911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

WINTER BOOSTING

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 03:41 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WINTER BOOSTING

Call me crazy, but I am running out of projects for both my car and garage, I would let you in on the fun but despite my being a dues paying member I can't seem to post pics, too large I think, plus I don't have the patience for that stuff. Anyway here is the plan, my car currently has an Andial intercooler, B&B headers w/ heat exchangers, B&B 4.5" dual out exhaust and a K27/29 turbo. I am considering Stephen's latest K27 iteration with Kokeln I/C and Fabspeed dual out ala Sameer's setup your two cents please. Also note the car is not tracked has big reds front and rear with 36500 miles also considering the Wevo shifter, there is ***/kit in the car but I like eye candy.
P.S. there is an adjustable boost setup which I think utilizes the stock wastegate, would the Tial make more sense and can I keep the adjustable setup, I would like to dial up from .7 bar to 1 bar for smoking the domestic iron in South East Michigan.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:01 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Crazy,
I would upgrade the turbo and add the Tial 46mm, but instead of the other mods, spend the money on a good set of cams. Modified SC grind, SC330, 964 or 20/21(?). You'll get more bang for the buck by changing the cams with the mods you currently have on your car.
The Kokeln is nice, but in the short haul the Andial is fine. It is already better than the factory IC. Same with the B&B dual outs over the Fabs, though the resonance at 3K RPM is annoying. I hear(pardon the pun) the Fabs are louder than the B&B.

my $.02

Dave
'85 Factory Slant 930
Old 11-10-2005, 10:11 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

I definately think you should at least upgrade the intercooler then send the andial to me I'll be stuck with the stock intercooler for quite a while.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:23 PM
im4duke
Racer

Here are a few projects to consider:
twin plug
crankfire
fuel head mod
EFI

You could also bolt in a cage and some nice harnesses.

I'd be happy to post your pics here if you e-mail them to me.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:17 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Schnele,
For my two cents I would go with the WEVO and upgrade the suspension. You are not going to get that much improvement by exchanging all of the items that you mentioned. You would certainly get more HP but at what cost. With your setup, you need the suspension to go with it. I have tried the WEVO and met the owner of the company and it is first class. You actually get a click when you select a gear!. The wastegate is a wastegate. The tial is pretty and it does it's job but so does the OEM. You will not notice any difference in the two. You have already got a big increase in HP and with the brake upgrade all you need is suspension tuning. H-4 headlight upgrade is a good choice as is a boost gage to replace the clock. The one in the tach is for show not tell. I had my gages painted white and now I can see them. Bottom line, next big step go EFI along with the engine changes mentioned. But you have a great car and it seems foolish to blow a wad on a partial part replacement program.
LOL,
Rudy
Old 11-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Schnele,

Stick with your Andial intercooler unless your going a full bay intercooler. Spend that money you save on the intercooler on a good set of cams. You'll love the Fabspeed muffler with B&B headers anytime over the B&B muffler. You can take my word for it. It's better hands down. Stephens K27HFS is the way to go. If your planning on going EFI than you might as well go the K27HF2 to match our future upgrades. However to my understanding, the K27HFS is good upto 550bhp which is good IMO.

I'd look into getting a good set of cams. Eithet the SC330 cams or the 964 cams. I'm running on Ruf cams and they are a bit aggresive at higher end but are to my liking.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Other than being bulky and heavy, the stock wastegate is a good unit. You can use any adjustable boost controller with the wastegate, just like a Tial or HKS wastegate. I can't really find a functional reason to replace the stock unit.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:13 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Other than being bulky and heavy, the stock wastegate is a good unit. You can use any adjustable boost controller with the wastegate, just like a Tial or HKS wastegate. I can't really find a functional reason to replace the stock unit.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news mates, but the stock units are reaching the end of their life expectancy. Parts for these units are becoming harder and harder to get. It is not just the problem with the rubber diaphrams, it's the bronze valve guide becomes worn and leaky. I replaced mine back when the car was at 70K miles from IA. No, I didn't get a pretty one ......stock aluminum tone color.
The old stock units are big, bulky, slow. If you keep the factory unit, treat it like any engine component during a rebuild, replace the serviceable pieces. The diaphram and valve guide being the two most problematic of the WG.

Rule of thumb; Always budget as much money in slowing you down, as speeding you up!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:04 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Hey guys I should have added my engine has 3.4 P&C 8:1 comp, Ruf B.T.R. Lightweight flywheel and clutch, S.C. 330 highlift cams euro fuel head and dizzy (Stinks like hell from the fuel bath) upgraded gun drilled torsion bars, revalved bilsteins with euro ride height, also an 8.39:1 ring and pinion. This car is a lot of fun as is especially at the top end but I want more. I want quicker spooling and even snappier boost. I knew a guy back in New York whose 930 could not be kept straight in 1st and 2nd gear thats kinda what i am after. EFI seems too complicated even with IA setup, long term servicing may be an issue the only reason to get rid of this car would be for a 3.6 so servicing the car is important. LP
Old 11-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Dknebes
Rennlist Member

Always plan ahead it will save you big money in the future. I have 755rwhp, but made to many steps to get there. I always had to replace previous engine components to get more hp. Go with a large full bay intercooler that will suport high hp also EFI and a good set of headers and a long list of other parts to support all that hp. Of course then you need a clutch to hold all that hp, I chose a Tilton three plate carbon, carbon, oh! Almost forgot, to put this down and keep the car going straight you need a Quaife dif. So now you have an *** kicking car and have spent over $40,000 on the Engine and Trany. It’s all about planning. If I had it all to do over I would have started with a 993 a better platform and a 3.6 motor.

David
Old 11-13-2005, 02:49 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

schnele,
e-mail me at sameer@pacific.net.sg and I will help you post pics of your ride here.

Quick Reply: WINTER BOOSTING