Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

And then It DID NOT START . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:43 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Default And then It DID NOT START . . . .

I took my 88 930 cab out today for a hour drive. I drove it about 15 miles and ran in a shop for a sandwich. When I returned to start the car (fifteen minutes later), it would not turn over. Come to think of it, it never spit or even sounded like it fired one cyl.

It kept turning and turning, but no fire up. Is this fuel starvation? I was able to push it into a trailer shop, that was funny. They asked me if I wanted to mount a hitch and ball. Anyway I am having it towed home in the morning.

I did not think to check the fuses, but what would be a system of tracking down the problem? Thank you, in advance, mark Stephen, I wish I was closer. . .
Old 12-29-2005, 01:00 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your discription of the problem is inconsistent. You say that it would not turn over then you say it turned over and over but would not start. Which is it? We would all like to help but we need to know what is happening. Did the starter engage and rotate the motor? If so, did you smell fuel? If not did you have enough in the tank? I know these are stupid questions but your question was stupid in that you did not give us any details. We all want to help but we all need details.
LOL,
Rudy
Old 12-29-2005, 01:23 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Default Rudy

The starter cranked just fine. I just topped of the fuel, so no problem there.
I drove the car (not real hard, just spooled several times for passing) for a half an hour, stopped and let it run for about a minute before I turned the key to shut it down. Took 15 minutes to eat a sandwich and jumped back in to get home.
I pumped it one (like always - like the manual states while hot) turned the key and it cranked, but no sputter, or any sound like it was getting fuel. I have only owned this car for six months and it has alwaus fired up with one key turn, no matter if it is overnight, three days or three weeks.

I tried again and pumped and pumped the petal, it kept cranking with no slow down in cranking power. And then again with the petal on the floor. I NEVER smelled fuel, not even with the engine lid open and my head in the compartment. I tried for nearly ten minutes with only a minute break between tries.

I had a man listen for any pumps or ignition sounds in the engine compartment and he could hear clicking and a "small motor" sound upon my turning the key.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:55 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pumps are not running. I had this problem initially with my car, always after the car was hot. I traced it to the fuel pump relay sockets(the two red round relays closest to the driver on the fuse panel). Though I did have one relay that was bad(would stick on), the real culprit was the sockets where the relays seated. The female sockets, especially the ground terminal sockets were loose and so there was quite a bit of resistance and as evidence there were signs of local overheating/melting of the surrounding area. No problem some 40K blissful miles later!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:58 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I had an 86 that had these same symptoms. I finally found it was a sensor that needed to be replaced under the driver's seat. Once that was replaced the problem was gone. Maybe something to check...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:07 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by JRossRSA
I had an 86 that had these same symptoms. I finally found it was a sensor that needed to be replaced under the driver's seat. Once that was replaced the problem was gone. Maybe something to check...
I think that sensor is a DME thing...I'm pretty sure our cars (930s) don't have that...I could be wrong though. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump relay(s) as indicated by another poster. Also could be that yellow relay in the engine compartment fuse box.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:01 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Do a search about the fuel accumalator, I think that may be the problem, I'm not sure. Read up on this part and what happens when it fails.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:58 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Default Update

OK,
I took a quick at the car and found that my $6 fuse (fuel filter I-II was a burnt green color and the uppewr and lower wire leading to the fuse was also burnt in appearence. I will replace the fuse and trim the wires and see what happens.
The red circit (plug in fuses) look fine (no burnt or dis-coloration). The towing service scuffed my three week old Fabspeed stainless exhaust tip and dented the lower rear panel just on top of the driver's side tail pipe. I was not home to accept the car and do not know how top approach them about the damage.

It's not bad, but it shouldn't have happened.

I'll keep you guys updated. Any other suggestions?

mark
Old 12-30-2005, 12:56 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

I replaced the #6 fuse and cleaned up the wires and filed the contact areas, hooked everything back and still no turn over. It just cranks and cranks, no sound of trying to light up a cylinder.
I guess I need to try to replace the red round fuses?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:38 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Be careful that you are not injecting lots of fuel into your cylinders. It can seep through in to the sump and could ignite. It can also dilute the oil and kill it.
If the fuel doesn't go through the rings it might cause the engine to hydro-lock causing you to bend valves etc.

Make sure lots of fuel is not entering the cylinders and not getting ignited.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

If you don't hear the fuel pumps running, take a look at the article regarding this problem at Pelican Parts.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you disconnect the fuel line just after the filter in the engine compartment, and let someone else turn the key, you can tell if you are getting fuel. If not, that is the problem. If you get a big gush of fuel then you can work on spark.
Rudy
Old 12-30-2005, 07:40 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Default well now

Well, I swapped out the A/C and fog lights red relays with the fuel pump relays and the car fired up right up. The strange thing is I pluged in the fuel pump relays into the fog light plug and both relay worked the fog lamps.

I drove the car pretty hard for 30 minutes and remembered just how much fun a 930 really is.

I brought it home and checked out the relays. Both of the fuel relays were warm to the touch, but the car ran flawlessly.

I have already ordered a set of new red relays. Let's see how it goes. Thank you all for your suggestions and thank you, Stephen (IA) for your time and phone calls.

mark
Old 12-31-2005, 09:15 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

I drove the car around for 30 minutes and let it open up. Parked the car and again for about 20 minutes, it would not fire back up. I checked the #6 fuel pump fuse and it was cooked to a crisp. I unplugged the two red relays and tapped them a few times and replaced the fuse with a fresh one. The car fired up and I went directly home.
What could be making the fuse panel so hot (enough to melt fuses)?
Old 01-01-2006, 12:48 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

There is something on pelican about rewiring the fuses and relays on pelican. Puts less current through the wiring.

Quick Reply: And then It DID NOT START . . . .