reply: Need some advice from the 930 gurus