Gift advice/ideas please guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:23 AM
PiddockJ
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gift advice/ideas please guys

Hello Rennlist forum,

I'm pretty lucky I stumbled across this forum when trying to find some decent gift ideas. As you guys can see from the title I am here today because for the past couple of days all I have been thinking about is, what am I going to get my grandfather and not to mention the fact that I don't know what to get him. He is one of them fellas that if he wants or needs something then he will go out to get it. you guys can see why I'm a little stuck, he has everything he could want.

I know that he loves his 1989 Porsche Carrera Speedster more than my grandmother haha, it is his most precious car in the garage. Not because of the price it costs but because when he was a younger, this was his dream car and now he has one. Every weekend he spends a good 3-4 hours cleaning and buffing the Porsche until it's spotless. Then he likes to take it out down countryside lanes and feel what motoring used to be like in sports cars. I have had a look down the root of getting him some cleaning equipment like this http://www.used.forsale/canada/toronto/car-buffer but the fact of the matter is, he already has all of this and I wouldn't know where to start.

What do you guys think? He will be turning 73 and still as strong as an Ox, loves life and is always on the move. I want it to have some relevance to his Porsche if possible but I am open to all ideas. Really looking forward to speaking with you all.

Thanks

Last edited by PiddockJ; 04-28-2017 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:47 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Take a look at the Suncoast website:

https://www.suncoastparts.com
Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Buy him a subscription to Pete Stout's new magazine 000.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:11 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

He probably already has his favorite cleaning supplies, but you could get him a gift certificate to Griot's Garage.

Nice quality scale model of the car.

That home looks European - does he live there? That might change things based on availability. Maybe something from Otto Fuchs (they make the Speedster wheels): http://ottofuchs.praesentstudio-soen...und-the-Wheel/

Mark
Old 04-25-2017, 06:36 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Piddock, honoring your grandfather with a perfect gift shows real respect. No doubt gramps thinks 1989 was a vintage year for Porsche Speedsters. 1989 was also a great vintage for grape varietals and the resulting wines in the Bordeaux. Experts, vintners and wags have called it the ‘vintage of the century’. Maybe a fine 1989 Bordeaux for the birthday dinner will inspire the old codger to pencil your name to the Speedster in his will. Win/win don’t you think?

Anyways, two 1989s that I’ve enjoyed a little sip, are the 89 Pichon Baron Pauillac about $250 to 300 from fine wine merchants, and the 89 Chateau Angelus, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru about $250 to 350.

Anyone who gifts me any of those gets top billing in my heart, by-the-way!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:58 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Get the scale model 911 engine that you can put together yourself. It's on Amazon or pelican parts
Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

^^^ or a metal model of his speedster, I know I would love one... Grand-kids are you listening??
Old 04-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

There's a limited edition book called the story of the air cooled 911 or something like that, check out veloce.co.uk it's pretty awesome.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:55 AM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

I hand make these embossed leather lanyard & crest keychains if you're interested :-)

Old 04-26-2017, 01:52 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All great ideas, especially the magazine subscription and the wine. I love Bordeaux style wines, especially California blends from Alexander Valley.

So to really get a great gift, does he work on the car at all, or is he more of a wash and wax guy? Does he like movies, books, collect stuff, etc?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:37 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Have someone do a sketch of the car and then have a faux canvas print made.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:18 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by n8kruger
Get the scale model 911 engine that you can put together yourself. It's on Amazon or pelican parts

Should be receiving more stock on these any day now: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ming-soon.html

Also, we do have a gift guide here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...sche_guide.htm.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-26-2017, 04:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jackkthemackk
I hand make these embossed leather lanyard & crest keychains if you're interested :-)

I'll tell you what I would like - a leather drawstring bag to keep loose change in. Porsches NEVER have a good place for that, and you never have change for parking meters as a result.

I used to have one that we got in New Mexico, made by an Indian tribe. It was like a medicine bag, except that it was made to stand up, so it had a circular flat bottom. It pulled closed if you tug on the cord. Think cowboy movies, and what they would put gold nuggets in as currency. I left it on top of a gas station pump because I kept my gas cap key in it. Stupid me! I've not been able to find another one ever since, and it's been almost 20 years.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:28 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Originally Posted by rusnak
I'll tell you what I would like - a leather drawstring bag to keep loose change in. Porsches NEVER have a good place for that, and you never have change for parking meters as a result.

I used to have one that we got in New Mexico, made by an Indian tribe. It was like a medicine bag, except that it was made to stand up, so it had a circular flat bottom. It pulled closed if you tug on the cord. Think cowboy movies, and what they would put gold nuggets in as currency. I left it on top of a gas station pump because I kept my gas cap key in it. Stupid me! I've not been able to find another one ever since, and it's been almost 20 years.
I'd definitely be interested in making one if you're interested!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jackkthemackk
I'd definitely be interested in making one if you're interested!
I'm definitely interested. My email is Sequoiafjv@aol.com. Let me know how you want to work, get paid, etc etc.

Quick Reply: Gift advice/ideas please guys