idle control bypass screw

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question idle control bypass screw

Not to seem like a complete moron...

but, can this screw be gotten to w/o removing anything? I can not seem to be able to see it at all near the throttle body with the plumbing, intercooler, airbox, A/C, etc... maybe a picture would be helpful... I remember seeing my wrench use a very long thin screw driver to reach it from the driver's side under the cooler.

I have a high idle when warm (1200) and know it's the bypass screw as my wrench said he likes to keep it up high... but it's quit annoying up that high, and the wrench is not convenient at 25 miles out-of-my-way from home, 50 miles from work....
Old 12-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Gino, assuming your still CIS and depending on the weather will affect the idle some. This is partly because of the ARR. Anyhow I can get to my idle adj. screw without taking anything apart and so should you.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Gino
Racer

thanks Brent-

I still have the CIS... actually a stock machine. The idle has been high throughout the hot humid summer and now the cold dry pre-winter. Believe me, it's not a weather thing.

I know I should be able to adjust it as the wrench had no problem. I assume it's on the throttle body (from pictures on Pelican and drawings from the Bosch FI book) facing the driver's side, but not visible from the driver's side. Being an experienced mechanic, he did it by feel knowing where it is. I do not have that experience yet, but I know it's there... somewhere... and large too I understand. Maybe as big as a dime?

Can it be seen over the fan housing under the cooler from the rear of the car? I'm going to put some more lights under there to perhaps see better, but daylight and a flashlight was not enough to see anything.

BTW: I assume you meant AAR (aux air reg), not ARR (?).
Old 12-01-2003, 05:28 PM
D
Instructor

You need a 12" regular screwdriver and a flashlight. You can barely see the screw but it can be reached, reach from the drivers side rear fender in front and just below the intercooler. Your hand will be near to the fuel filter and ignition box area and you'll be holding the screwdriver with your fingertips.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:42 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Correct, I did mean AAR which you can adj. When going to the Kokeln IC I later made the adj. since my rpms at idle when cold on a warm day was really low. I think it was because I no longer had the AAV after the new IC. This will vary when it's colder out because of the bi metallic strip. Anyhow just use a flashlight and look straight down where the outlet of the IC goes in between the IC and airbox. Of course you want to make sure the car is warm at 195 deg. when you make the adj. Then if you can re check your CO for 1.5-2.5%.

Brent
Old 12-01-2003, 07:52 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a pic of the screw for reference.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Gino
Racer

Thumbs up

OK... Excellent gentlemen... I found that sucker!!

The picture was great A930Rocket... although I have a lot more stuff in the way and it's a lot darker under there.

I could barely see the head, no less where the slot was in the head for my long screwdriver, but with the picture, I was able to see the screw position behind the fan housing. The little spring behind the head of the idle screw allowed me to find it with the help of a mini-maglite taped to the end of a 12" electrical coax flex line.

I read to decrease the idle speed once warm by clockwise turning the adjusting screw. Not sure how much to start with now that it's cold in my garage, so I went 1/4 turn. I'll check it out tomorrow when I drive to work and stop.

I'll bring my very long screwdriver to adjust more, if necessary.

Thanks to all, again.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:51 PM
toyboat
Track Day

Where's the AAR and it's adjustment? I have a high idle when the engine is warmed up (1800). I started to adjust the idle screw, but no change. A930Rocket, would you have a pic of the AAR's location? What else could make the high idle?

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 12-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Brent 930
Racer

It's really not an adj. but there is a pem that you can see that will need to be tapped in. On one side there is a small pem and the other a larger one. It will be the smaller one that you will tap in some to reduce the air flow. Do a little at a time until you get the desired effect. What IC are you using? Where is the idle when you first start it on a cold and warm morning? I assume you have the idle at 950 +/- 50 rpms?

Brent
Old 12-02-2003, 04:12 PM
toyboat
Track Day

I have the stock IC. At startup, the idle is at 950-1000 rpms. After the engine gets warmed up, it's idling at 1800-2000 rpms. I noticed this after accidentally putting too much oil at the last oil change. Oil came into the air cleaner when I was on an incline. From there on, the idle has been high. I cleaned all the oil in the air pathway to the fuel distributor, but the high idle remained.

Do you have a pic of the pem area you mentioned?

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 12-02-2003, 04:26 PM
Brent 930
Racer

OK, here is something you want to check the next time the idle is sky high. Clamp off the hose from the right side of your IC to the AAR and see if that doesn't lower the idle any. If not then that isn't your problem, if so then either you don't have 12v (electrical problem) going to the AAR or it won't close (bad AAR).
Old 12-02-2003, 04:27 PM
Brent 930
Racer

Here is a picture showing the AAR and other stuff.

Brent
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: idle control bypass screw