need some guidance getting a previously running 930 back on the road - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 911 Turbo (930) Forum
Reload this Page > need some guidance getting a previously running 930 back on the road
Notices

need some guidance getting a previously running 930 back on the road

Old 01-04-2018, 03:17 AM
nitewing117
New User

Default need some guidance getting a previously running 930 back on the road

Hi all,

This is actually my first time ever being on the forum, and, outside of doing oil changes for my dad's 930 and some work on his 944, this will be my first time working on a Porsche. Long story short, my dad has a 930 slantnose that was involved in a cosmetic accident, and has sat since (10+ years). It was running fine before the accident, but due to lack of time and circumstances, he was never able to find time to work on it. I'm hoping to get it back on the road for him by this June.

Is there a 930 specific checklist of things I should expect to change or inspect? I have a good amount of experience maintaining, building, and racing my own vehicles (94 RX7, miata, basically imports), but I'm not too sure where to begin once I get a hold of his car to start wrenching. At minimum, I'm assuming I should check/replace any rubber hoses or couplers and drain all fluids. Any special tools I should start looking for?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:33 PM
rufrob
User

Pull the gas tank have it cleaned and check for rust. Check the fuel hoses for rot. If they are cracked have fun changing them. They run though the center tunnel.
Pull the valve covers. Look for broken through bolts. Check the oil, clean the fuse contacts, new fuel pump and filter, possibly accumulator and she should fire.
Good luck.