Thoughts on this car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 11:21 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Thoughts on this car...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Porsche...m=162386565782

Its been on and off the market for 10 months which is a bit concerning. Additionally, according to the carfax its only gone 600 miles or so over the last few years, since its transformation. Looking at the car there are some pretty in your face signs that its done more miles since the transformation, meaning the odo was not working, which is pretty common.

I am not looking for a track car. That means I need to rework the entire interior. Not concerned about no AC but I need heat.

Looks like a lot of car for $45k
Old 02-13-2017, 11:44 AM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Porsche...m=162386565782

Its been on and off the market for 10 months which is a bit concerning. Additionally, according to the carfax its only gone 600 miles or so over the last few years, since its transformation. Looking at the car there are some pretty in your face signs that its done more miles since the transformation, meaning the odo was not working, which is pretty common.

I am not looking for a track car. That means I need to rework the entire interior. Not concerned about no AC but I need heat.

Looks like a lot of car for $45k
Interesting. I looked at that car locally about a year and 1/2 ago and they we're asking $36k. It was clean when i looked at it but didnt fit what i was looking for at that time.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:25 PM
no.radar
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I'm certainly no expert...

... especially on the mechanical angle, but it sounds to me like you're really after something a good bit more stock than this one. De-contenting the race interior will be neither fun nor cheap.

My 2-cents: I'd wait for something more to your liking.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:35 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

@Petey, I really like the car you picked up. It strikes a nice balance between track and street. Looked like a well executed car for a fair price. Enjoy it. By the way... what part of NJ are you in? I'd love to see your new acquisition. I work in South Jersey.

@no.radar... I don't mind the hard edge of this car, and I have enough interior pieces from over the years that the costs wont be crazy. Just something nagging at my on this car. On paper it looks like it should sell for a whole lot more just based on the parts used in it.

The alternative is to start on the 88 coupe I recently picked up and turn it over time into what I want.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:06 PM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@Petey, I really like the car you picked up. It strikes a nice balance between track and street. Looked like a well executed car for a fair price. Enjoy it. By the way... what part of NJ are you in? I'd love to see your new acquisition. I work in South Jersey.

@no.radar... I don't mind the hard edge of this car, and I have enough interior pieces from over the years that the costs wont be crazy. Just something nagging at my on this car. On paper it looks like it should sell for a whole lot more just based on the parts used in it.

The alternative is to start on the 88 coupe I recently picked up and turn it over time into what I want.
Thanks! I probably overpaid a bit but it struck a nerve and I bit- That car is very clean. I would go look at it and drive it if you can. I think its been in the same hands for awhile. Im in North Jersy by the GW. Let me know if you pick it up. Ill take the seats
Old 02-13-2017, 02:11 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I've considered doing that rear bumper treatment on my 74 but using stock turn signals. I like it. I may need to do this.

I like a project. I would probably personalize the 88 you got over this car though that Jacksic engine would be nice to have.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:58 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

If you go this route you end up with exactly what you want. That's is what I decided to do with the 79 I picked up in December, turn her into a trackrat with mostly bolt on parts and possibly a transmission.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

You guys are all correct... its really too track oriented. I just keep seeing a car that cries out for some work to make it a whole lot more streetable and a hell of a fun dual purpose car just needs to lean more towards the street than it does now.

I do wonder how streetable the motor is on 93 octane pump gas. The headers have heater boxes, they're just not hooked up to anything.

Back dating the heat so no blowers is not all that hard but its going to take some more parts.
Its also going to need a bit more mellow exhaust / muffler
Rain hats for the Webers
Return the Webers
Strip the current interior including removing some of sections of the roll bar, rendering it fairly useless.
Dynomat the inerior.
Build a rear seat delete box.
Trim and Carpet
Seats
Replace the rear quarter windows with glass
Maybe redo the headliner
Remove as much of the striping and graphics as possible
Strip the wheels or replace them ( I have a set of Lindsey 17's and another on the way)

Yes its a lot of work and parts and time but in the end it might be a heck of a hot rod. Surely if it was more steeetable it would have a much broad appeal in the market.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ended at $45K....does that mean it sold for $45K?
Old 02-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

No Sale

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this car...