Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

euro exchangers vs schnell header

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 02:40 AM
RClewett
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way a turbo works is by exhaust gas velocity through the hot side turning the turbine blades. Back pressure on the turbo in affect reduces the exhaust gas velocity. A good book about turbo systems is Maximum Boost by Corky Bell.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:04 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the board Richard!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:44 AM
m.lovell
Intermediate

A few questions......Being a fairly new 930 turbo owner (my 3rd 911) I`m getting confused. I am at the stage when I need whole new exhaust set up, must have heat exchangers and fit a standard Turbo (for the time being). I`m in the Uk (so currently use euro exhaust system) and looking at pictures of the 930 system on B&B`s web site and the Schnel headers on there site (part numberS930H) they look nothing like mine !!! Do both reroute the cross over pipe to the back the engine ? Also dose any one have a Email address for Schnell or regular phone number as none is listed on there site and toll free dose not work for the UK as I`m looking for a complete exhaust including muffler, headers with heat exchangers and ALL the pipe work so I can unbolt the old and just bolt my turbo and waste gate ( it think thats what you call it, the big square thing bolted on to the exhaust pipes that shhhhhhh when you let the gas off, or is called a dump valve ? or is a dump valve and a waste gate the same thing ?) on too a for now stock 300 hp engine.
Would now be a good time to replace the dump valve or put a 1 bar spring in? should I also look at uprating the turbo at this time ? would I be advised to upgrade any thing else at this stage ? At the moment the engine is fine uses no oil (done 80k miles) but when I finnish my current project car going to go the full hog with a uprated engine at rebuild time

hope you can help
marc
Old 11-11-2005, 07:00 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Hi Marc,
I am in the UK too. I have bought some GHL heat exchangers. They do not go to the back of the engine, they come forward (you have to remove a oil pipe and replace it with a new line) and go straight to the turbo. Both sides meet at the turbo. These give another 30bhp, quicker spooling of the turbo but a reduction in heat output for the heater as they are stainless steel. The new oil line that is needed goes under the gearbox instead of coming towards the bumper and then under the RH wheelarch. A new tank is also needed for the turbocharger and a new oil line.

I bought mine from Imagine Auto Inc. in USA. Stephen also supplied all the parts I need to fit them.

The wastegate goes on the exhaust as you stated. The studs have all broken off of mine and I have been drilling them out, I think I will probably just get a Tial wastegate.

The dumpvalve/bypass valve is located on the intake and not the exhaust.

Here is his online store for B&B, I went for GHL though. Email Stephen, tell him what you want to do and he will work out a price for you.

http://imagineauto.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=930exhaust

porschephd@imagineauto.com

Last edited by nathanUK '81 930 G50; 11-12-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:08 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Marc, nice collection of cars!
Old 11-13-2005, 02:45 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marc,
Wlecome here. Ever since I've put in the Fabspeed muffler, theres absolutely no turning back. www.fabspeed.com
They are really worth looking into.

Quick Reply: euro exchangers vs schnell header