911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Transmission Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:29 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Mounts

I'm in the process of ordering the Wevo rear engine mounts (the semi-solid jobs) from Pelican. At the same time, I'd like to do the transmission mounts. However on Pelican they claim that the individual transmisson mounts CAN'T be replaced without replacing the entire cross-member!!! To the tune of $554.80! I copied this from their parts catalog: Note: It is not possible to replace the mounts on the 1976-89 911 Turbo and the 1987-89 911 Carrera without replacing the entire motor mount crossbar support. That seems strange to me! Is this true? is there an alternative? I just find it hard to believe that Porsche would design this so that the entire cross-member needs to be replaced and not the individual mounts! Please advise as I'd like to place my order today.

Many Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by sand_man; 09-26-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,
Would you know if the Wevo engine mounts make/transmit any noise into the cabin?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:45 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Sammy...I did a little research on Pelican, and I think these will be a good compromise between full blown racing inspired solid type mounts and the softer OEM ones. Being that I have stock ones now, I'll probably notice a small increase in vibration, but I don't think it will be bothersome
Old 09-26-2005, 02:08 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

sand_man, I did a big search for these two years ago, and came up with only one guy that makes them. Stomski racing. see second or third item in this list.

http://www.stomskiracing.com/products.html

I have'm on my car and have no issues. ...just remember to save two of those big washers from the stock mounts.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:21 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoeMag
sand_man, I did a big search for these two years ago, and came up with only one guy that makes them. Stomski racing. see second or third item in this list.

http://www.stomskiracing.com/products.html

I have'm on my car and have no issues. ...just remember to save two of those big washers from the stock mounts.
JoeMag...you are like mana from the heavens above! Thanks man! That's exactly what I was looking for!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:39 PM
PT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are using the car as a street car, I'd research a bit more about solid mounts before getting them.
I would think about ride quality and impact on chassis before the installation.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:35 AM
Sameer
Race Car

sandman,
keep me posted if they do make any sort of sounds or vibrations whatsoever
Old 09-27-2005, 10:12 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by PT
If you are using the car as a street car, I'd research a bit more about solid mounts before getting them.
I would think about ride quality and impact on chassis before the installation.
I think I'll go ahead with the Wevo semi-solid rear engine mounts and see how that goes. If it's to my liking, then I'll move forward on the Stromski Racing solid tranny mounts. Those do look a little intense! Nice stuff though!
Old 09-27-2005, 06:42 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

....I don't recall much more engine noise with solid mounts (trans/engine) but you can really hear trans much more. gears really whine down long straights, pretty cool. remember this is full race car though with no windows, interior, etc.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:12 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I've bought WEVO's for the engine mounts on my current project but I'm planning to use the stock mount for the tranny. Anyone have another solution for less rigid tranny mounts? Maybe it's time for one of the small aftermarket guys to make some. I need them so I'll design them if someone will give me the prototypes for free.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Wow...Sand_man...you have been a busy boy lately!

I'm afraid to ask what's next on the list?

Yasin
Old 09-28-2005, 12:10 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Wow...Sand_man...you have been a busy boy lately!

I'm afraid to ask what's next on the list?

Yasin
Actually, I've been seriously thinking about rebuilding the top end. Just in the planning stages now, but I'll be putting through some question/advice threads in the near future about it. The car is running better than ever and I probably shouldn't mess with it...I guess it's for my own peace of mind! I'm thinking about going "big balla" and doing the JE pistons and LN Engineering "Nickie" cylinders with ARP studs and fasteners. Problem is these parts will quickly eat up my budget thus not leaving much left to rebuild the heads. For an engine that really will never see track time, this might be overkill. So I might just be looking at the tried and true Mahle P&Cs! Anyway...that's another thread that will be coming soon.

Last edited by sand_man; 09-28-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:53 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Just wanted to add this link from Pelican. I think Wevo can exchange the tranny crossmember for you (you send them yours and they send you theirs with new Wevo semi-solid mounts installed). Or they can send you instructions for how to modify your own beam. Just FYI for those who might be interested:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...t&pagenumber=1
I checked the Wevo websight and can't find any mention of this service though???
Old 09-29-2005, 12:27 PM
sand_man
Drifting

And the plot thickens. For the transmission mounts, if you need an immediate fix and don't want to deal with sending your cross-beam off to Wevo, you can press/pry off the rubber mounts from the beam and replace with Pelican's "Polygraphite" mounts. I think that's the route I'm taking. My Wevo semi-solids just arrived today, so I'll run those on the engine and the polygraphite on the tranny.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...t=polygraphite

By the way, my company's mail-room clerk just handed me the Wevo package and these semi-sold mounts are works of art! Almost too nice use...ALMOST that is! HA!
Old 10-05-2005, 05:01 AM
Sameer
Race Car

sand_man,
Did you install the mounts yet? Feedback? How abt the engine mounts?

Quick Reply: Transmission Mounts