Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

"While You're In There..."

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 10:41 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I read through this, it's occured to me that nearly every guy that has claimed they only wanted a 300HP, dependable, driveable, maintaneable 930, have ALL probably fallen into the abyss that I have suddenly fallen into! It reminds me of my sick two channel audio habbit..."The Audio Spiral" they call it!
Lastly I'm reminded of an old Richard Pryor routine: "...no sir I don't touch it...I peepee with it, and that's it..." YEAH RIGHT!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:43 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a slippy slope. It doesn't get better either.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:51 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Stephen, you remind me of a crystal-meth dealer...pedaling your hi-performance, hi-quality Porsche wears on the poor, pitiful, addicts like myself! How do you sleep at night? Dayum, I need a fix...BAD! I'll gladly pay you Teusday for a set of 3.4 Ps&Cs today...
Old 11-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sandman,
good move on the fully finned 3.4's. Stephen PhD is the Doctor of Porsches and I'm sure te Doc has some sleeping pills to put him to bed everynite...
Old 11-30-2005, 07:05 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had two thought's about your question, you don't have much to spend, you hope to never open up the engine again.

If you would like to go further in the future how about getting your heads ported out to match a 3.2 carrera manifold while it is in pieces (you have the ARP stuff and are gonna have your rods done nice).

Is there any advantage in doing higher capacity oil pumps (in & out) so that you could use larger diameter squirters, would this help reduce cylinder and/or piston temps keeping further away from detonation ? (If so could the ignition or boost be increased for more performance ?).

Love the idea of doing the heads for twin plug.

Surely the cams can be changed by just lowering the engine (partial drop).
Old 11-30-2005, 10:33 PM
sand_man
Drifting

I'm deffinately going with the SC cams, now. Next, I'm looking into the finned cylinder issue. We'll see what L&N says about pricing for "Nickies".
Old 11-30-2005, 11:11 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

definately go for the cams they are pretty cheap.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Sameer
Race Car

sand_man,
Just go for the regular Mahle or JE's, they are good enough, have them coated for better heat dissapation and your set to go. JMO.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

I would go twin plug as well. Then when you are ready get a set of twin bosch coil packs, dump the distributor and get it programed with an ECU- you can get the coil packs from a scrappy next to nothing. i am in the process of doing this to mine but only single plug at the mo.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:51 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sameer
sand_man,
Just go for the regular Mahle or JE's, they are good enough, have them coated for better heat dissapation and your set to go. JMO.
Well I was told on Pelican that they were unaware of anyone selling JUST the Mahle cylinders. In other words you have to purchase the P&Cs together...to the tune of over $4,000! As for JE, I think they only make pistons. I think the LN "Nickies" cylinders come in at about $2800 (according to their website)...not too bad. And on Stephen's website he advertises the 3.4 P&Cs for about $3500. So at these prices it's starting to get out of hand. We'll see. I plan to send Stephen an email today to firm up some pricing.

When you factor in the little things like powder coating, new engine compartment sound deadening mat, new engine compartment engine seal, various oil lines...not to mention I don't even know what the machine shop will cost...this adds up VERY QUICKLY!
Old 12-01-2005, 03:31 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sand_man
When you factor in the little things like powder coating, new engine compartment sound deadening mat, new engine compartment engine seal, various oil lines...not to mention I don't even know what the machine shop will cost...this adds up VERY QUICKLY!
Tell me about it. When my rebuild is complete I will have exceeded the cost of the car.

Don't forget to replace the fuel lines that run through the car.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:37 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, you can get just the cylinders. Where some of those guys get their info is beyond me.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:21 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
It is a slippy slope. It doesn't get better either.
It is my firm opinion that before you build that dream engine, talk to a half-dozen people or so you can choose the correct parts and build a cost sheet. Take the cost/build sheet and double it. Half-way through your project, do yourself a favor and add 50% to the cost in order to keep an accurate budget and keep yourself from crying. When your finished, I would bet you a beer that you exceeded your budget by 50%.

I started my rebuild a year ago with a $9000 budget (rebuild consumables, new misc parts, IC, ECU, machine shop, .....). During the first six months,, the "while you are there" syndrome was firmly in place. When the car started, I was double the budget. Little things like silicone hoses, fittings, stainless braided lines, aeroquip fittings (yikes!), coatings, and on and on....

It's now six months later, and I am still spending - just spent another $380 today in "refinements".

But it doesn't get any better turning the key on your project and it starts - then it runs! And then it runs better. Then there's the divorce... (kidding..kinda)
Old 12-01-2005, 05:49 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
I had two thought's about your question, you don't have much to spend, you hope to never open up the engine again.

If you would like to go further in the future how about getting your heads ported out to match a 3.2 carrera manifold while it is in pieces (you have the ARP stuff and are gonna have your rods done nice).

Is there any advantage in doing higher capacity oil pumps (in & out) so that you could use larger diameter squirters, would this help reduce cylinder and/or piston temps keeping further away from detonation ? (If so could the ignition or boost be increased for more performance ?).

Any idea's about my idea's anyone ?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:34 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50

As for the question on head work, it depends on what you want to acheive right then. If you port the heads to 3.2L specs for a CIS system, you basically destroy low and mid ends of the power - and I would argue that top end is degraded. CIS in 3.3L lives on velocity due to smaller cam profile, port sizes and header size and construction.

As for oil pumps, my opinion is that the stock tubo pump is just fine. What has changed to warrant an upgraded pump ($$$$)? Your gallies are the same size, the squirters are the same size, oil volume will stay the same, etc.

Piston squirters will help piston temp, but does very little for cylinder head temps. Therefore, based on the size of the squirters, you can not increase boost or ignition advance safely. You would be better adjusting AFR (slightly richer) to cool the chamber.

Advancing the iginition early is a benefit to spooling the turbo as quickly as possible, but once its up to speed, back off the advance to the provide optimal combustion (10 - 12 degrees ATDC if I remember correctly). In this scenario, boost is the key ingredient or killer (heat generator).

Quick Reply: "While You're In There..."