911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Question on clutch upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Rob930
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question on clutch upgrade...

Any recommendations for a lightened clutch kit? I'm already looking at about $700.00 for a stock OEM replacement and approx. $1200.00 labor. How much more would I be looking at above the OEM price? Would there be a noticeable performance gain (ie. quicker throttle response.)? My car is an '87, box stock...
Old 04-29-2004, 03:24 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I might offer my opinion on this. Keep in mind that there is a lot of personal preference in this statement. There are many that run lightweight setups on stock or near stock cars. My view is that on a stock car it takes the lower end away. It does add a snappiness to the response, once the car is moving however the first initial pull away from the light becomes worse. Unless the car has a bump in displacement, compression, etc the momentum from the stock flywheel helps the car move. Moving mass is easier to move once in motion. The heavier the flywheel the more momentum it has. The lighter flywheel will take a moment to move the mass and therefore not be smooth or responsive down low. Added compression or otherwise helps smooth that transition. This is why on a NA car it is always a great way to go. I personally never kept one in my car. I tried it and have installed them in customers cars, but never felt like it was a wise choice. Of course that and a 1.25 gets a cup of coffee
Old 04-30-2004, 06:46 AM
aus930
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi rob,
$1200 in labour to do a clutch, i have never done a clutch in a 930 before, but did one on my 930 this week.
car was up in the air, but i had engine out and clutch back in about 6 hours.
im in australia, so not familiar with labour rates in usa, but $200 an hour sounds expensive for a relatively simple job.

Quick Reply: Question on clutch upgrade...