Help request on a 1976 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2024, 04:23 PM
indianam3
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Help request on a 1976 911 Turbo

Dear Members,

I am in the home stretch of a 1976 911 Turbo Carrera restoration, all mechanicals done, etc, I am now on the last step, paint. The car was about to go into the paint booth when in taking everything down to bare metal, they (the group doing the paint/body work) found the bad pitted black rust right below the rear window. The issue is they cannot save the part (way too far gone) and as all of you know that rail below the rear window is actually a part that wraps around and includes the top. So, I am looking to see if anyone has or knows anyone that has a parts car or wrecked car that would be willing to cut out the rail below the rear window. I have shown in my picture attached below (not my car), but shows what I need well, the section I need. As I understand it, it does not have to be a turbo. Any 911 coupe from 1973 - 1983 should be the same here. The paint and body group is looking as am I, we have called about 20 companies like DC Auto, Restoration design, etc., and cannot find a solution. Thx in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer!! Always appreciated!!

Old 08-17-2024, 07:29 AM
Stamatis
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by indianam3
Dear Members,

I am in the home stretch of a 1976 911 Turbo Carrera restoration, all mechanicals done, etc, I am now on the last step, paint. The car was about to go into the paint booth when in taking everything down to bare metal, they (the group doing the paint/body work) found the bad pitted black rust right below the rear window. The issue is they cannot save the part (way too far gone) and as all of you know that rail below the rear window is actually a part that wraps around and includes the top. So, I am looking to see if anyone has or knows anyone that has a parts car or wrecked car that would be willing to cut out the rail below the rear window. I have shown in my picture attached below (not my car), but shows what I need well, the section I need. As I understand it, it does not have to be a turbo. Any 911 coupe from 1973 - 1983 should be the same here. The paint and body group is looking as am I, we have called about 20 companies like DC Auto, Restoration design, etc., and cannot find a solution. Thx in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer!! Always appreciated!!
have you tried AASE in Ohio?
Old 08-17-2024, 09:46 AM
indianam3
Racer

Thx! Just reached out to them. We will see.
Old 08-18-2024, 11:06 AM
johnlush
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Restoration Design has them.

<https://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP226L>
Old 08-18-2024, 02:21 PM
indianam3
Racer

Originally Posted by johnlush
Restoration Design has them.

<https://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP226L>
I called them and sent them an email. They said they did not have anything that could help me, but I will try them again Monday. Thx!!
Old 08-21-2024, 06:50 PM
indianam3
Racer

FYI to all - issue closed and part found. I was not able to find the part at any of the traditional sources, a post on the 912 Registry bulletin board system.

Thx to all - Rennlist is a GREAT source for problem solving of all kind!!

Quick Reply: Help request on a 1976 911 Turbo