Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

77 911 - Getting it going again

Old 04-26-2017, 07:51 PM
theblindchicken
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77 911 - Getting it going again

Hey all,

My dad's had a 1977 911 with the 2.7L hanging around at home kinda wasting away. If I remember correctly, it was originally set aside due to an issue with the airbox? Possibly cracked, who knows. Haven't taken a good look at it yet. Hasn't ran in 10+ years.

Would love to get it running again even though it will take a good amount of work.

Here's the things that I know for sure would be necessary to get her running again:

Tires
Battery
Clean out fuel tank & lines
Engine Gasket Set
Brakes - bleed & probably new pads and/or rotors
Fully cleaned
Carb rebuild & tune.

Here's what she need to get on her way of lookin pretty again:
Body work - few dents here and there
Paint - needs to be completely stripped and redone, since it's flaking off all the way to the galvanizing or primer
Headliner - sagging and needs to be redone

Couple of questions for y'all:

1. What size & brand tires are you guys running? She's currently sitting on a set of rotten P215/60R15's
2. What do y'all recommend that needs to be checked and/or replaced? (Used to old and newer chevys)

Appreciate any and all help/guidance on this project.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:58 PM
theblindchicken
8th Gear

Pictures, since I know we all love them.
Attached Images                  
Old 04-26-2017, 08:43 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I hope you really love this car. It's gonna be a long road....and I'd start with the engine. Tires are years away.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:50 AM
theblindchicken
8th Gear

Definitely in it for the long haul. Not a large budget currently as a college kid, but I definitely wanna see her stretching her legs again. Haven't ridden with her since grade school.

Is pelican parts the only place to get a complete gasket kit for the engine?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0
Old 04-27-2017, 02:48 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You've got some 'world class' patina there. Good luck on your project . . . It's not going to be easy or inexpensive.

I might just get it running and mechanically sound; patina is all the rage now!
Old 04-27-2017, 03:32 PM
theblindchicken
8th Gear

Plan is for function now, looks later. She'll be looking pretty one day.

Looks like the panels are galvanized, if so, do you guys have any specific primers that have worked well? Would like to knock off the loose paint and give her a quick coat to keep her protected in the meantime.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:14 PM
TerryShugart
Advanced

Wow. Lots of work. Yes panels should be galvanized on a 77. Original tire size should be on the door panel. Actual tire size from Porsche varied depending on rim width and model. 215/60 15 where on 7 and 8 inch. 185/70 15 on 6 & 7 inch. From where you are I'd go with anything that fits and rolls for now.
Terry
75 911S

Trending Topics

Old 05-01-2017, 01:30 AM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're a college kid on a budget, my advice, put the car away until you're in a position to really address it's needs, which are substantial. I'd certainly try to arrest it's deterioration by cleaning it up and storing it in a dry environment. Keep going to school , get a degree and some income and then you can start the substantial restoration.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,001 Likes on 710 Posts

yeah this is not going to be cheap , I would recommend recovering when you have more funds. A couple of points.

1. If there is that much rust I would strongly suggest checking for rust at the suspension points as this car was not fully galvanized. underneat rust may kill this project in a hurry.

Why do you feel you need an engine gasket set ? if iys bleeding out because of pulled engine studs you are going to need a lot more than a gasket set, you are going to need a big bucket... full of money.

The 77 is not a Carb car so I am wondering why you think you need carb rebuild, it is a CIS car in stock form. So if it is the original engine you have to start learning CIS. Although I admire your desire, I agree with Doug, tires are years away.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:09 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Those are incredible pics. Don't ever clean it. You will be the hit of every car show you ever attend.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are you asking about engine gaskets?

There is no carb.

Be prepared to have to change the fuel pump and take apart the fuel injection, which is not a rookie job.

Love the steering wheel and narrow body. That car will smoke the tires off if you just put a 911 or a Carrera motor in it some day.

My advice is to move the car indoors, and just keep it until you have the means to restore it.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:04 PM
RFP
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 550bryan
If you're a college kid on a budget, my advice, put the car away until you're in a position to really address it's needs, which are substantial. I'd certainly try to arrest it's deterioration by cleaning it up and storing it in a dry environment. Keep going to school , get a degree and some income and then you can start the substantial restoration.
Perfect advice... do yourself - and the memory of your dad - a great favor and follow it.

As I look at your photos, I just see an endless string of $1,000 bills flying away.

You haven't ridden in it since grade school and likely won't again until grad school... if then.

I certainly understand your enthusiasm and optimism regarding resurrecting this '77, but the fact is that as a 100% newbie, you are going to be so far over your head with this, you would be wise to just move on... remember the car as it was and don't mortgage the next ten years of your life (time, money, energy, emotion) trying to recapture the past. It was your Dad's dream... go find your own. A nicer, even newer Porsche might just be the thing.

Respectfully,

Rob
Old 05-06-2017, 11:34 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

What ever happened to "Drain the fuel, clean the lines, replace the injectors, new battery and start 'er up!"
I would not advocate restoring the interior and exterior, but certainly it's a profitable venture to simply get it running, no?
Old 05-06-2017, 03:16 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
What ever happened to "Drain the fuel, clean the lines, replace the injectors, new battery and start 'er up!"
I would not advocate restoring the interior and exterior, but certainly it's a profitable venture to simply get it running, no?
That is certainly worth a try, but basically as a hobby. Expenditures on a car like this are a very slippery slope, and even if it runs this car might or might not be safe to drive, might not pass DMV inspection anywhere that is required, and certainly would not impress any potential buyer who had a clue what they were looking at.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:34 PM
RFP
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood

Actually, Shug... maybe "no" is the reality of this one. Remember, the owner is a complete novice, and I mean absolutely no disrespect by that. But a novice can (and usually does) make frequent - and costly - mistakes fiddling with this stuff and all without any clear path to recovering the money sunk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 77 911 - Getting it going again