Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Fuchs Cleaning Tips/Wavy Dash Correction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 03:14 PM
Miniwerks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuchs Cleaning Tips/Wavy Dash Correction?

My 79 930 is bone stock, Fuchs have original finish that has faded. Is there a safe way to bring back the finish without burning through the black? Mine also has the typical wavy dash where it meets with the windshield. I assume only way to correct this is to replace it but has anyone heard of any techniques to heat and reshape?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:51 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

You can try some of the auto store compounds, even Armor All to make the paint on your wheels shines again.. of course this is temporary as they need to be refinished.
Fairly simple to tape-up the outer lip, scuff them down with a scotch-pad and shoot with a spray can. You can get very acceptable results from this or you can send them to wheel refinisher and have them done. Depends on what you want exactly and how much money you want to spend.

As for the dash, it needs to be removed and sent out to be properly corrected and covered. Best place that I know of near you is http://www.autobahninteriors.com/ To properly R & R the dash, you will need to pop the gauges out (let them dangle is fine) to get to the 2 of the 5 nuts on the studs that face towards the trunk area.. you can remove the clove box to get to the other 3. You then have to remove the windshield to get to the series of small Phillips head screws that rest under the interior edge of the windshield seal.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Miniwerks
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips. I ran into a PCA Judge yesterday at a local car event and he suggested I could even use the same compound I used on the lips so will give that a try. I don't want to fully restore the wheels, trying to keep this car original, unrestored. Harvey Weidman is a short drive from here so if I do go full restoration, these wheels will go to Harvey. He did a set of Fuchs on my former 1973.5 911T,

I guess I will have to live with the dash the way it is and let next owner decide what they want to do. The interior is 100% original as well. I was hoping there might by a way to heat and reshape those wavy areas but looks like replacement is the only option. Thanks for the tips, sounds like a fairly easy procedure other than removing the windshield.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:53 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Vaseline on your wheels and leatherique will help the dash but It looks like its too far gone

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-up-fuchs.html
Old 07-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Miniwerks
Intermediate

Thank you, will try the Vaseline trick.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:28 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

this dash is too far destroyed for reuse. in the past i solved this the following way: bought a letherette dash on evilbay. very good condition in an ugly color. so it was cheap. then i removed the leather from my damaged dash and soaked it with leather softener (from the backside). after a wile leather was almost as new - so i was able to recover the new dash with it. some corners were a little tricky but it worked fine. always worth a try....
Old 07-31-2018, 01:03 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree, that dash is gone. Good suggestion above. Careful with the windshield, very easy to break the glass.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Miniwerks
Intermediate

Clever approach Peter, may consider that or at least pass along the idea to next owner. I would be reluctant to remove the original windshield.

Quick Reply: Fuchs Cleaning Tips/Wavy Dash Correction?