911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Oil accumulator

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 02:41 PM
im4duke
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil accumulator

I'm nearly finished installing my HFS turbo, but keep running into snags.

The flange from my stock oil accumulator doesn't fit well with the new turbo. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

Everything is loose and I can just get the rear bolt through into the turbo, but the forward side is way off angle.

I know that most of the muffler/header manufacturers sell a new tank setup that hangs below the turbo, and I'll probably order one soon, but I would like to get my car running again this weekend. My stock setup should fit right?!
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Gino
Racer

I'm not positive about this...
but don't the intake and exhaust turbo housing rotate independently of each other when you loosen those "brass/gold colored bolts on each inside face? would that give you enough alignment to mate the accumulator flange with the turbo?
Old 10-01-2005, 03:56 PM
im4duke
Racer

Hmmm....that would be nice. I think I would want a definitive OK from Kevin and/or Stephen before I going there. If the turbo is not "clocked" right, that might also explain why the compressor outlet seems to be lined up too far aft.

Otherwise, after speaking with slownrusty, I have one short-term option: cut the tube on the oil accumulator and fit a tube in there with clamps. This would get me on the road.

Come Monday I'll order an aftermarket accumulator and line.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:33 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have the clamps on both the hot and cold sides. You can rotate them as needed to make it fit better.

Can you turn the tank 180 degrees and bolt it in?
Old 10-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

The clocking of the turbochargers that I build are to factory templates. However, if your heat exchangers or exhaust have been "bumped" in a driveway things can change. I see a bolt in the picture that is really off angle, what is it?

Never, clock the turbo on the car.. Mark the housing where you think you need to move the housing to correct the offset. Barely loosen up the 6 turbine housing bolts. However if you by mistake jamb or bind the turbine housing against the turbine wheel, turbocharger failure is greatly increased.. Gently rotate the housing. We want a slip fit, we don't want bolts removed, just loosened to start the rotation of the housing. Then check the alignment. Pull the turbo off and tighten the bolts in a cross pattern.

From the alignment in the pictures it looks like your tank is out of shape.. The turbine flange looks straight with the bottom of the bearing housing..
Old 10-02-2005, 04:55 PM
im4duke
Racer

Default Turbo alignment

Kevin, the bolt you see is one of the four bolts that hold the turbine housing to the exhaust pipe. It is off angle because it is completely loose.

I removed the HFS and have made some gross observations and comparisons to the 7006 which it is replacing. The rotational position of the housing is different between the two units. This is obviously the reason why my accumulator will not bolt up to the new unit and also why I had much difficulty connecting my charge-air hose.

Here are some pics that show the differences:

In the 1st pic, at the bottom of the housings, look at the angle of the nut on the 7006 and the bolt on the HFS. I have drawn a line to show it more clearly. These are both coming off the same threaded hole for the accumulator.

In the 2nd and 3rd pics, the distance from my reasonably flat stainless countertop to the mating surface for the accumulator is off by 0.25" between the 2 units.

In the 4th and 5th pics, look at the angle of the compressor outlet.

One of the two units is out of alignment, maybe both. Either way, I need to know what situation I'm faced with before I decide what to do.

Can someone provide another data point to the vertical distance I showed above from the countertop to the accumulator surface, or possibly provide me with a reference dimension that I could reasonably measure in my garage?

Thanks,
Maxx
Attached Images      
Old 10-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Do what I said, and loosen the turbine housing bolts and re-clock the housing..
Old 10-02-2005, 07:15 PM
im4duke
Racer

Thanks for the instructions Kevin. I'm not ready to go there yet.

Can you tell from the information and pics I provided if one or both of the turbos is out of alignment?

If not, can you at least give me a dimension to check?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I can't tell you why things aren't lining up, however, use your 7006 as a guide template. And clock the "S" just like it.. Don't try to re-invent the wheel.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:37 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your old one fit so that is your template to go by.

As you can see in the last two pics, the hot sides are your starting point. Loosen the clamps and rotate your cold side to match the angle of the outlet of your old turbo. You may need to also loosen and rotate the center section to match the center of your old turbo. When all done, they should have the same angles and match up easier.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by im4duke

In the 4th and 5th pics, look at the angle of the compressor outlet.

Thanks,
Maxx
Old 10-02-2005, 11:58 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Maxx - Any luck with re-positioning \ re-clocking the HFS to fit properly?

Yasin
Old 10-04-2005, 01:02 AM
im4duke
Racer

Yasin,

I am ready to do it now, but just got home and it's already well after 10PM!!! Have to be up at 5:30AM tomorrow morning.

Maybe tomorrow night. Should only take 10-15 minutes. Will let you know.

Cheers,
Maxx
Old 10-04-2005, 09:59 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

All work and no play makes Maxx a dull boy!

Yasin
Old 10-05-2005, 07:27 PM
im4duke
Racer

I adjusted the rotational alignment of my turbine housing last night and things line up much better now. Thanks guys (Kevin, Stephen, Steve) for the guidance. I don't see any change in the clearance between any of the compressor or turbine blades and their respective housings as a result of my adjustments. Shaft spins freely without play or noise.

When I get home tonite I intend to complete the install and leak test. Will post a new pic if successful.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Gino
Racer

glad to have pointed you in the correct direction of the solution... albeit not very confidently.

Quick Reply: Oil accumulator