911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Interesting story...and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Rad22
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Interesting story...and a few questions

930 afficionados, can you shed a little light?

I owned a 1987 930 back in the 90's for several years and have regretted selling it ever since. I decided about a year ago to try and locate it, but couldn't find the VIN until yesterday when I stumbled across the original Bill of Sale from Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, NC while cleaning out some boxed-up files. The VIN is separately recorded on the paperwork on 4 places in the paperwork, 2 typed (including the title application) and 2 handwritten, all the same and therefore almost certainly correct. I bought the car used with 24,000+ miles, kept it three years and traded it to Beck Mercedes in Charlotte for a new 400E (family demands, growing kids, need for back seat, etc). It was in perfect condition, completely original and unmodified. That was the last I heard of it.

I plugged the newly found VIN into Google and found this:

http://classiccarsmarks.com/porsche/...turbo-930.html

For reference, here is a photo when I owned the car (my son in front...now 31 years old)...

Different mirrors, new rocker panels and strakes/"brake vents" on the rear flares, different wheels...I understand these are probably all cosmetic changes (although the rockers and strakes seem a bit extreme), but it's the description that has me puzzled. The owner in the ad claims to be the third owner. That can't be true. Someone owned it before me for 2 years and 24,000 miles and the owner in the ad says he's owned it for only 3 years. That alone makes four owners. Something's seems fishy.

Carfax is incomplete, beginning in 1993 with 47,000 miles and ends in 2015 with 113,000 miles with no further info after 10/1/15. It does acknowledge the accident mentioned in the ad, apparently in 1997.

Questions:

1) The ad mentions "factory delete"..."It is quite an uncommon car being a "factory delete". It was not originally ordered as factory delete." What does this mean? If it's referring to the stereo, mine had an original factory radio installed.
2) Who is Luis Gil? Don't want to display my ignorance, but is he someone I should know?

Opinions anyone?

Last edited by Rad22; 11-30-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:44 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like this guy has been sold a story and got a car with it.
Hope the car is better than the story...
Old 12-02-2017, 09:32 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

I agree,... strange statements from the Ad :: "It is quite an uncommon car being a "factory delete". It was not originally ordered as factory delete."
That is 2 very confused sentences for sure.

Never heard of Mr Luis Gil, although he does show up in google searches.

no price listed,... and seems to me the best person to own this car & maybe restore it back to its original beauty, would be the young man standing in front of it above, who now, years later, probably has the best memories with that car. And his Dad bought him "High Tops" too. Props to the Dad.

Last edited by bweSteve; 12-04-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: High Top Sneakers - Just saw that now!!
Old 12-04-2017, 12:32 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You could actually order a 505 slant nose delete option and get the side vents, rockers but normal headlights.

Quick Reply: Interesting story...and a few questions