Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is a 911 SC the right car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:26 PM
Speedmeister
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 911 SC the right car for me?

Hello everyone,

The 911 SC has been a car I always thought was beautiful and would love to own one. Recently a 1983 has popped up next to me. The asking price is 23k which is within my budget range for a car. The problem with the car is that it will need a repaint and the odometer has been rolled back. As far as I know there is no rust.

I am currently a student in college and my question is, would this car be reliable enough to daily drive for about 8k miles a year? This is would not be my only car, I can use my parents car if I do experience some issues but I would hate to buy a car that will always be needing to go to the shop. Also, should I consider this car with its rolled back mileage? I don't mind buying a car with some cosmetic damage and I plan to steadily work on the car myself to make it better and better as I accumulate money, but I also want something that is mechanically sound and going to treat me well while still being absolutely gorgeous and fun to drive while not be a huge financial strain.

Is it typically you get what you pay for with the 911 sc? Would it be better to save longer and get one at around the 30k price point?

Thank you
Old 01-29-2017, 11:31 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

23k wont get you much of a SC today.

If you cant afford a PPI dont buy it.

These cars can be great, or money pits. Parts arent cheap and labor is 145.00 per hour in LA P car shops.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:14 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

It's no fun spending $23K on a car and then finding out it needs several thousand more dollars spent before it is reliable/safe. Odds are there is a lot more lurking under that shapely sheet metal than paint problems and an inaccurate odometer.

I think your buying power is likely to go up faster than the value of these cars, so I would wait and save more. How much research have you done to prepare yourself to evaluate a used air-cooled car? Have you read "The Used 911 Story"?

Meanwhile also hang out here and on the Pelican Parts forums. You'll learn a lot, and be much better prepared when a good car turns up.

Mark
Old 01-30-2017, 12:43 AM
Sonoma707
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A few questions before you decide:
How many owners?
What is extent of maintenance history?
How many miles? Is the mileage roll back due to new speedometer or do you know why?
Get a PPI to determine if mechanically sound - this will show you whether this is a car that will suit your needs. If motor, transmission, and suspension in good shape, you can do the cosmetics later, as you plan. Interior care a good indicator of how well the car has been maintained.
Also, PPI will show any rust issues that may need to addressed.
Where is this car located? Winter weather has a definite impact regarding rust issues.
I got hold of an ' 84 Coupe w/ 90k miles, California car & garaged so no rust. Paint & interior original.. I lucked out and got it for $25k from a friend, so it was easily priced under market value. I only say this because there can be good deals out there.
Like post above, you might want to do some reading about these cars. One thing a given, unless you are planning on doing your own wrenching, shop work can get pricy.
Good luck with your search. If you find a well maintained, mechanically sound vehicle, you can enjoy many miles and years of enjoyment.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:22 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

If the odomoter has been rolled back (which is still a federal offense), I think that's a bad starting point. Buying a problem car on a shoestring is a recipe for bitter disappointment.

My advice, if you really badly desperately need a car with a Porsche badge on it right now right here, look for a well-sorted 944. That price should buy you a good one. Then when you have a job and more financial security, you can buy a very good car for $30k+.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:29 AM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

the SC is a wonderful car. make sure you have a PPI from a well known shop and enjoy. doubtful you will find a nice sorted SC for $23k but you might. I sold one about a year ago for $35k and it was an awesome car, miss it
Old 01-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Speedmeister
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Sonoma707
A few questions before you decide:
How many owners?
What is extent of maintenance history?
How many miles? Is the mileage roll back due to new speedometer or do you know why?
Get a PPI to determine if mechanically sound - this will show you whether this is a car that will suit your needs. If motor, transmission, and suspension in good shape, you can do the cosmetics later, as you plan. Interior care a good indicator of how well the car has been maintained.
Also, PPI will show any rust issues that may need to addressed.
Where is this car located? Winter weather has a definite impact regarding rust issues.
I got hold of an ' 84 Coupe w/ 90k miles, California car & garaged so no rust. Paint & interior original.. I lucked out and got it for $25k from a friend, so it was easily priced under market value. I only say this because there can be good deals out there.
Like post above, you might want to do some reading about these cars. One thing a given, unless you are planning on doing your own wrenching, shop work can get pricy.
Good luck with your search. If you find a well maintained, mechanically sound vehicle, you can enjoy many miles and years of enjoyment.
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/ctd/5968986828.html this is the car here. They include a car fax which says that the car had 180,000 miles in 94 and it looks like it was rolled back with 63,000 miles in 99. No mention of how many owners but I'm also not expecting a great car for the price they're selling it at. I will definitely get a PPI to see if it is mechanically sound and rust free. Do you believe with these issues however, that it is worth checking out for the price? EDIT: Nevermind it has been sold. Guess it's back to searching. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Speedmeister; 01-30-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Sold
Old 01-30-2017, 03:05 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

Well, if it is any consolation, that car doesn't have the correct engine.

That engine is a 1978 or a 1979, based on the presence of the air pump and plastic fuel lines.

Mark
Old 01-30-2017, 05:02 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A SC might be the right car for you, but not this one.

Pm me for my buying experience with vertex, and for that matter autohaus1
Old 01-30-2017, 06:14 PM
CAporsche
Instructor

If you cant afford a PPI dont buy it.
This.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Speedmeister
5th Gear

Originally Posted by CAporsche
This.

I can afford a PPI. I just can't afford those going for 40k+. It's sad to think that a few years ago the same car would have cost around 15k
Old 01-30-2017, 06:47 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

drive the car, make sure you have a complete service and owner history, get a Pre Purchase Inspection and be prepared to spend money on issues the PPI does not uncover, this happens.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:53 PM
gerry100
Pro

buy a Camry, study hard and save some money
Old 01-30-2017, 07:15 PM
CAporsche
Instructor

I admit I bought mine sight unseen, but I enjoy rescuing the unloved (and I can afford it.) I'm still finding things wrong with it after several thousand extremely fun dollars. And it was super cheap to start with, so I did get lucky there.

So it depends on your tolerance for risk. No one in this thread can answer that bit for you.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:54 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

an SC may well be the car for you, tho this particular one may not

get a good mechanic lined up who specializes in old air-cooled 911s

are you in a major city or out in the sticks (and will need to travel to look at cars)?

Quick Reply: Is a 911 SC the right car for me?