911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Mobil 1 oil color

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 11:06 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mobil 1 oil color

I use Mobil 1 15/50 which I replaced recently. My car is in the bodyshop finalizing body work and stuff. I had to move the oil cooler and take off the oil lines and let it drip. I noticed that the oil had a different color that I'm used too. The color was creamy or mocha looking. The car has not been running for awhile, however started once a week. Is this normal?
Old 12-29-2003, 03:26 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it is hard to know from your description, but from my experience Mobil 1 is a golden color when brand new and turns to a medium dark brown after use.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:30 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Well, its brand new and to be honest has not circulate through the whole system since its in the shop.

I have not drained it since I changed the oil a month ago. But have not driven it since either. However, I purchased a front mount oil cooler from B&B in Arizona but sprung a leak. They fixed it but seemed like the cleaned the cooler as well. It was the same cooler that I sent back but had oil in it. I got it back and they fixed the spot where it was leaking but the oil had been cleaned out with some kind of solution. I'm not sure if it was water or some other type of liquid.

Its very close to a cappucino color.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:46 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe one of our tech gurus will chiem in, but I think the oil changes color as soon as it goes through a full heat cycle - so one drive could do it.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:49 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil turns ceamy or mocha colored when it has water in it . The 930 holds alot of oil - 12-15 quarts with an oil cooler -, and it takes a long time to get it hot enough to burn off the water vapor that accumulates as a product of the combustion process. Starting an engine weekly and running it for a few minutes is not a good thing - all it does is put more water in the oil, which will cause corrosion on internal engine parts. In my experience you need to get the oil up to operating temp, around 180 F , for a good long period of time - 20-30 minutes or more - in order to get rid of the vapor.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:40 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

But will water vapor be enough to change to that color? Given the above description, is this safe to drive?
Old 12-29-2003, 10:07 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For every gallon of gas you burn, you make one gallon of water I believe. Also, if you don't let it get warm enough to open your thermostat, no oil will circulate. Possibly it's old oil in there?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were my car, once it was driveable I would drive it for 20 -30 minutes and then drain it while it is hot. If you can crack a cooler line open I would do that too, in order to get as much oil out as possible. Make sure you run it long enough so the front cooler gets warm, which shows the thermostat is open and oil is circulating through the entire system. You'll always have some residual oil in the system, so go for a good long drive once the clean oil is in, to evaporate any lingering vapor. Plus , a long drive is good for the soul!!

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 oil color