Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heater question for an 86 (this one is different!)

Old 06-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Burning Man
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater question for an 86 (this one is different!)

I know there are 1,001 posts regarding heat in the 84 - 89 -- and I feel like I've read them all -- but none speak to this specific issue I'm experiencing.

In my '86 Targa the heat on passenger side persists, even when not actively on. I know this is not uncommon, especially for those with automatic heat. But where my issue differs is that the level of heat is *obscene*. At times I'm shocked that flames are not shooting out of the circular under-dash vent or that I've not had a vehicle fire. If I shift the heat to the windshield, the metal plate that runs along the dashboard is too hot to even touch. I pulled the firewall in the passenger foot well and the fan case is also too hot to touch.

I checked the flapper boxes, they're operating fine -- they open all the way, they close all the way. I pulled the power to the passenger fan but that made no difference in heat coming in to the cabin. How is the heat coming in from the engine and how do I fix it?

The faster I drive the more forceful the air flow, so I'm guessing a baffle somewhere isn't functioning. But where?

It's summer and I already have a dark chocolate interior. With this issue, the car is basically undriveable. Help?
Old 10-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Usedcat
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started having the same issue with my 87… Did you ever find any resolution?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:07 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had this problem along time ago. You probably want to lube your cables or replace. Even if the flappers open and close all the way manually if the mechanism isn't able to pull them because of the binding cable you will have persistent heat. Try to disconnect the cable at the flapper and you will stop the heat on that side.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:18 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do a google image search of "911 flapper boxes" and you will see that they are basically a disposable part that needs to be replaced.

The box corrodes, the spring stretches, the wire stretches, the nuts do what nuts do, and the plastic wiper inside looses it's seal.

I went full retard and switched to manual pulls.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:19 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Burning Man, I presume from your post that you have a manual system. If so, either your cable from the handle between the seats to the flapper box is broken/unlocked or the flapper inside the box has become dislodged from the pivot axle.
Hope this helps.
Johan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater question for an 86 (this one is different!)