Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

HP upgrade??????

Old 10-10-2004, 01:17 AM
raceman77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lf you want that kind of horsepower don`t waste your money on an early car like that, which from the sounds of it is a fine example of a properly modded,balanced 930. Sell it and buy a RUF or another respected tuner car done right.700 hp is no joke and in spite many bogus claims there are few Porsches out there sporting that Hp that are reliable.Check out the specs on the RUF Yellowbird or CTR,cars which don`t claim 700 Hp but blow the doors off every other vehicle on the road.Oh yeah,they idle in traffic and the heat and A/C work perfectly.l`ve got too much $$$$ into my turbo but l was in no position to do anything but build one up.The smart move is to start at the top,buy a built car that really works like a used RUF.lf you do that you`ll have the best,fastest reliable Porsche out there for a lot less then you`ll spend experimenting.500 Hp will take you to over 200mph easily
Old 10-11-2004, 09:50 PM
SoFast
Racer

I have heard of the CTR and Yellwobird, but I do believe there are alot of guys out there who can build just as nice of a car if not better. As for the car, I like the one I just purchased and I just want to improve upon what is already a decent ride. That is why I want as much input as possible so that I may do this 100% correct.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:03 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

None of the classic tuners took a 930 to 700hp. As I recall Yellowbird was 500 or so. You have some serious component issues to consider in going much above 500. Look to the suspension and drivetrain mods to the high hp 935's. Titanium everywhere!
Old 10-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

From my track experience, the 930 chassis in street form, with stock style suspension (although upgraded) doesn't like much more than about 550hp.

I also agree that the RUF cars were exceptional cars for their time. However, technology has changed and I agree that there are people who can build a much better package today. With engine management systems as flexible as MoTeC for example, you can exploit the 3.4l much more than RUF could in the 80s.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Ruf offers is not just powerfull cars but reliable powerfull cars. The Yellowbird produced 521bhp at 1.2 bar of boost pressure.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:38 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jhunt@huntinter
None of the classic tuners took a 930 to 700hp. As I recall Yellowbird was 500 or so. You have some serious component issues to consider in going much above 500. Look to the suspension and drivetrain mods to the high hp 935's. Titanium everywhere!
The best tuners were making over 700hp, but how long they lasted at full whack is another question
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turbo-930-forum/158633-800-hp-turbo-beast-at-ebay.html

The Ruf CTR aka Yellowbird idles like a pig, a function of the cams and the pressure sensing hybrid Motronic, the A/C and heating work perfectly for a late '80s air cooled 911- oh and it has crap fuel consumption compared to modern Porsche turbos and stinks of gas
Having said all that it is still a benchmark for acceleration and top speed
Old 10-12-2004, 11:52 AM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Right from RUF's website. Note the Yellowbird was capable of 342kph (205mph) and had "just" 462 hp (the later CTR2 produced 520 bhp at 5,800 rpm). You don't need 700hp to go fast. In my opinion 450hp is almost too much for the 930 chassis on the street.

John

Porsche´s sensation in the late 1980s was the 959, a high tech 911 with sophisticated four-wheel drive, adjustable chassis and a 450 bhp twin turbo engine.

It was the time of top speed records, and Ruf introduced its record-breaking car in 1987: The CTR, a lightweight 911 with a high tech engine.

The use of lighter materials such as aluminium for doors and bonnet knocks a full 200 kg off the Carrera´s body weight. From a capacity of 3,349 cm³ the company´s very first twin turbo flat six produces 469 bhp at 5,950 rpm delivered to the rear wheels via a five-speed manual transmission. 330 mm
five-speed manual transmission. 330 mm cross-drilled & vented Brembo brakes provide the negative acceleration.

The CTR features the Denloc system which had been developed in cooperation with the tyre manufacturer Dunlop. The system enabled one to drive home with a punctured tyre.

In 1987 the CTR faced the sports car establishment at the Volkswagen test track, Ehra-Lessien. The Formula One World Champion Phil Hill and the Le Mans winner Paul Frère set up a top speed of 339.9 km/h, thus making the RUF CTR the fastest production automobile!

One year later, Bernd Ostmann, today the chief editor of “auto motor und sport“, even reached 342 kph at the Nardo track in Italy.

With the 911 CTR, Ruf had developed a supercar suitable for everyday use that exceeds the performance of the Ferrari F40.

Last edited by jhunt@huntinter; 10-12-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

My 3.4l engines produce 550hp@.7bar of boost, idle smooth without smelling of gasoline, produce good low end power and will get 20mpg. This is using a MoTeC ECU configured to meter fuel using a pressure sensor.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:47 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the 930 chassis too dated to upgrade for handling over 500 HP? If it is possible, what would have to be done?
Old 10-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Not at all, it just needs a cage (tied to suspenstion), coilover suspension, revised and adjustable pickup points which can be accomplished by the ERP adjustable components. AND, it is just my opinion (not worth much) that about 550hp is the limit for a torsion bar suspended chassis and maximum alignment capability (-1.5 camber front, -2 rear, etc.)
Old 10-12-2004, 06:19 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geoffrey,
Do you have a coilover suspension? Is it to harsh of a ride on the street?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I am still running torsion bars, 23mm front and 33mm rear which is the stiffest I know of. I'm also running custom revalved shocks for those bars and SRP 27mm sway bars. The ride is firm/stiff, but not unbearable and I have driven my car 4+ hours to tracks from time-to-time. A 964 cup car for instance is sprung stiffer than this setup. I believe converting to coilover suspension provides better feel due to the inherent design advantages. However, I chose to retain the torsion bars because I believe that the chassis shock mounting points are not strong enough to support the full weight of a car in street trim (3000lbs), high HP, and track usage. Opinions vary on the subject, and mine is just one. You'll find people who say the chassis is strong enough, and perhaps they are right, but I belive they need to be reinforced and tied together with a cage so the chassis does not crack over time with hard usage.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:26 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

It isn't just the suspension. While a blast at the track some of the things that we might take for granted to help us in our daily drive is not available. So you have a 450+hp car but no traction control, no abs, very un-linear torque curve, no airbags :-O

Even top drivers of the 934 and 935's (that had 500 to 800hp) thought the cars were a hazard... even as they dominated and won races. How many of us have that level of driving skill? You might, but not me.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

With good tires I don't have a problem with traction or abrupt power delivery in my design, the power is very linear and very smooth, even in the rain. FWIW, I have utilized MoTeC Traction Control, Pit Speed Limiting, and Launch controls on several cars, so technology can be adapted. The newer 91 and up turbos can have the racing ABS applied as well.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:01 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that expecting high Drive Train performance and great handling in the same package is a little optimistic. Especially from the 930 Chassis. To some degree from any 911 based chassis. Thats not why I do it, and I think its not why some others do it either. If you think that Ruf has some magic formula, think again. What he knows is how to seperate you from your money. I can name many companies who can offer "more bang for your buck" than Ruf. I think thats a well known fact. I know of one company who developed a 930, Road and Track tested it, and agreed it was superior to the Ruf product at the time. I also know that Ruf was asked to attend the same "run off" but declined.

I don't think any Ruf product has anything over any other Porsche 930 Hotrod. Most of products offered in the US by many companies is also included in the Ruf product. The engines have mostly the same internal components, and the suspension parts are all available from suppliers. The external body and paint, interior and some special little touches make up the Ruf packages. The real difference here is that he supplies a "finished" product. Many here offer semi finished packages. This is due to the customer wanting his cake without paying for it. If tuners here told the customer you can't get what you want for that amount of money, it may be different. But many do not do this, and poor quality products often not properly tested, tuned etc are supplied. Those who wish to pay into Louis retirement fund do get a finished product. There are companies here that offer the same or better quality also.
So, in my opinion, you can get the same, but to expect modern performance from the 911 chassis and drivetrain is not been very realistic. If thats what you want, dig deeper into that money jar and buy something else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HP upgrade??????