Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sell my '03 Turbo to finance an AC hot-rod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

The 996 turbo is becoming highly sought after and by far the most robust of the 996/7 line.

I would never get rid of that to build a niche car that a very small segment of the population would appreciate.
But that's just me.

I Like all original cars to be fair and unless you go all out like jacks , you could end up with something you built in your own back yard.

I'd find another way go fund it.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:44 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

i agree with the Iceman, the 996TT is a great car, will go up against anything out there. on it's way to collectability. there are hot rods that appear to be butchered, cars that no one will want, perhaps you will have the money and wherewithall to build a beauty, to each their own.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:17 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO, seems like the hot rodding thing is coming back in a big way...recent segment on Porche Outlaws on CNBC lives of super rich, other car related shows, car mags, etc.
Agree the 996 TT (esp. the X50 option) will be irreplacable for reasonable money since those values are going up fast, Ive been following them for 2 years.
Good luck with decision.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bleek
I guess it depends on how far you take it. If you go full retard like I did, I doubt any future buyer would care about original color. If you left the car mostly original body with modded suspension and engine, and had the original engine, then much more of a consideration since they could conceivably put it back to stock.

But, that's just like, my opinion man!

BTW, I can't believe I didn't comment on your name and avatar. Walter is my alter ego. I don't roll on Shabbos, but I'm not Jewish. OK...I do roll on shabbos, but I'm always packin!
You're not wrong, Walter.

Originally Posted by union
Take my words with a grain of salt, since I have low post count but I've been watching the AC hotrod market for some time. If your car originally was a special color or unique, keep it that color. Look at all the hotrods auto kennel sells. The ones that usually go first are original color cars that stand out like viper/conda green, tangerine, gulf etc...

For resale, even though it's a hotrod; peope will pay more or car might sell faster in original color. Maybe red might not? I've seen a real nice sepia brown hotrod that I liked.
Auto Kennel seems to get some nice examples. They've had a couple RSR clones in the past year that are fantastic.

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I know - just wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding...

Originally Posted by theiceman
The 996 turbo is becoming highly sought after and by far the most robust of the 996/7 line.

I would never get rid of that to build a niche car that a very small segment of the population would appreciate.
But that's just me.

I Like all original cars to be fair and unless you go all out like jacks , you could end up with something you built in your own back yard.

I'd find another way go fund it.
Relevant points for sure.

Originally Posted by grgallo
i agree with the Iceman, the 996TT is a great car, will go up against anything out there. on it's way to collectability. there are hot rods that appear to be butchered, cars that no one will want, perhaps you will have the money and wherewithall to build a beauty, to each their own.
It's a heart vs head debate I'm having with myself.
Jack's videos aren't helping.

Originally Posted by tgil
IMO, seems like the hot rodding thing is coming back in a big way...recent segment on Porche Outlaws on CNBC lives of super rich, other car related shows, car mags, etc.
Agree the 996 TT (esp. the X50 option) will be irreplacable for reasonable money since those values are going up fast, Ive been following them for 2 years.
Good luck with decision.
Some of the parts I've located for my turbo, specifically the NOS X73 suspension, are indeed "irreplaceable". Other than that, I'd like to think that IF I go through with this and IF I were to regret my decision, the car I get will have enough "value" to allow me switch again.
Anybody with a crystal ball mind confirming this for me?
Old 06-06-2016, 05:07 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

If the TT is your DD how are going to drive anywhere if you sell it?
Old 06-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Either...
Replace it with a driver quality car that will get built, in stages, over a period of time. Every six months or so, the car will go to the shop for a few weeks.
or
Buy a completed build.

I can get by without a car for a few weeks at time. I live in a small community with good public transportation that is quite convenient.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:12 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My opinion is the same as it was a few days ago over in 996 Turbo land--until you drive, and fully understand, the torsion bar chassis cars are it's a pretty futile undertaking.

To state what I wrote over there another way, I'd say it's at least 10:1 against going backward in time from the guys I've seen. Unless it's truly an occasional car, and you're building a collection. "Style" notwithstanding, it's usually bitching about what it lacking, relative to a guy's first experience with a water cooled (or even coil spring) car. I even saw it 20-30 years ago when we'd hack a 2.7L car into something, and the guy was coming from a 964.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:06 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
"Style" notwithstanding, it's usually bitching about what it lacking, relative to a guy's first experience with a water cooled (or even coil spring) car
I don't know... It's true that it's an occasional car, but I actually love all the things my 74 is lacking. Unassisted steer and brake, power nothing, electronic nothing, etc.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

I don't know... It's true that it's an occasional car, but I actually love all the things my 74 is lacking. Unassisted steer and brake, power nothing, electronic nothing, etc.
How built is your car? I commend you if you're running a 245 (God forbid a 275) tire up front, with something like a 930 caliper. We drove them back then, well, because there wasn't anything "better" to go faster. So the typical track rat was a widebody running 275/315, maybe some half *** RSR coil spring setup (I always personally just stayed with torsion bars), Charlie Bars for roll bars, 930 brakes with that god awful oversized MB master cylinder, and a 3.5L with 46 Webers, sprint cams and a decent set of headers. Throw on enough composite bodywork to get the thing to ~2200 lbs, and hit the track.

When I could afford to get into 964 chassis, wow. Didn't care they were 500 lbs. heavier.

I will say that with modern dampers, the Spec 911s now are beyond whatever I imagined the chassis could ever be when I was bolting together the above spec'd cars in my 20s.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:27 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Sell my '03 Turbo to finance an AC hot-rod?

Not built at all! Stock 74 targa with all of 150hp on the original suspensions. Just wanted to make a general point about old cars.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:37 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Not built at all! Stock 74 targa with all of 150hp on the original suspensions. Just wanted to make a general point about old cars.
Then you've got a wonderful cruiser that you enjoy for what it is. Kind of like 930 guy way back when who also had a 356 cab.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:53 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Ken's got a really good point if someone needs to drive a car daily. Like the OP, I can do days at a time without driving a car. As such I would be perfectly happy if my 74 was my only car. There was a period of about 6 months where my 67 was my only car. That was kind of tedious. But the 74 is more "refined".

Quick Reply: Sell my '03 Turbo to finance an AC hot-rod?