Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cayman to classic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 04:51 PM
iFox
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cayman to classic?

Hello all! I am new to this site but not new to Porsche. I have had 3 Boxsters and am on my 3rd Cayman, a 2014 base model (manual obviously) with a sports exhaust. The Cayman before this was an S model.

I have been leasing and as this car comes to term, I have decided that I am not much interested in the new turbo engines at all. This brings me to what I have always wanted, and that as you guessed, is an ac classic 911. At first I started looking at T's, which have just become way too expensive, and after further research I have found them to be not as enjoyable as a daily driver.

I then was all about the SC's, and that was what I was looking for until recently when I got to drive a very nice 1987 Carrera with 39K miles that was very well kept. I liked how the G50 shifted and I also liked the quality of the interior, not only have I always had more respect for the older models as having a much more substantial feel and look the them, but I also appreciate the neatness that comes from something being well kept.

My biggest questions are those which you have already heard hundreds of times. Can I really use this car as a daily driver (non snow months only) ?? Is an asking price of $69K for a pretty much spotless example fair? Its a two owner car with original paint and lots of receipts for maintenance.

What are the ownership costs really like? I am assuming its less than that of a Cayman but I could be wrong. With the Cayman, tires (4 20" continentals set me back over $1K. Recently I had to do the front brakes and that was over $1K.

If I am used to having a new Porsche every 3-4 years and having to deal with maintenance costs that associate with those durations, what will this be like?

I will be driving from the downtown Chicago area to near Ohare everyday. Its approx 40 miles roundtrip. I have done this commute YEAR ROUND, in snow and whatever..even in blizzards in every Porsche I have ever had, as I have never had a 2nd car. When salt comes, THIS car will be garaged and I will be in a suv. If I love ...LOVE the feel and drive not to mention the amazing looks that only come (for me) from a 911 classic....will I be happy with such a decision?

Thanks,

SS-
Old 10-25-2016, 07:03 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi iFox a lot of subjective material here but i will lend an ear since i have a 1987 Carrera and a 2007 Boxster S.
Comparisons of the two are impossible. Not just mid-engine vs rear engine, but comfort, safety, ease of use are key.

As far as ease of use a 993 911 will be the most comfortable and closest in modern convenience compared to what you have been driving. A 964 will also suffice, and still give you that classic 911 look.
I have a 964 C4 i drive 25,000 + miles a year , every day, in all weather as a daily driver and i ALWAYS look forward to getting in it and driving it.

The 1987 Carrera is one of the best if not the best air cooled, old school, real-deal 911s that is usable on a daily basis. I will tell you that age will have something to do with your stamina driving one every day.
i am almost 60 yrs old and i find the 87 wears me out if i drive it a lot and often compared to the 964.
The difference is like flying a jet vs flying a prop plane.

$ 69K is too much money. You can find low ,mileage nice examples of 1987-1989 Carreras for mid 40s to low 50s. keep looking unless of course you already fell in love, in which case, just fall for it lol!

Maintenance will be less expensive on normal wear items like oil changes, tires, tune ups, brakes etc... except you will have to do a valve adjustment every 15,000 miles on the early 911; whereas you do not have to do that to your Cayman / Boxsters.
And if you are mechanically inclined even a little, or interested mechanically the G-cars are super easy and simple to work on yourself sans motor/ trans work.

Even compared to having new cars every 3-4 yrs and associated costs the G- car will be cheaper to run and maintain. It is just a much simpler car with less to go wrong.

I would strongly suggest you take a nice long drive in a good example 911, maybe several of them from various vintages- to see the differences and what is most user friendly for you.

Again, Cayman and Boxster are incredible cars; and have Porscheness to them. But nothing like an old school air cooled 911.
hope this helps
Nic

Quick Reply: Cayman to classic?