911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Battery charger

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery charger

Stupid question because I could figure it out in a minute but I'm not home, so...

I have 1989 930 that took the place of a 1998 993. With the 993 I used a Porsche battery tender that simply plugged into the cigarette lighter. It would keep the batter charged.

Will this work on the 930 or is the cigarette lighter cut off when the igition is switched off?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2005, 03:43 PM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 85, the lighter wiring is off when the ignition switch is off.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:08 PM
UM930T
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just came across this thread, and have a similar question; I just purchased a 1989 930 Cab, which came with an OPTIMA red top AGM battery. I also just purchased a Porsche battery maintainer, along with the battery maintainer clamps. I was recently told that the Porsche maintainer would not work on an AGM battery? can you shed some light on how you're maintaining your battery on the 930?
Old 03-10-2018, 06:23 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

The cigarette lighter in these models is off when the ignition is off. Regarding AGM batteries, they take a slightly different charger type. Check out battery minder on Amazon and look for the AGM model. The charger comes with a battery screw connection w/ quick cord disconnect. With the battery location at front left in the ftrunk it's an easy direct connection.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MHarris
The cigarette lighter in these models is off when the ignition is off. Regarding AGM batteries, they take a slightly different charger type. Check out battery minder on Amazon and look for the AGM model. The charger comes with a battery screw connection w/ quick cord disconnect. With the battery location at front left in the ftrunk it's an easy direct connection.
I use a Battery Tender (probably made by the same Chinese company with a different look), complete with the quick disconnect cord. Many different models to choose from; mine is just for keeping the battery topped off during storage. Automatically senses lead-acid and sealed AGM. They even have one for lithium.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:26 PM
UM930T
Cruisin'

Thank you for your responses. I guess I will be returning the Porsche battery maintainer. which model battery minder did you get? there are several. Someone else had recommended the NOCO7.2A. Any experience with this one?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:08 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

This is the one that I use. There are less expensive versions but I like the feature set and ease of use. it's good to have the quick-connect plug outside the ftrunk when hooked up to the charger/maintainer so that if your wife were to distract you and you forget to unplug... it will just separate/unplug when you back out... Oops, it's happened.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:00 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is the lower priced (by about half) Battery Tender; the difference being .750 amps vs. 2.0 amps (and pulse width modulation for sulfation control....if that really works). The .750 is fine for maintenance charge, but will take several days if a person is using to charge a seriously depleted battery. Whatever works for your application is the best advice I can give. I use mine to charge maintain the 930, and periodically plug it in to my Harley to keep it topped up. Can't live without these things during the winter storage months.

Quick Reply: Battery charger