Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Engine Out Service - Progress Pictures

Old 07-13-2019, 01:17 PM
Cattch
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Out Service - Progress Pictures

I've had my 930 for almost 2 years now. When I bought it, it had a slight oil leak which has gotten worse at time went on. I don't drive the car much, but my garage floor was feeling the small spots of oil on it so I decided to go ahead and have the engine and transmission pulled.

Going into the job thinking we would be tearing it all apart and replacing every seal and putting it back it, I was wrong. There were quite a few more issues when we were able to see all angles of the engine. Ended up having to replace most of the oil lines as that's where the bulk of the leaks were coming from. A few seals were sweating as well, so we replaced those.

Further to the oil leaks, we discovered a few more things. The Smog Air Pump pulley and belt were completely smooth but showed signs of being ribbed in the past. Upon looking up the parts, it appeared we were right, they were suppose to have teeth/ribs on them, these were replaced of course

I had a screeching sound from the passenger side rear brake. Worried I was looking at a full brake job, it turned out to be a spring on the emergency brake shoe being cracked which led the upper shoe to rub against the inside of the rotor constantly. If you run into this, be careful with the part you order to replace as I found out the part has been replaced in the Porsche catalog with a larger spring. I suspect if you are replacing the whole parking brake assembly it is now a beefier system that uses bigger parts. I have tracked down the old spring and waiting on its arrival.

A potential wheel bearing issue on the drivers rear (wheel not spinning freely) exposed a poor previous repair. Whoever did the wheel bearing last decided not to install the metal spacer between the inner and outer bearings... wow right! Waiting on the bearings and seals to arrive.

On top of that we are bleeding the full brake system front and rear and of course fresh oil and filter.

At this point we're about 60% complete (I mean putting the engine in is a big part of that 40% left). The longest part has been waiting on the parts to arrive as most are special order from Germany. Hoping to have the car back together within a week or 2 so I can actually drive it for whats left of the summer.

Now some pictures for anyone who likes to see old stuff taken apart:

Engine Out

Another Angle

New vs Old Oil Lines

Installed

New Oil Line and Belt

Top Brake Shoe Leaning Forward

Fresh
Old 07-16-2019, 07:23 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Should be much better with the new parts warehouse opening in Canada. Intention is to stock more classic parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Out Service - Progress Pictures