Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Turbo (930) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turbo-930-forum-57/)
-   -   Catalytic Converter repair - who does this? (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turbo-930-forum/1043553-catalytic-converter-repair-who-does-this.html)

meiwah98 01-16-2018 09:21 PM

Catalytic Converter repair - who does this?

Anyone know who does catalytic converter repair (restoration)? I have a 1987 930 catalytic that sounds like rocks rolling around when you shake it. Don't want to put an aftermarket unit; want to keep the car original.

Does anyone know who still does catalytic restoration?

Thanks.

TT Surgeon 01-17-2018 01:01 PM

MM in Germany will do it, but you're better off locating a used unit.

meiwah98 01-17-2018 03:39 PM

who is MM? I MIGHT need to go that route, as here in the US there are no more guys doing catalytic rebuilds. And, there are no more parts being made (if you want to keep it original).

Let me know who MM is..

Thanks.

Edward

Mark Houghton 01-18-2018 12:05 AM

There are many people (myself included) with used cats sitting on the shelf. Common upgrades entail removing that restrictive POS and installing either a bypass pipe or aftermarket muffler. Throw up your flag...."wanted...used cat", either here or much better yet over on Pelican.

TT Surgeon 01-18-2018 01:12 AM

MM is an exhaust maker in Germany, they exclusively make all the gt3 and cup stuff. They work with fvd, I'd contact Rhonda and see if fvd can hook you up with MM. It won't be cheap though, you'd be better off picking up a used one. If it's for my old car, it's not the original anyway, when I bought the car it had a bypass pipe and I sourced it on pelican I believe.

meiwah98 01-18-2018 09:26 PM

the CAT is not for your 1987 930 slant (it is doing very well by the way). I picked up from NJ a 85 930 that needs a muffler and cat. Purchased one of the last used 87 930 cat and muffler from LA Dismantler. Unfortunately, the 87 cat is all busted up inside (rattles bad). The housing is VERY hard to find; even though I probably could get my money back, I prefer to get it fixed, as finding a functional cat for 87-89 930's is turning out to be a Unicorn. Outside of California maybe nobody cares about the Cat/Exhaust, but if you want to restore a 930 with Porsche parts, then this Cat will be a necessity, as they are no longer produced, sadly.

SO, yes, I know it will cost $$ to have it fixed, even if I have to send it to Germany to MM..... Let me know if FVD can hook me up, otherwise, I don't mind trying to contact on my own. THANKS!

TT Surgeon 01-20-2018 04:11 PM

I'll email Rhonda for you and get back to you. I also have a contact in Texas with two warehouses full of 930 stuff. He's not a seller, more of a hoarder but I'll ask him what he might want to part with re cats. Btw he's the guy I obtained the slant supplement in your/my glovebox from a few yrs ago.
c

bweSteve 01-22-2018 06:10 PM

to rebuild an existing cat, don't they have to split the halves, put in new guts, and re-weld the halves back together?
If you are doing this for pure absolute 100% restoration I could see going this route,... but why not just gut the remaining box-O-rocks & put it back on?
No one will ever know the diff. Believe me, sooo many people told me the same thing,... but since mine was in near perfect condition I decided to go the bypass route & put my orig on the shelf (although doesn't do you much good as mine is a '91 964T).
Good luck!
=Steve

V2Rocket 01-26-2018 03:35 PM

as stated split the original housing and gut it, but then get some new aftermarket cats (they are smaller-bodied) and plumb them in, then re-assemble to old cat "shell" around your new cat to maintain stock appearance.

TT Surgeon 01-28-2018 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by V2Rocket (Post 14757187)
as stated split the original housing and gut it, but then get some new aftermarket cats (they are smaller-bodied) and plumb them in, then re-assemble to old cat "shell" around your new cat to maintain stock appearance.

this is actually your best bet

Joe@Fabspeed 02-11-2018 04:00 PM

Its Joe Fab Fabspeed Motorsport
I can cut-open and insert an HJS German highflow catalytic converter to get you back running.
Fabspeed currently has a service of which we repairing and replacing Ferrari OEM failed ceramic catalytic converters with HJS German 200 cell high-flow cores for 355, 360, F40 and F50 cars.

Many of the factory catalytic converters have either broken apart or previous owners gutted them.............as these cars show up on Concours events and become valuable shops, dealers and customers need solutions. A 2018 HJS German highflow OBD2 catalytic converter loaded with precious metal flows 93% to 95% of a straight pipe so you actually gain horsepower, torque and sportscar sound verus 1970s and 1980s restrictive technology.

Let me know and call visit the Fabspeed catalytic converter replacement page.

joe@fabspeed.com

TT Surgeon 02-14-2018 11:39 AM

^^there you go, best of both worlds.