Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Help identifying and diagnosing 1976 930

Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Clapped930
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identifying and diagnosing 1976 930

Hello! Please bare with me as this will be a long explanation.

In my neighborhood there is a dilapidated 930 parked on a neighbor's driveway. It has stood there week after week since I moved here, and yesterday I knocked on the house's door and spoke to the owner. The owner is an older man with a bad back who can no longer work on the car, but has kept it all these years. I was able to get some information out of him before he slammed the door in my face.

The car is a 1976 930. The owner claims it is a Turbo but it only has a "Carrera" badge, not "turbo Carrera" as the first Turbo 930's did. It also doesn't have the wider Turbo bodywork, but it has a whale tail spoiler. I took a walk around the car and I can see that it has a manual trans, but I don't know whether it's a 4 or 5 speed. Also, the latest registration sticker it has is from 2007, so it has been sitting for at least 12 years. I presume it has been outside during these 12 years, exposed to the hot Florida sun and all manner of crappy weather.

Does anyone know what this car actually is? Turbo or not?
Also, say one were to buy this car:
What kind of work would it need to be roadworthy again?
Will the engine be siezed?
Will the transmition still shift?

I'm truly lost as to what this car really is, and what it would take to get it ship-shape. Thank you for your help in advance.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:13 PM
shlobeck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be a VIN plate on the drivers side A pillar (interior) of the vehicle. This should answer your question of the model and year of the vehicle. Probably not a turbo with the smaller flares, but that 10 digit number will tell you what you have. Pics are always helpful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help identifying and diagnosing 1976 930