911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Fuel Delivery Problem...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P.S. - 125Shifter,

If this keeps up, I may need the name of a good 930 mechanic in Houston.

I can't afford to have a car that I can't drive because of reliability issues...
Old 11-09-2005, 06:24 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it gets to that point call Sam Shalala at ProTechnik in Houston. A good guy and very knowledgable. His phone is 281-879-8861. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:12 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highly recommend going to a mechanic who is familiar with the Bosch K-Jetronic(CIS) injection system. You may pay a little on the diagnosis, but otherwise you could wind up throwing hundreds of dollars at the problem. The CIS fuel pressure tools are invaluable in tracking down a CIS fuel problem.

Dave
'85 Factory Slantnose 930
Old 11-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Update:

Fuel Pressure Relays have been replaced, and the fuel filter replaced.

The car does not even run now. I am REALLY PI55ED. I have owned the dam thing a little over two weeks and it has not even been in my garage 1/2 of that time.

There is another 1988 930 at the shop (ironically the car I thought about purchasing before I bought this lower mileage, better looking car & it runs like a champ).

The one thing that my mechanic & I have noticed is that when you turn the key to "run" on both cars, the "healthy" car's fuel pumps begin to run. Mine don't.

My mechanic for some reason believes that it has something to do with the Clifford alarm system that is on the car. I don't know.

I am fed up.

PLEASE HELP BEFORE I SLAP A FOR SALE SIGN ON THIS S-O-B at start all over.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 AM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I recommend getting a manual and going through all the checks step by step or get a mechanic that knows the car. It sounds like your mechanic doesn't.

The pumps not coming on could be a relay or could be a problem with the switch on the flapper on the CIS fuel head. Have any of the connections on the CIS been unplugged? It's easy to mix them up and then the pumps won't come on.

Check that the pumps are running, drawing the right amps, flowing the correct volume of fuel, and providing the right pressure. Then check the cold and hot pressure regulated fuel pressure.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Thanks again 125 shifter,

I will certainly follow your advice. I simply don't understand how the car could run so well (drove it back home from Houston with no problems roughly 250 miles) and then all of a sudden just deteriorate like this. I would think that if it was something like the connections on the CIS, this problem would have been more prominent earlier on....

But then again, what do I know???

Thanks again man.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:29 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cajun,
I had a nice Sunday drive last spring and drove the hell out of my car on some back roads and then I filled the gas tank up ata gas station. I drove about three miles and the engine lost most of its power and would backfire and stumble if I floored it. Needless to say I got a tank of bad fuel. The engine would not idle and to start it took a lot of accelerator tapping. If you drove it and it ran fine, maybe you filled up after your trip. I was lucky because the station paid for my repairs which cam to over $800. They included; clean and test both fuel pumps, replace filter, replace plugs, clean and replace injectors, and blow out all fuel lines.
Good luck Bro,
Rudy
Old 11-14-2005, 01:27 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Cajun,
When the ignition is turned on, the fuel pumps should NOT start running. The fuel pumps are activated when the air passes through the system and the metering plate is deflected from the air being drawn into the engine as it turns over.

Dave
'85 Factory Slantnose 930
Old 11-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Thanks Werk - I.

My mechanic changed the something (I believe it was the fuel head???) and now the car starts and runs...but under boost, it stalls, and at lights it stalls. It stalls from any speed even when the car is just cruising along at a steady speed.

I spoke with Sam @ Protenik in Houston, and if all else fails, I am going to trailer the car to him later this week.

Thanks again. I have NO IDEA what this bug could be. It really is a shame because when the car runs, it is a perfect 10.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Oh, I nearly forgot the best part. After the car dies unexpectedly, when I try to restart it, it backfires so damn loud that small animals and old people run for cover.

Nice huh?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:19 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Sam should be able to straighten it out. Shoot me a PM when you're coming to town, maybe we can have lunch or something.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:18 PM
WERK-I
Pro

You're definitely over-rich. Once the technician checks out the fuel pressures, you'll probably find the fuel delivery is ok, but the control pressure is off. Control pressure is handled by WUR(warm up regulator). Did you ever find out what part your mechanic replaced?
My bet........... 125shfiter's friend Sam will find the problem quickly.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:16 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

I agree, it sounds like a WUR problem. Has your mechanic put CIS gauges on it?

BTW, a fuel head is pretty expensive, I'd be surprised if he put one on unless he pulled it off another car. I would do a lot more tests before I changed one and then I wouldn't go with a stock one.

BTW, I have a whole 79 930 intake and ignition system sitting here if you need any parts. If it is the WUR, I just buy a NEW one.

Quick Reply: Fuel Delivery Problem...Help!