Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Ignition issue, car won't start - video attached.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 06:49 AM
nwebley
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition issue, car won't start - video attached.

Hello all, I'm really getting frustrated with my 1985 930 and I'm hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction - see a run down of issue and a video below:

When I switch the immobiliser off (cobra) and switch the ignition to position 1 sometimes I get the correct dash lights like everything is ok and sometimes I don't. When I turn the ignition to start the engine, all I get is what's on the video and the car won't start - sometimes the tach bounces and does strange things as well. I notice sometimes one of the front lights flashes (albeit very dimly) as well.

I have removed and had the starter refurbished, there is no issue with that and the electrical feed to the starter motor works. I have checked the battery earth and all seems to be ok. I have also checked the 14 pin connector in the engine bay and cleaned it etc - all seems ok here as well. I'm truly baffled and I need to resolve the issue asap, if anyone can help I'd be forever grateful

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:10 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Am no expert...but [to me] that once per second muted buzzing sounds like the [aftermarket Cobra] alarm/immobilizer is tripping, preventing the normal operation of the starter/solenoid. Unfortunately, with previous owners and aftermarket electronics, you can never be certain how things were wired things up.

While you may not particularly want to hear this, my suggestion would be to [locate/trace/remove all the aftermarket bits, patch the wire splices, and] go back to stock configuration. And then start over, wiring everything correctly. Forgive my ignorance, but did your ROW '85 not come with a factory alarm and central locking?
Old 03-07-2022, 02:39 AM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

I think Mel showed the right way, get rid of that Cobra stuff if you want a permanent solution.

But I would first find out what Cobra type actually is installed and get a wiring diagram for it. Then we should be able to determine if and how the controller can be bypassed to get power to the starter, ignition control unit and fuel pumps.
You should find a type label on the cobra controller and a wiring diagramm in the net. I am sure that you could get further help that way.

Fritz
The following users liked this post:
mel_t_vin (03-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Ignition issue, car won't start - video attached.