fixer-upper 86 flat nose turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 12:33 AM
rchliu98
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixer-upper 86 flat nose turbo

I need some assistance....

I am thinking about purchase a fixer of '86 flat nose turbo with low milage. Does anyone know if this car have any problems? And how can I tell if this flat nose is real??

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:34 PM
RO
Intermediate

A couple questions. Is it a US car or Rest of World?
It is not a factory slantnose since they were not made as a factory option until 87.
It could be a special wish conversion car or one that someone else converted. Special wish cars started I think in 81 or 82. I have an 85 Euro slantnose that I love. No problems. They are a blast to drive and still get alot of looks for a 15+ year old car.

Here's a site with some info on how to tell if it is a conversion or orginal Porsche car.

http://vista.pca.org/stl/911slant.htm

Good Luck....Randy
Old 12-10-2003, 02:49 AM
rchliu98
AutoX

Randy,

This is a U.S. car and has sat in the garage for over four years because the owner has left the country and not expected to be back. That is why he is selling it and it is not in a very good shape. Basically he will entertain any reasonable offer. I drove the car and it feel faster than my 964.

I visited your site and it is very helpful.

Thanks a million!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:21 AM
BJJones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

I purchased what I would term as a fixer upper a few months ago, and would recomend anyone doing the same, but please bear the following in mind.

What I have ended up with (due to a very very cheap initial purchase price) is a car that has had an engine/gearbox re-build to standard spec, an interior re-trim with RS Recaro's and RS carpets, a full suspension (inc torrsion bars, dampers, bushes, drop liknks) and braking system re-build and a full re-wire.

I have managed to do this for around £21000 UK pounds, I have not factored in a cost for the labour that I put in myself to remove and re-install components that I had re-built.

Some would say that I could have bought a good car for that money, but the difference is that I have a car that basicaly now has zero miles on all the mechanical parts.

To my mind any car no matter how mint it looks has the potential to cost a fortune, so as long as you are not kidding yourself that you can fix this thing up cheaply, and the purchase price is correct then go for it.

Let us know how you get on.

Barry
Old 12-10-2003, 09:44 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also recently bought so called fixer upper. I bought an 85 Euro Slant nose converted in Germany before import. The car has very low miles but seemed like the owner never washed it or cleaned it. However, he had all the maintenance records since day 1. He spent a lot of money on maintenance. All the leather had no tears which I restored and looks brand new. The interior was totally restored, carpets, dash, etc. The exterior paint was totally stripped to bear metal, applied new technology epoxy primer and euro paint. The car is in concours condition.

However!, like Barry said "no matter how mint it looks has the potential to cost a fortune, so as long as you are not kidding yourself that you can fix this thing up cheaply". I spent $15,000 restoring the car on top of the price of the car. I have learned that either way, getting a good or bad deal, this car is still a Porsche and be prepared to spend a lot for it.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)

Originally posted by rchliu98
Randy,
This is a U.S. car and has sat in the garage for over four years because the owner has left the country and not expected to be back. That is why he is selling it and it is not in a very good shape. Basically he will entertain any reasonable offer. I drove the car and it feel faster than my 964.
A couple of questions:

1.) How much / what kind of work does it need?

2.) What is the mileage?

3.) How did you find this car in the first place?

4.) Pictures?

5.) Why did the guy leave and never come back?

I hope that the car works out for you, I would just be curious since the situation sounds really shady.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:56 PM
rchliu98
AutoX

Question

Mitch,

The car has +/- 70,000 miles. It needs a paint job for sure. I am waiting for the owner to do a smog check before I get a PPI. The owner is in a import/export business of hospital equipments. He feels he is paying too much tax in the U.S. He took his entire company oversea. The owner is actually a friend of a friend. I think he should be OK. I hope he can pass the smog test, at lease. We will see.

Rob
Old 12-13-2003, 01:18 PM
RO
Intermediate

Good Luck ...let us know how it turns out. What does he think is a reasonable offer? Also where is the car located? If you pass on it there may be some that want it for parts or as a track car. Let us know....Good Luck..Randy

Quick Reply: fixer-upper 86 flat nose turbo