Rocker panel / oil line mounting points

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 05:15 AM
930SLO
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker panel / oil line mounting points

Hello everybody

Yesterday I took down my rocker panels and broke of two very rusted mounting points on the passenger side.

Did anybody have this issue before? Any suggestions what would be the best approach of solving it without taking down the oil lines?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Vehicle: 1988 3.2L Porsche 911

Passenger side rocker panel / oil lines mounting points

Rear mounting point

Middle mounting point
Old 07-30-2024, 04:32 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

1. First - I would remove and wash the rubber cushions with soap and water, clean (simple green) and pressure wash the areas shown.
2. Carefully drill-out the broken screws.. knock-off what looks like scale between the two lines (I believe this is remnants of the old mounting bracket)
3. I would then address the area above the lines in the 1st picture by light sanding the blistered are and the bare spot with 80grit sandpaper to bust the corrosion, being careful not to sand the area out to large. Focus only on the area showing issue.
4. Now treat these areas with a rust inhibitor and or an epoxy primer. After it dries thoroughly, lightly scuff sand with 120grit and paint. These areas are both small enough and low enough that you can touch them up with a brush.. but feel free to tape off and/or cover lines, and body above the rocker with paper.
5. Put the rubber cushion back on the lines and replace the rusted brackets (part # 911.207.303.00), spacer between body and bracket (part #911-559-145-01) and screws.
You do not have to take down the lines to do this repair.
Old 08-01-2024, 06:54 AM
930SLO
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the quick and thorough reply. Just to clarify what I mean by mounting point. In the screenshots (not my car) below you can see them clearly. I took these screenshots from a YouTube video (
)

The bracket and spacers that you mentioned are in between this mounting point and the rocker panel. The screw is screwed into the mounting points which broke off on my car. I would like to know how to approach the repair of the mounting points. The only options I see are either welding on new brackets or drilling a hole. Any thoughts?

Exposed mounting points (not my car)

Exposed mounting points (not my car)

Last edited by 930SLO; 08-01-2024 at 06:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Rocker panel / oil line mounting points