911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Buying 87 930 HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 04:02 PM
climbasky
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Buying 87 930 HELP

On Monday I buy a Low mileage 87 930. 4700 miles. YES. K 27, RUF intercooler and exhaust, ring/pinion, Speedline 9/10-18 wheels. One Owner. Am I crazy?? I am paying a premium price, swept away with emotion but will do a PPI inspection at a Porsche dealership. Appreciate response. Thanks.
More. I am paying..........oops....................47000...........

Thanks for your candid responses. Is there anybody out there who would recommend what I am planning to do. Which is to go ahead and buy this 1987 one owner low mile 930 for 47K? I am really seriously asking for your candid responses. Call me crazy, but back it up!!

Wow! You guys are so sobering! And I am not sure I like you! But I have to respect what you are saying. Your unanimous point of view tells me I better take a few steps back. VERY VERY hard since I have been oogling over the pictures and letting my imagination take me for long fast rides. The car is in my favorite color, diamond blue metallic with burgundy interior, I need to fly from Chicago to Detroit to actually see and drive it. I have not paid for it yet, but have my airline ticket ( One way!) and have set up an appointment at a Porsche dealership for Monday PPI. Take a few deep breaths. Breathe.......

OK.So the above are some of my posts on the 911 turbo club.
Will some kind persons on Rennlist also give me their candid response.
Thanks.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:04 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(caps lock ON) - NO NO NO NO NO!!! THAT'S TOO MUCH!!!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:05 PM
sand_man
Drifting

What are your intentions for the car?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:09 PM
sand_man
Drifting

I paid $35K for my '87 with 39,000 miles and my car was 100% original. It did have new 18" rims and tires ($4,000 worth), new B&B headers, but I got EVERY single original part that had ever been removed from the car (including the OEM Fuchs in perfect condition with new tires).
Old 05-07-2006, 04:15 PM
sand_man
Drifting

$47K (give or take) is for a REAL 1989 Slant nose with higher mileage!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:40 PM
climbasky
Advanced

OK. I would get all original parts except RUF wheels. I also have a showroom condition 89 speedster for driving in a very short country road range, I have a 745Li for commuting, and this car would be for my speed rush jollies so I do not climb on a motorcyle again which for a while was the other option. I turn 52 soon, some of you know what that is about.
Am i buying problems? The owner says he has warmed up the car and driven it open throttle at least every 2 months. He changed the speedometer at 1700 miles in May 89 since the original one made a sound he said. The title shows Not Actual Miles when he transferred the car to himself to a Florida address in 92.
Thnks.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:44 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 151 Posts

Your post is hard to follow...with the way you have written it...almost sounds like you are having a conversation with yourself (2nd and 3rd paragraphs).

Anyway...I also think that you are paying too much for that car. The ultra low miles do not excite me, as these cars do much better driven and maintained than just sitting in a garage and not even driven.

Mechanical things need to move, lubricated, brought up to operating temperature, speed etc etc...more harm is done sitting than being in operation.

Get a car like SandMan's there are quite a few out there and you would have got a better deal.

Good luck - Yasin
Old 05-07-2006, 05:24 PM
climbasky
Advanced

You R right, Yasin! ..it does sound like I am talking to myself!! And what is wrong with that, may I ask!

No really, I did cut and paste my postings on the dilemna. The responses I did not. I am going to attemt to link them, but really the common advise has been NOT do get the car .http://www.911turbo.com/turboclub/bo...essageID=75741
The search continues.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Chet 930
Racer

I just posted this on the other forum regarding your question. Here is what I think:

Just sold an 87 930 Diamond blue with dark blue interior. Sold for $23,500 with 113K miles. Nothing wrong with the motor or drivetrain and body/interior were in very nice condition.

Now, if the motor was to be rebuilt completely with the mods you get on the one you are thinking of......figure $12,000 to $15,000 depending on who you have do the work. Now we're up to $38,500. Add the tranny rebuild and clutch for about $3000 or so and were up to $41,500. Add the wheels for around $4000 to $5000 and now you are at $45K plus without touching the suspension, body or interior. This is assuming you even find another one in Diamond Blue and for the same price I sold mine for.

These cars are like any other......you buy them for one price, fix them up for another........and you lose money. The only thing you get is driving pleasure. Thats it.... either way your gonna pay and lose. The choice is yours. And quite frankly, your first choice doesnt seem that bad. Maybe if the seller could knock off a few thousand off the purchase price you could have some security money in case the motor does need to be resealed. Outside of valve cover gaskets and oil return tube "o" rings that might have hardend (which are easy fixes by the way), you will probably be alright. Hard to say though without actually seeing the motor.

I've already owned an 89 930 with both a G50 and a G50/50 (autocrossed it too many times). I've also owned the 4 speeds including my latest lightbody 77 930. Yes, the 5 speed is nice, but the 4 speed is enough too for the street. Again, the choice is yours.

If you are gonna keep the car for a while then its all relative. If you are gonna keep it for only a short time and sell it then of course it would make sense to most people not to waste the money upfront (unless you have more money than you know what to do with). Good luck in your choice. I'm sure you'll make a good one.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:00 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Well, I paid $35K at 39,000 miles and at 42,000 miles I'll have another $15K plus for a new engine! I'd really have hated to pay $47K and then have to spend $15K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN FOREST...R-U-N!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Chet 930
Racer

You're at $50,000K now and if you are like the rest of us.......you arent done yet. You might think you are....but you are going down the quick sand like everyone else. Some just sink faster than others.....LOL.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by climbasky
.... I turn 52 soon, some of you know what that is about.
I just turned 52 so I may have an idea of what you are talking about. Just for a point of reference, for whatever it is worth, I recently bought a black/black 1989 930 RUF BTR conversion with 48,000 miles for $47,000. Was that too much? I have no idea, but I am driving the car every day (when it is not raining) to work and back, a total of 50 miles. I am thoroughly enjoying this new experience and as of right now think I will keep this car for good.
So, whether or not it was too much, just right or too little from an objective point of view, if there is one, it was worth the $47,000 for me.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Chet 930
Racer

My point too Olli. By the way....... I had an opportunity to buy an 89 930 RUF BTR that was Black on Black from a dealership here in Sunnyvale, California. When I finally decided to go back and purchase it, they had sold it and shipped it off to the Carolinas somewhere. Was that your car by chance?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by Chet 930
My point too Olli. By the way....... I had an opportunity to buy an 89 930 RUF BTR that was Black on Black from a dealership here in Sunnyvale, California. When I finally decided to go back and purchase it, they had sold it and shipped it off to the Carolinas somewhere. Was that your car by chance?
Yes, it sure sounds like it's the one I've got! Apparently someone in Charlotte, NC had it for a while. Then it ended up at Foreign Cars Europe in Greensboro, NC, where I had a salesman who had been helping me find a car for me for quite some time now. It was interesting to hear you had wanted to buy it,. thanks for telling this!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Olli
Racer

Oh, and BTW, it had lived in California before coming to NC.

Quick Reply: Buying 87 930 HELP