Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking into this 1989 911, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:39 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gg1
Thanks for the help. Think I will take my time and look for a late '80's targa. Funny thing is, I was looking at newer 991's and decided to get an S5 instead for my daily, now I need something a little more.... well a Porsche, but feel the late '80s is where I want to look.
I agree take your time, a few additional comments: the 80's 911's are great you will love them once you have a proper one. Hagerty will be in a similar range for this car as Excellence. I still believe that a number of the sellers are high balling cars for whatever reason. If you want this car and it passes mechanical muster go for it. Make an offer, very low (an informed offer based on the PPI and the market) and go from there, if you don't get to what you want move on. The '85 for $28,500 is low but, you don't know for sure what the mechanicals were like, it's missing the front chin spoiler, the engine bay looked beat up and why a Steve Wong chip without other upgrades? And the '87- '89 cars have the G50 trans (I'm not starting a G50/915 fight, just saying) and they have the hydraulic clutch/slave cylinder.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The reason I put Steve Wong chip in my otherwise stock '86 was to optimize the timing and afr map for 93 octane. The chip made a noticeable improvement. Different chips are available for modified cars.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Surge74
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
To be honest I usually pick them up with about 250-300k on them ( km) and have to deal with a lot of deferred maintenance. But I don't mind as I enjoy i easily get 10 years out of them. U retired my a6 with 425k.
The early 2.0t is problematic with an engine ending design. It unlike what the ims is to the 996. But what a fun car to drive.
I'd love an s-5 4.2. Think il wait till my son moves out. 😉
Wow, you are my hero. Would love to learn how to keep my future SC running for 300k KM!!
Old 07-27-2017, 11:31 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
Wow, you are my hero. Would love to learn how to keep my future SC running for 300k KM!!
my current SC has 250K and not even close to half life.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:18 PM
Mpoweroo1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At that price, it better be mint with tons of options. Also needs to have a binder full of maintenance records.

As mentioned, air-cooled market has softened the last few months.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:56 AM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

way overpriced. That is a 45k car.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:56 PM
gg1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrooksBier
way overpriced. That is a 45k car.
Thanks. I was thinking about the same thing. I would probably buy it at the $45K because it is actually EXACTLY what I want. Love the tail, sport seats, targa and year. Talk about hard to find!!!! No rush, but I just bought my S5 from them and they seem to pick up cars I love. Sadly, it is overprice and they aren't going to come down $10K. I will keep searching I guess.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:51 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's easily 50-55k IF nothing major is needed. Check Hagerty. The market isn't softening so much as it is holding steady. Sure it's priced high, but that's what all dealers do. They aren't expecting anyone to pay sticker price. They know how to price these cars and what they will fetch; it's their business. Better deals can be found with individual sellers, but of course recourse is far more difficult with an individual seller if anything goes sour.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:15 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 926 Likes on 439 Posts

If you're still looking, these two are seemingly nice Coupes that are more sanely market priced. Hard to tell from the descriptions whether they've been properly maintained, but a PPI should bear that out:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...1-carrera.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...no-trades.html

Sorry; meant to post on a different but very similar thread where the OP was seeking a 3.2. But hey, maybe you like Coupes too . . .
Old 08-01-2017, 05:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
If you're still looking, these two are seemingly nice Coupes that are more sanely market priced. Hard to tell from the descriptions whether they've been properly maintained, but a PPI should bear that out:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...1-carrera.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...no-trades.html

Sorry; meant to post on a different but very similar thread where the OP was seeking a 3.2. But hey, maybe you like Coupes too . . .
and that's the other thing .. the original posted car isn't even a coupe . its a Targa at that money is nuts,.

These ones however look like nice machines and at those prices the market has DEFINITELY softened. its been a long while since a Carrera was under 40. SCs were getting that a short while ago.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:42 AM
gg1
Advanced

Originally Posted by theiceman
and that's the other thing .. the original posted car isn't even a coupe . its a Targa at that money is nuts,.

These ones however look like nice machines and at those prices the market has DEFINITELY softened. its been a long while since a Carrera was under 40. SCs were getting that a short while ago.
I for some reason gravitate to targas with the tail. I also gravitate to red with black interior. Sadly the car I posted is the exact car I want, BUT I think it is over by $10K. I love the sport seats as well and as I have been looking they are not that common, at least in my search.

Thanks for the replies. I am really not educated enough yet to buy I guess but your replies help of course. If they would go $50K, I might get it. Sure I am overpaying, but to find a car that I want locally? What is that worth? They won't come down like that though. I just searched coast to coast and found nothing I liked all that much. I think targas in that color with a tail aren't easy to find and I am hoping for an 87-89 on top of it,

Again thanks for your educational posts.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:10 AM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default No Photos of Engine Compartment and the Underside

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
I would get a PPI and see what the car really needs. Then you may be able to negotiate down some. Because at the price they are asking, everything has to be damn near perfect. By that I mean brakes, suspension, body integrity, engine leak down, i.e., no repairs needed at all. Clutch replaced or transmission rebuild? Any engine work done? Maybe they would give you a warranty if you are local.
Agree strongly with the above post, especially regarding a PPI, and the need for documentation of replacement parts and work. While the car looks in excellent shape on the top side, there is an absence of any photos of the engine compartment, and the underside. The cadmium plating on bolts and nuts, and lack of cleaning or even surface rust in those areas could reveal a lot about the car's past use and care.

The seller does not mention if it has a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from PCNA, which would show OEM options, engine and transmission OEM serial numbers. A Porsche is worth more if it has matching numbers. Again at this price point, the seller should have taken the effort to obtain the COA from PCNA.

The car's mileage is high relative to the asking price, and is at a mileage point where the car can have several engine cylinder studs that are weak or broken. The catalytic converter -- if original, could be at a point that it needs to be replaced.

The seller also put on a good face with "the upgraded Sony [radio]" (but not OEM Porsche). At the seller's price point the radio and related sound equipment should be OEM and operating.

Also, Targa(s) have a lot of cockpit surround rubber that needs care to be pliable (to keep out rain water), and pieces like the side rears that butt against the side windows are difficult to replace if the fabric over the rubber is worn or torn from use. All of these points call out for a PPI. Only with a PPI, at your expense, and finding out what the car needs or does not need could one really negotiate with this seller, and perhaps justify coming close to the asking price.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:53 AM
gg1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Type 2
Agree strongly with the above post, especially regarding a PPI, and the need for documentation of replacement parts and work. While the car looks in excellent shape on the top side, there is an absence of any photos of the engine compartment, and the underside. The cadmium plating on bolts and nuts, and lack of cleaning or even surface rust in those areas could reveal a lot about the car's past use and care.

The seller does not mention if it has a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from PCNA, which would show OEM options, engine and transmission OEM serial numbers. A Porsche is worth more if it has matching numbers. Again at this price point, the seller should have taken the effort to obtain the COA from PCNA.

The car's mileage is high relative to the asking price, and is at a mileage point where the car can have several engine cylinder studs that are weak or broken. The catalytic converter -- if original, could be at a point that it needs to be replaced.

The seller also put on a good face with "the upgraded Sony [radio]" (but not OEM Porsche). At the seller's price point the radio and related sound equipment should be OEM and operating.

Also, Targa(s) have a lot of cockpit surround rubber that needs care to be pliable (to keep out rain water), and pieces like the side rears that butt against the side windows are difficult to replace if the fabric over the rubber is worn or torn from use. All of these points call out for a PPI. Only with a PPI, at your expense, and finding out what the car needs or does not need could one really negotiate with this seller, and perhaps justify coming close to the asking price.
Thanks. This is a good checklist to start. I don't think that car will sell anytime soon, so no rush. Maybe wait till the snow starts falling, but they don't seem to reduce prices much and if they do, it isn't like they are taking a couple grand off.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:00 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gg1
Investing in cars is really tough. I don't understand why Ferrari is getting pounded right now, but they are.

Why did this car sell for so low? Seems like it was a GREAT deal!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Porsche...RZYitM&vxp=mtr
That car appeared to be a buy. Good CarFax, clean in, out, and underneath. Nice recent repairs/service. To be a nitpick, you could sell the Nardi wheel for $5bills or so as a down payment on upgrading the AC.

I don't mind the Fuchs replicas, as the car appeared to be a really nice driver. Somebody seems to have scored a good car. Oh well, get your trigger finger ready for the next one!
Old 08-03-2017, 02:08 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 926 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Adams
That car appeared to be a buy. Good CarFax, clean in, out, and underneath. Nice recent repairs/service. To be a nitpick, you could sell the Nardi wheel for $5bills or so as a down payment on upgrading the AC.

I don't mind the Fuchs replicas, as the car appeared to be a really nice driver. Somebody seems to have scored a good car. Oh well, get your trigger finger ready for the next one!
$28k is absurdly low. But that can happen on eBay auctions. I suspect he or she didn't set an appropriate reserve. Or maybe had some other motivation to sell at whatever they could get.

That should have have been a mid-30s car. But who knows? Generally speaking, I think car investing isn't that tricky. I've bought and sold a few in recent years and made 60-70% profits, net operating expenses. I think that one you linked in particular is an outlier.

Quick Reply: Looking into this 1989 911, what do you think?