Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

trade in 997tt convertible for 930 ?

Old 01-12-2018, 09:32 AM
mbirand
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trade in 997tt convertible for 930 ?

dear community,
i am a newcomer here, from Italy.
i own a 2011 997tt convertible since new that i am quite attached to.
at the same time i always wanted the 930 since childhood. i dont have much experience with a 930 except a recent 15min test drive (wasnt really a test drive rather a tense drive as the owner sat beside me watching my every move).
i ride my car only on the weekends just for having fun and sometimes we take some road trips longer over a few days with my wife.
she also loves the 997 very much and also quite attached to it.
here's the thing : there's this 930 for sale nearby where i live, completely renovated by a well known and reputable restorator of classic Porsches in Germany.
it is in 10/10 condition, smells, sounds, looks, rides as if it came out of production yesterday. it is literally brand new and one must see it to believe. long story short, if i decide this will be it as i would like a 930 out of the box new (inside and out)
well, like every great thing in life, it comes with a 170,000€ price tag (with all the certification from Porsche etc...)
For 3 reasons I am not able to keep both :
1) economically non sense
2) parking and usage (one will be left out)
3) i am a monogamous person and that applies to Porsches too
so i can only to this by trading in my pretty 997 (which is sometimes too fast and automatic to have fun)
Not having experience with 930 is something thats scaring me. I can always ask for another test ride but what good will this do...
I am very aware that 930 is a machine that comes with imperfections (from my readings..). 930 requires tons of respect and I like challenge. But down the road it would make me sad if i find out a very pricy lesson not really finding out what i expected.
i expect reliable, not breaking down, dependable for longer rides, fast enough to have fun, quick enough to have fun machine that i want to use until i am old. but i fear it would almost be like using latest iphone but still loving the original looks of iphone1 and trying to use it these days (which will end with a lot of disappointments)
I'd like to ask for feedback from people who had/have driven 930 or better both to make a comparison.
What should i do ? what should i think ? what am i missing here ?
Thanks a lot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trade in 997tt convertible for 930 ?