1982 DP 935 Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 08:31 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 DP 935 Information

Hello there everyone-

A few months ago, I bought my first p-car from a friend of mine. It's a 1982 DP 935, and it was next to impossible to find out any information on it from anyone, other than it was a stock 930 that was "worked on" by DP. Seems like everyone had heard of Ruff, but not DP.

Needless to say, I've been on the lookout for any/all information that I can find with respect to the car, and just ran across an old Road and Track article that I'd thought I'd post, in case anyone else is looking around.

It's got some pics with the article, but I'll leave those out.

Originally Posted by Road And Track -- The Specialty File -- by Csaba Csere -- 1982

DP 935

Fantasies fulfilled, no waiting.

What's your most outrageous automotive fantasy? Being strapped into the beak of a 917 as it screams along the Mlsanne straight, clawing for speed without end? Being the center of automotive attention, experiencing vicarious adulation in a machine that inspires universal respect? Perhaps you're turned on by the thought of mastering a car so potent, so lethal, that any serious mistake is likely to be your last. Or do you simply wish to rise above your peers by driving a car so far beyond the capabilities of the four-wheeled masses that you will feel like a god on wheels?

Here's a car that can fulfill every one of these fantasies with startling realism. The DP 935 started lifes as a Porsche 930, but has been transformed into a roadgoing facsimile of a racing 935. The fiberglass panels that accomplish this were flawlessly executed by Designer Plastics Automobilbau, the bodywork couturier of Kremer Racing, among others. The oversize rear spoiler; the hopelessly low, curb-fouling, deeply ducted front air dam; the tiny, aerodynamic, nearly useless mirrors; the running boards; and the broad, multifariously vented fenders combine to create the 935 look convincingly enough to freeze knowledgeable car lovers dead in their tracks.

Inside the DP 935, the competition imagery continues. Although the sumptious Porsche leather interior is retained, a serious go-fast ambiance is imparted by the oversize boost guauge; the pure-racing, perforated-aluminium dead pedal; and the very businesslike adjustable boost **** directly astern of the shift lever. A pair of Porsche sport seats are comforatble and suppotive enough to locate the passengers against the omnidirectional accelerations this car produces. No sound system is provided, or particularly missed; sensory overload is already ensured by the DP's raspy exhaust, over-the-nose-cone-view, and heavy thrust.

Generating this thrust is a DP modified engine. The carefully assembled stock 930 motor was ripped apart and blueprinted to stricter-than-Zuffenhausen standards, the heads were ported and polished (along with the turbo's inlet housing), and the compression was bumped up a tad. peak boost is set at 16 psi, more than 3 psi higher than in a stock 930. The engine was also emissions-certified in America with a catalyst in lieu of the muffler; this modification substituted a sharper rasp, though not much louder, for the standard 930's whooshy sound. It did no, however, permit the engine to run on any unleaded fuel that we could find, so we resorted to heavy transfusions of octane booster to keep detonations at bay.

Our miscreancy was rewarded with rocket-sled performance. The DP 935 lunged from a standing start to 60 mph in a mere 4.6 seconds, 100 came up in but 10.5 seconds, and 130 was only another 8.8 seconds away. It scorched the quarter-mile in 12.8 seconds at 112 mph. But even these fabulous figures don't convey the car's sheer thrust. The DP 935 delivers an incredibly strong shove in the back, and the punch never seems to quit. Even at 120 mph it pulls harder than a Scirocco at 50. Not until well past 140 mph does your breath come back and the acceleration of this juggernaut fall to a familiar level.

In light of this tremendous proclivity for speed, the car's peak of 162 mph is a bit disappointing. But with the DP's fifteen-inch tires (the stock diameter is sixteen inches), the engine is revving well beyond its power peak at top speed. The exhaust-plugging, after-market catalyst probably didn't help the power curve past 6000 rpm either.

Ther smaller-diameter tires are part of the DP 935's chassis meliorations. Porsche forged wheels, eight and eleven inches wide, front and rear, are shot with 205/50VR-15 and 285/40VR-15 Pirelli P7 gumballs. The suspension is lowered and stiffened as well. These changes firm up the ride considerably, but the motion left within the limited suspension travel is fluid and supple. Like the rest of the car, this suspension feels best in triple-digit speed ranges. It also happens to work around corners; on the skidpad, we measured 0.84 g of stick, the best we've ever seen on a roadgoing Porsche.

These landmark performance measurements bolster the DP 935's postion as a paragon of automotive omnipotence. And for a mere $95,000, Richard Buxbaum of Classic Motors in Chicago can make it yours. That may seem a bit high, but fantasy fulfillment never comes cheap.

--Csaba Csere

Vehicle type: rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive 2-passenger, 2-door coupe
Price as tested: $95,000
Engine type: turbocharged and intercooled flat 6, aluminum block and heads, Bosch K-Jetronic fuel ingection
Displacement: 201 cu in, 3299 cc
Power (SAE, net, estimated): 390 bhp @ 5500 rpm
Transmission: 4-speed
Wheelbase: 89.4 in
Length: 170.0 in
Curb Weight: 2910 lbs
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 seconds
Zero to 100 mph: 10.5 seconds
Zero to 130 mph: 19.3 seconds
Standing 1/4 mile: 12.8 secs @ 112 mph
Top speed: 162 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 179 ft
Roadholding, 282-ft-dia skidpad: 0.84 g
Road horsepower @ 50 mph: 13.5 hp
C/D observed fuel economy: 17 mpg
Needless to say, it sounds like he liked it.

If anyone has any other information, articles, stories, etc., about DP 935's, I'd love to hear them or see them.

...jeff
Old 01-19-2005, 11:58 AM
Steve 935
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Congradulations on your purchase!!
The DP cars have always been my favorite.I have a cover and write up from European Car magazine.Send me a PM with your email.

Steve
Old 01-19-2005, 12:04 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

The best article I ever read about the DP935 was written in either Augst of 1985 or 1986 in Car and Driver. The name of the article was "All Bow Down" and was about a guy that picked one up right before going to his high school reunion.

The Car and Driver magazine had the 6 cylinder Pontiac Fiero Gt on the cover if I recall.

It was a great article. I must've read that article 100 times over the years, but unfortunately, I cannot find my copy of the magazine (yes I saved it).

Brian
Old 01-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jgrant,

love your ride, it's not just rare but unique. Curious, on the mods it has and at that boost level, does it still retain the stock intercooler?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:34 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
The best article I ever read about the DP935 was written in either Augst of 1985 or 1986 in Car and Driver. The name of the article was "All Bow Down" and was about a guy that picked one up right before going to his high school reunion.

The Car and Driver magazine had the 6 cylinder Pontiac Fiero Gt on the cover if I recall.

It was a great article. I must've read that article 100 times over the years, but unfortunately, I cannot find my copy of the magazine (yes I saved it).

Brian
It might have been talking about the 3rd series of the DP 935, which came out in 1987. Those are the only other DP's I've seen around (barret jackson website, etc.).

I'll take a look for that C&D... thanks for the heads up.

...jeff
Old 01-19-2005, 12:34 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve 935
Congradulations on your purchase!!
The DP cars have always been my favorite.I have a cover and write up from European Car magazine.Send me a PM with your email.
Steve
PM sent.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:44 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sameer
jgrant,

love your ride, it's not just rare but unique. Curious, on the mods it has and at that boost level, does it still retain the stock intercooler?
Hey there Sameer-

The boost level shows 1.2 bar (max) under full load, according to the guages, and I'm not sure if the intercooler is stock or not... it's what it came with when I got it, and I can't tell if it's original or not.

I do know that the 935DP Type II (what I have) is basically a DP modified 930, and according to the DP spec sheet I have, their Type I (precursor to the II) was built for 6 years prior to 1982.

My particular car was manufactured in '82 in Europe (has a ZZZ VIN) and then imported into the US. (I also understand that North American 930's were manufactured in '79 and '84, with nothing in '82.

This is the content (verbatim, including spelling mistakes) from the spec sheet that came with the car, from DP Motorsport:

Originally Posted by DP Spec Sheet

935 DP, description and technical data

The new DP 935 type II is a further development of type I, that has been built successfully for 6 years. It resembles the racing car bodies designed and built by our company which enabled Klaus Ludwig to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the racing sports chanpionship in the same year.

Basic model is always the Porsche 911. It is of no importance, however, if a Porsche S-C, Carrera, Turbo, Targa or Convertible is being modified. The following major modifications measures turn a Porsche into a DP 935:

1 front spoiler with headlights, turn signals, glass covers and oil cooler grid
1 rear bumper with tail lights and license plate illumination
2 flat front fenders with grilles, wheel flares, and tank pit
2 rear side parts with brake ventilation and wheel flares
2 large doors sills with embedded logotype
1 trunk hood, oilcooler exhaust duct
1 rear spoiler with large grille, additional air lovers and improved loading air supply
2 outside rear view mirrors (Genuine racing type)
1 heavy duty oilcooler in the front of the car
2 rims in front, 9 inches, with 2 tires 225/50x15/P7
2 rims in the rear, 13 inches, with 2 tires 345/35x15/P7
4 spacers
1 front acle reinforcement bar
1 center console (various equipment options)
1 foot support
1 completely new suspension kit
2 stabilizers in front and in the rear
1 complete paint job with outside color striping
1 approval by state safety agency

Optional Equipment:

various interiors in leather and velours materials
various stereo equipment
consoles with different instrumentation
(mine has) performance improvements of the turbo engine up to 400 hp
(mine has) adjustable boost on turbo models
(mine has) large boost gauge
(mine has) aspirating engine with increased displacement and power
(mine has) special steel exhaust systems
targa or convertible version with turbo engine
aluminium roll bar with leather cover
(mine has) modified hi-performance front suspension
(mine has) shorter shifting distances
various sport seats
light weight bodies

Mine also has AC and a power sunroof.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:58 PM
turboGary
Racer

Cool write-ups! That car must have been a blast when it first came out. Sometimes I feel under powered when I see that most cars these days are coming stock with 300+ hp in 4dr sedan style. But hey, they aren't a Porsche and people still move over when tey see these cars coming up the rear.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Steve 935
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith

Brian

I have that article also.I will send it to Jeff later when I get home.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:45 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Steve 935
Instructor

I remember when I saw my first DP935.I was still in High School (circa 1982) and my friends brother just purchased a 930 and had some mods (adjust boost,lowered,exhaust)done to it.When we went to pick it up there was a DP935 sitting in the showroom.The car just looked so radical and wide!That is when I knew I had to have one.BTW,the price tag on it at the time(1982) was $135K.I have some Dupont's from the late 80's and early 90's with DP's for sale ranging from $135 - $200k.

I purchased my red DP935 about 14 years ago.It is suppose to be one of three built with a RUF engine.I was so taken with these cars that I also purchased Rod Stewart's black one.I really miss that era of the 930's and still love the older cars.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:58 PM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

VERY cool. I got mine for a steal due to an associate going through some tough times (divorce, SEC stuff, etc.).

This one was Pete Rose's car originally.

Rumour has it that it was originally ordered by Mario Andretti, but he opted to exchange it for one with white leather interior and guages. (I'm trying to get verification of this from DP). At the time, he was partners with Pete in some racing venture, which is how Pete came to get it. I do have that paperwork.

What year is your DP 935? What are the spec's on the RUF engine?

Last edited by jgrant; 07-07-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:29 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve 935, if you find that article can can you image it and put it out here on the site, or email it to me at briankeithsmith@ctc.net

Thanks,

Brian
Old 01-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Steve 935
Instructor

Brian,
I was just digging for the magazine and can't find it right now.It was about a guy driving a DP935 to his hight school reunion and all the wild reactions he got.I know it's somewhere .I will post the European Car article and send it if you want.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Steve 935
Instructor

European Car Magazine

Quick Reply: 1982 DP 935 Information