Procedure for Adjusting shift coupling needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:54 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procedure for Adjusting shift coupling needed

A few weeks ago I had to remove my shift coupler that is at the end of the shift rod that mates with the tranny shift linkage. Before removing it I marked it appropriately, so that when I reinstalled it I could put it back the way it was. But evidently I can't get it adjusted right. I can go into all of the gears except for Reverse, and when I'm in 1st, it looks like the shifter is in the reverse position.

Does anyone know the procedure that is normally used when replacing the coupling. It would seem to me that I would want to turn the tranny shift linkage and place the tranny in 4th gear. Then line my shifter up in 4th gear, and make any adjustments as necessary to the coupling itselft to make it line up properly in that position.

Any other procedures I can try?

Brian
Old 07-06-2005, 01:59 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Brian -- Here's what I did when I replaced mine. Pull the boot up on your shifter lever so you can see the little plastic insert in the aluminum housing. the plastic insert resembles a 4 pointed star. move the shift lever between 1/2 or 3/4 so you can see how much it moves fore and aft (note mentally). then repostion the coupler so you can get the car in reverse. put car in reverse and loosen the coupler again. Move the shift lever as far to the left as you can with a little clearance to the plastic insert and leave enough travel aft (visually) so that you can get car into 2nd or 4th. You'll need to do this easy so you don't completely pull shift rod from coupler or pull out of reverse. What this did for me is put the shifter as far left and aft as possible. ...as you know these 930 shifters are really not in the optimal place and I found myself reaching slightly for 4th with the short shift kit and strapped in my seat.

naturally you may need to tweek a time or two.

--Joe
Old 07-06-2005, 06:08 PM
PT
Racer

Brian, what you said should work...

From my memory, the factory method is to line up the tranny and your shifter in the 3rd/4th plane but in neutral. For the tranny, it means rotating the shaft completely counterclockwise. Then set the position of your shifter then tighten the screw. Next step is to try it out & see if it can engage each gear positively and fine tune the adjustment.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Mike F
Advanced

Sorry I don't have a scanner(I really should get one), but here are the instructions from the factory workshop manual.
1. Loosen selector rod clamp. Turn selector rod for transmission's inner selector lever left in idle to stop(as seen in driving direction). Note: pic shows this to mean clockwise as looking towards the rear of the car.

2.Move selector lever in idle position so that the lower part of the selector lever is vertical and on the right stop (3rd and 4th gear).

3. Tighten selector rod clamp slightly.

4. Check if shift travel is just as large in 1st through 4th gears and if reverse is easy to engage. Correct adjustments if necessary.

5. Tighten hex nut on clamp to speccifications. (As best as I can tell this is 25NM)
Old 07-06-2005, 11:22 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help guys! I'll try it tomorrow.

Brian
Old 07-08-2005, 09:18 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

MikeF: the procedure you gave me worked like a charm. It took me about 3 times to get it right where I wanted it, and where it felt like it use to, but the procedure was spot-on.

THANKS!

Brian
Old 04-19-2015, 03:41 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

After sitting all winter, my '88 930 wont shift into reverse. No go - the gear just aint there. Forward gears are okay -- after pushing the car out of the garage it drove fine going forward. I think I need to adjust the coupling as well. I probably had it replaced or adjusted by my mechanic 5-6yrs ago so perhaps I need to give it a little TLC again.

I need really dumbed-down instructions for this. Like you were attempting to instruct a 6yr old how to do this so they wouldnt screw up -- because if I can screw something up its a guarantee I will.

I know where the doggie door is behind the front seats. After that I dont know squat. If someone can talk Mr Stupid through this with bulletproof instructions I can follow on my tablet as I straddle myself into a pretzel inside the car, that would be awesome. See my avatar. That's me trying to fix anything. Id rather try to just "adjust" the thing rather than order new bushing/washer thingamajiggies on the first attempt to solve the problem.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:02 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Anyone?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Remotecontroller
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello! I have a 1988 930 and I read this post which mentions the plastic insert under the boot. When I was replacing the shifter rod bushing and cup I noted the position of the plastic insert, but was surprised that the hole for the shifter was offset to the passenger side of the car. I would think the hole would keep the shifter handle closer to the drivers leg.

I have tried to find examples of this online but have been unable to - can anybody confirm for me which way the plastic shifter "gate" that goes under the rubber boot should go? It seemed like it could be rotated 180 degrees.

As an aside, the shifter doesn't like the 1st and second gear shifting and it seemed like the gate was also not symetrical so I was wondering if this part might be interfering with the shift.

Thanks!

Ken

Quick Reply: Procedure for Adjusting shift coupling needed