Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Wastegate issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 02:57 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wastegate issues...

When I accelerate hard, often at around 4500 - 5000 the car hiccups badly.
I suspect the WG is sticking and the hiccup is the overboost fuel cut off - sound reasonable? Any other possibilities I should consider?

A related topic - can the factory WG be rebuilt to equal the performance of the Tial or close to it? If there is a truely a benefit than I'll just go ahead and get the Tial rather than waste the time and money to re do the stocker...

Thx
M
Old 03-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might not be the WG sticking yet your getting a boost spike that is tripping the fuel cut off. What does your boost gauge read when this happens? When did this start happening? I'm working on a simple yet adjustable surge filter that will help keep the cut off switch true to value. If you don't see the boost going too high then I would suspect boost spiking and you will have to use a filter or move the switch past the TB or both. Or you can ground the wire going to the switch just to see if this is your problem but I don't recommend keeping it like this.

I say if the stock WG goes bad then just get a TIAL and be done with it. The performance is approx. the same.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:10 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brent -
The boost gauge (the stocker in the tach - which I don't trust) pegs to full boost. Also - sometimes just as it is warming up it won't accelerate abv 3K RPM - it kinda bogs - but still shows a fluctuating boost. Could that be the WG as well?

If the performance of the Tial is the same as stock, wouldn't it be cheaper to rebuild the stocker?

Thx
M
Old 03-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In that case then you probably don't know using the stock gauge. The fluctuating boost reading could be a bad ground with the sender through the IC if your using an aftermarket one. Do you know if your WUR is functioning correctly? If the warm control pressure it going too high then it could be the reason. You can test your WG using a compressor with a gauge to see if your WG is working right.

The problem with the stock WG's is air will leak through the valve stem even if everything else is OK. Some of the parts are hard to get now and that's why you should just get a TIAL instead. They will run about $500 and are fully rebuildable and have alot more WG springs to chose from.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:10 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Mitch:
"sometimes just as it is warming up it won't accelerate abv 3K RPM - it kinda bogs - but still shows a fluctuating boost."

That is the warm-up regulator. Mine did the same.

Quick Reply: Wastegate issues...