Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

77 911 - Getting it going again

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:14 AM
09mageec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Funny story from many years ago here on Rennlist. I still remember the user name, but won't post it. The kid was handed a green '87 911 to take to UC Santa Barbara where he was doing post-grad research. He was trying to pull the front tires off and posted here for help. You see he had jacked the front wheels off the ground and tried to remove the lug nuts but the wheels just kept spinning. He was so frustrated because this sequence always worked on his old Honda.
Gold
Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 AM
09mageec
Racer

Sup, Blind Chicken. (dig the name)

I agree with the optimistic folk that have chimed in thus far.. I also agree (to a point) with some that have been tossing out warnings about shelling out a potentially large amount of money, and POTENTIALLY getting in over your head... Valkuri makes a very valid point, however. It truly does come down to what your goal with the car is. If you don't mind taking your time with your father, working on the car, and simply care about the driving experience itself, over driving a pristine restored 911, then I think you have the perfect attitude for a project like this (keep in mind, this will be a project, bud).

You may be young, but I can tell you that I'm on the younger end of the spectrum as well. I bought my '79 last summer, and guess what? - I still haven't even driven the car yet. Does it drive me nuts pulling into my driveway to a G body 911 every day knowing I haven't driven it yet? - YES! However, it is making it's way slowly, but correctly. It may not look like it came from Stuttgart circa '78, but it most certainly will be in perfect mechanical order for my first drive! Like myself, it seems like you are very capable as well.. My car (or other's for that matter) might not need the kind of TLC that yours may, but that is so far besides the point, man. The key word here is PATIENCE.

To sum things up, don't be put off by others opinions about what they think YOU should be doing. If you want to drive this car, you can and will, you also don't need to spend a fortune doing so. Just be sure to TAKE YOUR TIME (I know, it sucks), and always read as much material as you can about your 911 before you start getting your hands dirty!

Good luck, and you'll be fine. You've got people rooting for ya!

-Cam
Old 05-24-2017, 12:13 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Funny story from many years ago here on Rennlist. I still remember the user name, but won't post it. The kid was handed a green '87 911 to take to UC Santa Barbara where he was doing post-grad research. He was trying to pull the front tires off and posted here for help. You see he had jacked the front wheels off the ground and tried to remove the lug nuts but the wheels just kept spinning. He was so frustrated because this sequence always worked on his old Honda.
All he needed was an impact wrench.
I never loosen front lugs before jacking anymore.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
All he needed was an impact wrench.
I never loosen front lugs before jacking anymore.
Right. But without one, it ain't happening. He was oblivious why.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
brain, time, internet, tools

You can do anything.
do it! So much of what it takes to
make these cars tick is knowledge and time! Lean and take small steps and you'll be set for years to come. It's a life skill! My 9 year old wrenches with me and we get pretty serious. We do it all except paint.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:12 PM
theblindchicken
8th Gear

Still determined as ever. Currently setting up to pull the engine from my truck and getting it rebuilt since she burns and leaks a fair amount of oil.

In the meantime, I ordered a couple books for my dad for Father's Day.

101 Projects for your Porsche 911, 1964-1989
How to Rebuild and Modify Porsche 911 Engines 1965-1989
Porsche 911 Performance Handbook, 1963-1998

Figured those would be a great resource to go through before starting to tear things apart as well as a great reference in mid projects.

Even though it's not the particular place for it, figured I might as well show y'all a quick shot of my truck.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:37 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome parking job. Reminds me of the old K5 Blazer.

Quick Reply: 77 911 - Getting it going again