Which 3.3 choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 12:52 PM
Johnnysband
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Which 3.3 choose?

Good evening everyone.
I just decided to change my 996 with a 930 turbo 3.3.
I’ve started my research. I’ll do with calm, I have no hurry. I want to find the right car.
As you know, 3.3 version has been made from 1977 to 1989. It would be great to find an 1989 version with 5 gears, however which MY you think is the best one? I know every year of production they made some update to the model so I think last years are the best. You agree?
Thank you.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
ahenthus
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you're putting way too much thought in it. The best thing you can do is find the best 3.3 you can afford and buy it. If it's an 89, you've hit the jackpot. If possible you need to drive some air cooled 911s of the vintage you desire. They are a much different animal than the newer cars. There are nuances between model years of 3.3 but all are very similar and not worth worrying over. Good luck in your search but be sure you don't want power steering and all the nannies that your 996 has and don't forget a good PPI. 930s are not normally daily drivers but are a lot of fun.
The following users liked this post:
Johnnysband (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
Johnnysband
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ahenthus
I think you're putting way too much thought in it. The best thing you can do is find the best 3.3 you can afford and buy it. If it's an 89, you've hit the jackpot. If possible you need to drive some air cooled 911s of the vintage you desire. They are a much different animal than the newer cars. There are nuances between model years of 3.3 but all are very similar and not worth worrying over. Good luck in your search but be sure you don't want power steering and all the nannies that your 996 has and don't forget a good PPI. 930s are not normally daily drivers but are a lot of fun.
Thank you for your answer.
I’m looking for a 930 infact not as daily driver, but to use on the weekends.
I already own a 1987 Ferrari Gts Turbo…I know exactly what you mean about power steering!!!
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 141 Posts

IMHO buy the best car. Year comes 2nd. I've been told '79 was the last year to have the exact same brakes as the 917 (I may have the wrong race car) but otherwise they all look the same to me lol (Flamesuit on!)
Old Today, 05:07 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

I own both the 4 speed and the 5 speed. 90% of the time I'm driving my 4 speed. A lot more fun to drive imo

Quick Reply: Which 3.3 choose?