Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sell my '03 Turbo to finance an AC hot-rod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 12:24 AM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sell my '03 Turbo to finance an AC hot-rod?

I've been longing for a pre '75 911 to turn into a hotrod for the last 18 months or so. The itch comes and goes, but always seems to return with a vengeance.
I've recently located a perfect hot-rod candidate in an extremely rare factory color. However, I would need to sell my '03 X50 to finance the hot rod idea.
Sooooo....I'm strongly considering placing my thoroughly loved and sorted, highly optioned turbo up for sale. I would prefer to sell my Porsche to another enthusiast.
I've already drawn up a draft for an ad should I decide to commit to this madness.
As far as intended use, this will likely be my one and only ride. I work from home and put about 4k miles/yr on the turbo. I also live near one of the best driving roads in California.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on this idea. Tell me how crazy I am for considering this, as my indy mechanic and most of the crowd in the turbo forum already has. Talk me off the ledge.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:06 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

DO IT!!!!

Old 06-04-2016, 02:19 AM
Bleek
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the sale of the car will provide enough $$ to build the car you want. So far, my hotrod has already consumed 2 cars and doesn't look like it has any intention to stop. About 3 times more than I budgeted for. That said, I did little to no work myself. Hey, I can put in a new steering wheel, lol.

So funny because the next car it is threatening to consume is a cherry SC, that I was considering selling for a 996 Turbo.

Best of luck! You only live once!
Old 06-04-2016, 05:04 AM
union
Instructor

Building a basic 69-73 hotrod won't be too expensive, throw a 2.7, 3.0, 3.2; toss in some SC or later suspension, aftermarket Recaros, flares and some 15x7/8 Fuchs and you are all done. But thats just the bare basic hotrod and there's so many out there.

If you are thinking a 3.6, twin plug motor or a 930 with custom suspension, period correct interior, h1, RSR wheels etc... It gets very expensive and probably better to buy someone else project and finish it to your own liking. Writing checks to have someone build you a hotrod especially if one with good details is super expensive. I think if you want rothsport to build you one, prices are around $150K but they are one of the best. Of course there's Singer but that's $400K

That said, if you have the budget and the know how, get the hotrod. Just make sure you are building a good one as there's a resale market for these now.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:59 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a daily driver, even if you work from home I would stick with the 996 or buy another cheap car to daily. Reading the comments on this forum seem to be "take a budget & double it"... Depends how sorted you want it I guess. If your Indy is talking you out of it, perhaps he has a point?

Sorry to sound like the fun police, its not a bad idea, but I couldn't daily my 930, I imagine a hot rod is more rugged again.

Edit: Just read your thread on the 996tt forum, looks like you've invested $$ to get your Turbo just right, perhaps take an old 911 for a drive first.

Last edited by Pel; 06-04-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:45 AM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I am three years and about $100K into my 72 hot rod project. I also sold an old mistress, in this case a 97 911 C2S wide body car to support the financial commitment of building a hot rod 911 from scratch. We are finally in the home stretch as the car is being assembled so I see the light at the end, finally. Would I do it all over again? Absolutely, the build has been fun, rewarding and challenging. I'll have exactly the car of my initial vision and know everything that was done, by me or someone I hired. All that said be prepared to spend way more than you think (or budget) and it will take longer than you want. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:15 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Do eet. Last summer I was presented an S title 74 with a 3.2 swap dolled up to look like a 930 slantnose. It was done in steel with a bunch of interesting original factory parts. I bit.

I sold my 67 912 to finance it. The car was originally gulf blue, which meant a lot to me. We did a bare metal respray in Gulf Blue and took it back to IB. It had SC flares installed (the right way all the way to the windows) in place of the vented 930 pieces. No tail.

It's still a work in progress with some electrical gremlins, some Frankenstein 1980s stereo and alarm stuff that needs to be pulled. I will be removing the power windows and rear seats this summer. I also work from home. I bought a $10k Boxster as a DD while I sort the 74. I'm all in on the toy car.

The question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you are into a project. I've burned out and gotten re-fired up over the years. I'm inspired to wrench in a way I haven't been in years. Building a personal car isn't for the feint of heart. But when you're done, whether you did it or checkbooked it, it offers great satisfaction.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amber lamps
DO IT!!!!
Your vote is noted.

Originally Posted by Bleek
Make sure the sale of the car will provide enough $$ to build the car you want. So far, my hotrod has already consumed 2 cars and doesn't look like it has any intention to stop. About 3 times more than I budgeted for. That said, I did little to no work myself. Hey, I can put in a new steering wheel, lol.

So funny because the next car it is threatening to consume is a cherry SC, that I was considering selling for a 996 Turbo.

Best of luck! You only live once!
The idea is either....
Find a driver quality vehicle and do the build slowly as the resources become available.
or
Find a completed hot-rod.

Originally Posted by union
Building a basic 69-73 hotrod won't be too expensive, throw a 2.7, 3.0, 3.2; toss in some SC or later suspension, aftermarket Recaros, flares and some 15x7/8 Fuchs and you are all done. But thats just the bare basic hotrod and there's so many out there.

If you are thinking a 3.6, twin plug motor or a 930 with custom suspension, period correct interior, h1, RSR wheels etc... It gets very expensive and probably better to buy someone else project and finish it to your own liking. Writing checks to have someone build you a hotrod especially if one with good details is super expensive. I think if you want rothsport to build you one, prices are around $150K but they are one of the best. Of course there's Singer but that's $400K

That said, if you have the budget and the know how, get the hotrod. Just make sure you are building a good one as there's a resale market for these now.
We'd all love a Singer, but it isn't yet in the cards for me. I'd be looking to build a poor man's Singer or actually something more like Jack Olsen's Black Beauty.

Originally Posted by Pel
For a daily driver, even if you work from home I would stick with the 996 or buy another cheap car to daily. Reading the comments on this forum seem to be "take a budget & double it"... Depends how sorted you want it I guess. If your Indy is talking you out of it, perhaps he has a point?

Sorry to sound like the fun police, its not a bad idea, but I couldn't daily my 930, I imagine a hot rod is more rugged again.

Edit: Just read your thread on the 996tt forum, looks like you've invested $$ to get your Turbo just right, perhaps take an old 911 for a drive first.
Frank advice is always appreciated (at least by me it is). My indy is intimately familiar with the level of attention I've lavished onto my 996 Turbo and how fast it is. He feels I'd be "disappointed" with the driving experience of an older 911. He mostly works on the AC cars...has a legit '73 RS undergoing full restoration in his shop right now, as well as a '69S, etc.

Originally Posted by NickyP
I am three years and about $100K into my 72 hot rod project. I also sold an old mistress, in this case a 97 911 C2S wide body car to support the financial commitment of building a hot rod 911 from scratch. We are finally in the home stretch as the car is being assembled so I see the light at the end, finally. Would I do it all over again? Absolutely, the build has been fun, rewarding and challenging. I'll have exactly the car of my initial vision and know everything that was done, by me or someone I hired. All that said be prepared to spend way more than you think (or budget) and it will take longer than you want. Good luck with your decision.
You're not making this any easier. Congrats on your build!

Originally Posted by GTgears
Do eet. Last summer I was presented an S title 74 with a 3.2 swap dolled up to look like a 930 slantnose. It was done in steel with a bunch of interesting original factory parts. I bit.

I sold my 67 912 to finance it. The car was originally gulf blue, which meant a lot to me. We did a bare metal respray in Gulf Blue and took it back to IB. It had SC flares installed (the right way all the way to the windows) in place of the vented 930 pieces. No tail.

It's still a work in progress with some electrical gremlins, some Frankenstein 1980s stereo and alarm stuff that needs to be pulled. I will be removing the power windows and rear seats this summer. I also work from home. I bought a $10k Boxster as a DD while I sort the 74. I'm all in on the toy car.

The question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you are into a project. I've burned out and gotten re-fired up over the years. I'm inspired to wrench in a way I haven't been in years. Building a personal car isn't for the feint of heart. But when you're done, whether you did it or checkbooked it, it offers great satisfaction.
Interesting input. The car I'm looking at is a '74, with a 3.0 sc engine, and what looks to be a high quality (butt welded, etc) steel 930 conversion done in the late '80's by a known shop. The car is also a very unique and attractive factory special order color. One owner California car, too. I figure it's likely been well loved. I'll confirm by inspecting first hand.

Someone on the 996 turbo board suggested that once you lose the original engine and make bodywork changes (go the hot-rod route), that it's no longer worth paying a premium to obtain a unique factory original color. That once you're into hot rod mode, you're welcome to paint it any color, since the car is no longer original anyway.
Thoughts?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 183 Likes on 144 Posts

It seems to me that once you lose the originality, all bets are off. It all comes down to what you want to pay for the whole package. Every buyer will have their own definition of what they are willing to pay extra for. If you love that color, then it seems reasonable that you might pay more for it.

You have to set your own priorities. It doesn't matter what someone else thinks. Not even sure it would help with resale, as you'll have to find the right buyer. Someone will always want a perfect original car. A hot rod, maybe not as big a market.

Mark
Old 06-05-2016, 12:23 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I took a lowly cab that was nothing special and turned it into a car that causes grown men to curse at me on the internet, but garners attention in person that is simply unexplainable. Everyone loves it. I've done to it what I wanted to do and it stops people in their tracks.

Do the hot rod. Do it just to say F U to all the pussies on the internet that think only original cars have value. When exporters are knocking on my door and offering me obscene money for my reviled little side-yard build....then you know you are on to something.
Attached Images     
Old 06-05-2016, 12:43 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Do the hot rod. Do it just to say F U to all the pussies on the internet that think only original cars have value.
Just to clarify, the comment wasn't: only original cars have value... It was: since you're going hot rod, don't pay a premium for a chassis in a rare factory color. Buy a solid chassis for cheaper in a random color and paint it as you please, since factory color won't matter much at all to a future buyer of your hot rod.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:39 AM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
...factory color won't matter much at all to a future buyer of your hot rod.
I was hoping to get other's thoughts on this part. Not that I necessarily disagree. I only plan to buy a solid chassis in either instance.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:50 AM
Bleek
Instructor

I guess it depends on how far you take it. If you go full retard like I did, I doubt any future buyer would care about original color. If you left the car mostly original body with modded suspension and engine, and had the original engine, then much more of a consideration since they could conceivably put it back to stock.

But, that's just like, my opinion man!

BTW, I can't believe I didn't comment on your name and avatar. Walter is my alter ego. I don't roll on Shabbos, but I'm not Jewish. OK...I do roll on shabbos, but I'm always packin!
Old 06-05-2016, 05:21 AM
union
Instructor

Originally Posted by Th Dude
I was hoping to get other's thoughts on this part. Not that I necessarily disagree. I only plan to buy a solid chassis in either instance.

Take my words with a grain of salt, since I have low post count but I've been watching the AC hotrod market for some time. If your car originally was a special color or unique, keep it that color. Look at all the hotrods auto kennel sells. The ones that usually go first are original color cars that stand out like viper/conda green, tangerine, gulf etc...

For resale, even though it's a hotrod; peope will pay more or car might sell faster in original color. Maybe red might not? I've seen a real nice sepia brown hotrod that I liked.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Th Dude
I know - just wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding...

Quick Reply: Sell my '03 Turbo to finance an AC hot-rod?