911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Engine ONLY Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine ONLY Removal

Just curious. I've removed several 911 engines over the years and I've always done it by removing the engine and tranny as a single unit. Even in the Factory Workshop Manual, Porsche indicates that the engine and transmission are designed to be removed togther. However, on Pelican they give instructions for leaving the transmission in the car and dropping the engine. Even the well respected "old timers" (John Walker and Henry Schmidt) claim that it's easier to remove the engine only. I think the problem with leaving the transmission in the car comes in at re-mating the engine...might be hard to re-align everything with the transmission in the car. What say the Rennlisters about this? It would be nice not having to remove the CV bolts and stuff.

In the air cooled VW world we typically leave the transmission in the car...of course the engine is much smaller and easier to move...thus easier to re-align at install time.

I should also add, that I've removed my 930 engine a couple times by dropping it with the tranny. I wonder if it's time to try something new?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:19 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know, I've always dropped them as a unit. Maybe because its the "way its always been done." Also, how do you support the tranny while its just hanging on its mounts?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:20 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it is what you are comfortable with. Foe me pulling everything at once is easier. At least on the 930. On the older NA cars I would pull the motor only.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:05 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pull it all man. Its so much easier in the long run. Sometimes mating the engine with the tranny can be a bear with it on the floor, so I can't imagine trying to mate the 2 with one in the car, and one on a jackstand.

The only additional trouble to removing them both, are the axle bolts in my opinion. They are a pain sometimes, but I'd drop them both.

2 hours flat you can have them both sitting on the floor. I've done it many times

Brian
Old 11-09-2005, 02:30 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Trust me...pull it all. It's a lot easier. To get the tranny off alone, I don't know how I could have done it w/o the full drop. Esp. on a 930
Old 11-09-2005, 02:35 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my last drop in 1 hour and 32 minutes. I drained the oil the night before, though. My secret is that I only finger tighten the CV bolts! HAHAHAHA! It really speeds things up! HA! And that annoying "clunk" that I encounter as I drive the car around, hardly bothers me any more! JUST KIDDING!
Well I was just curious. I'll continue to drop them as a single unit. I have a pallet that I rest my transmission on and it's damn near the same hight as the furniture dolley that I keep my engine on, so it really makes it a snap to separate the two and re-mate them.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:39 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sandman:

That time sounds about right. I always start draining the oil, and while that is happening I unbolt the intercooler, unhook all the EFI connections, and spark plugs from the coil packs, and by that time the oil is finished, and I can go below and unbolt the axles which takes the most amount of time.

Brian

Quick Reply: Engine ONLY Removal