Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What air tools do 911 owners recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:14 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What air tools do 911 owners recommend?

Sorry to rif on the clothing thread but this forum should have a few people who could help.

I just upgraded my game with the compressor and blasting cabinet and want to know what else might be useful. Specific brands and sources would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2017, 01:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

To be Honest the age of the air tool is coming to a close. Much like in other areas better technology is taking over. I know two professional mechanics, my brother at an auto dealership and a good friend who works at Mac truck . Neither use air tools anymore as battery powered tools seem to b taking over. I have a compressor but its way easier to grab my small battery powered impact gun . no hoses in the way and can get in all the places my air tools can.

But having said that I use my compressor for my die cutter and right angled grinder polisher. as far as brands go not sure , I use I/R products but even the cheap tools work well.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nate, my brother.

I'll go take a few pictures of my favorite tools. Any excuse to show off the obsession.

Find yourself a pawn shop and offer them green cash and tell them you do not want a receipt. My top drawer is littered with Snap On that I got for half the truck price or less. A crashing economy was a blessing for my toolbox.

About the only Harbor Freight i've got is my soda blaster and my wire feed welder. Oh, and my milling machine. Almost everything else I got from family, friends, or pawn shops.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Wait, you said air tools. My only note worthy air tool is my Sun International that belonged to a Dr friend who got it from his father who was a truck Mecha ic for the CCCP. Yes, the CCCP. It's a beast. Also have a Blue Point 1/4" ratchet.
Attached Images    
Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

what a disgusting mess .... now THIS is what a tool kit should look like !!!!
Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ya, but my wooden hand built (by me) box save me many many US dollars allowing me to buy several more sets of SO sockets.

What's in that box of yours? Sweat? Tears? Blood? Pride? or just the steel from recycled 928s?
Old 05-19-2017, 05:14 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Clive,

Your tools look too clean !
Wish i could say the same about my tool boxes ... lol

To keep on the subject, my industrial compressor is the heart of my garage, it runs my sandblast booth as well as the multiple air drills and assorted grinders,air nibbler,orbital air sander,air ratchets, etc ...

To the OP , get yourself a nice BluePoint 1/2 drive impact gun, i have friends drive over to use it to loosen the damper pulley bolts on their Hondas because their cheaper brands don't have enough torque !
Nice Quincy compressor !
Old 05-19-2017, 07:57 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks all
I can't say enough about the Quincy compressor. 25 years ago I got an underpowered craftsman conpressor and spent a long frustrating time sandblasting my 356. The Quincy is quiet and has more power than I need. It's a whole New World and have plenty of air to power the accessories.

I wish I had the organization of the iceman. Maybe someday.

The real question is whether the snap on Bluepoint is worth double the price of the Ingersoll rand? I'll see what I can find at the pawn shops and Craigslist but it's really helpful to know what is worth my while.

To the forum, our 1986 Carrera Targa will need some cosmetic restoration especially if the engine tin and suspension bits. I'm also working on a 1958 beetle and after so many years a few pieces on the 356 need redoing.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

the guy with the wooden tool box should make dovetailed drawers for it

the with the purty pewter tool box should use it
Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by r911
the guy with the wooden tool box should make dovetailed drawers for it

the with the purty pewter tool box should use it
My brother has a full woodshop and has threatened to make me do that. What I built, the 54" X 24" plywood and pine box drawers, in place. It's screwed directly to the walls of the shed. And Clive knows just what a mess the second draw, the combo wrench drawer, is.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:11 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Everybody had their style and their own system.
My " purty" tool box has rebuilt Dozens of cars and engines from the ground up.
When you realize it's more like surgery and you have to know where every tool is at all times, you are getting there.
Take a look in any F-1 garage.
Can't afford to leave something in the patient.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

When an F-1 engine enters my side yard.....then we'll talk. Until then.... ain't nobody got time for that.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:52 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Everybody had their style and their own system.
My " purty" tool box has rebuilt Dozens of cars and engines from the ground up.
When you realize it's more like surgery and you have to know where every tool is at all times, you are getting there.
Take a look in any F-1 garage.
Can't afford to leave something in the patient.
I agree with the "like surgery" analogy, but I lack the shop area at the time being. I'm fixing that though.

IR big impact wrench for torque.

Slower Snap-On 3/8" wrench for saving your hands and wrists.

I have a Bosch impact driver too. Truth is, you need both.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:49 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The only air tool I use with any regularity (and even that is not all that often) is my IR half inch impact (2131ti but there are newer models as mine is probably 15 years old). As stated above, battery (and corded) tools have come a long way. My dewalt battery impact and 1/2in corded impact come out and work 95% of the time before I fire up the compressor. For blasting, air can't be beat. And for an air chisel aka air hammer air can't be beat. And I like the little air belt sander. I have never been a fan of air ratchets or a lot of use of air tools in general as I find the noise, including the compressor noise, ruins the experience of working on vehicles, but YMMV.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Clive, look at your combo wrenches. What's the point of the "kit" if you are missing something? Is your 16 wrenching on a trannie's nut? Where is it?

Quick Reply: What air tools do 911 owners recommend?