Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

On the road again !!!

Old 01-20-2018, 11:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the road again !!!

Picked up my car on Wednesday from the shop that worked on it. It was nearly 1 year and 1 month at the shop.
I was so excited to drive it home! Was a 42 mile drive. So awesome. Last time I drove the car was back in 1998
when my brother owned it. Bought it from him late 2002 not running,two broken head studs and massive oil leak.
I took the motor out in 2003 and started working on it. Unfortunately I got a new position at my job which required
a lot of traveling. It sat in the garage all apart until I joined rennlist. I had the itch again and started working on it,
unfortunately I got another job and didn't have time to work on the car again. Two years ago I decided to have a
shop complete it. I shopped around for a reputable shop and found one. Delivered the car to the shop last January.
But now I have it back, I'm so excited!
Old 01-21-2018, 05:26 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

Sweet. Drive it like you stole it. A shop did my head studs about 10years ago. Their then apprentice set the timing wrong and blew out the head gaskets and rings so the shop let me do it over. I was lucky they let me watch the first time so after doing research with the chief mechanic guidance I did it all by myself. I didn't get the clutch fork aligned so out it came again. Now I can remove the engine in 30mins.
Now the 930 is my 3rd car and isn't driven much which causes new problems. Corrosion on terminals. The 930 is still way more rewarding to drive than my 996tt. And relatively trouble free.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:50 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Excellent! I guess good things really do come to he who waits. Happy air cooled turbocharged motoring.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Porsche 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on persisting to put an awesome looking early 930 back on the road! Hope your new ride gives you many special moments.
Show more pictures, and let us know some thoughts went you get some seat time.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rufrob
Sweet. Drive it like you stole it. A shop did my head studs about 10years ago. Their then apprentice set the timing wrong and blew out the head gaskets and rings so the shop let me do it over. I was lucky they let me watch the first time so after doing research with the chief mechanic guidance I did it all by myself. I didn't get the clutch fork aligned so out it came again. Now I can remove the engine in 30mins.
Now the 930 is my 3rd car and isn't driven much which causes new problems. Corrosion on terminals. The 930 is still way more rewarding to drive than my 996tt. And relatively trouble free.
I know now that letting it sit there even though garaged, if it isn't running it's corroding. Aside from the motor being rebuilt, in order for it to run, the shop ended up flushing the fuel tank,replacing both fuel pumps,fuel filter,accumulator and fuel lines. Additionally,I asked them to go ahead and replace all high pressured lines like brake lines and oil lines. The cost just kept piling up. The module was out as well.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:55 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Excellent! I guess good things really do come to he who waits. Happy air cooled turbocharged motoring.
It's been a long time coming!
Old 01-22-2018, 02:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Porsche 930
Congrats on persisting to put an awesome looking early 930 back on the road! Hope your new ride gives you many special moments.
Show more pictures, and let us know some thoughts went you get some seat time.
My drive home was fun, when the turbo kicked in especially when I was on third it was a blast.

Here is a short video of the first initial start after engine was installed.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0875.MOV (2.69 MB, 67 views)
Old 01-22-2018, 01:54 PM
freesaints
Advanced

Congrats, sounds like a long journey. Glad to hear you're back in her and driving again. That boost is a rush the first time (or first time after a long hiatus) for sure!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On the road again !!!