Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oes whistle-sound indicate alternator issues (1988 3.2)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 03:16 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default oes whistle-sound indicate alternator issues (1988 3.2)?

I have owned my '88 Cab for over a year now with 148 Kmiles, but it is my first air-cooled so I don't have experience with sounds - which are normal and which are not.

The car has always had a whirring, whistling sound from the back and I always assumed it was the cooling fan. The audio frequency of the whistle tracks with RPM.

But recently I noticed that when I turn on the headlights, the sound gets much louder. Also, the whistle appears in the right speaker of my after-market stereo - especially when the headlights are on.

So now I am wondering if this indicates a possible problem with the alternator, maybe a bad diode on the regulator or something and I am now worried that the alternator may soon fail.

I have most, but not all service records and I did not find any record that the alternator has been changed. The alternator "looked" new (cleaner than other stuff) when I got the car.

Should I replace the alternator to prevent a failure?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

I wouldn't . But I would keep my eyes out for a deal .. I bought one at Hershey as I had the same concern you did , a whistling sound . its been sitting on my shelf for about 8 years now and hasn't moved an inch.
I would see what kind of voltage you are seeing at your battery while idling and at 2,000 rpm . I don't remember the specs but if you are getting 13.5 -14 v I would leave it its fine. Go fix the ground on your crappy aftermarket radio
Old 08-11-2016, 10:34 PM
TerrySmith
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
I wouldn't . But I would keep my eyes out for a deal .. I bought one at Hershey as I had the same concern you did , a whistling sound . its been sitting on my shelf for about 8 years now and hasn't moved an inch.
I would see what kind of voltage you are seeing at your battery while idling and at 2,000 rpm . I don't remember the specs but if you are getting 13.5 -14 v I would leave it its fine. Go fix the ground on your crappy aftermarket radio
Thanks. FYI, my indie Porsche mechanic verified that the sound is normal.

The after market stereo is a high-end Alpine from the mid-90s (installed by a prior owner) with awesome sound (else if I would have gotten rid of it). But the hum is in the right channel only even when I reverse the inputs from the head unit left to right, the hum stays in the right channel only. So I do suspect a bad ground internal to the power amp. Sometimes I hear the identical subject alternator whine reproduced in the right speaker.

But I wanted to run down the alternator thing because a bad regulator might put more noise on the DC power lines in the car - not sure why that would only show in the right channel. Next step is to pull the amp and see if it can be fixed.

Thanks for the response.

Quick Reply: oes whistle-sound indicate alternator issues (1988 3.2)?