Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New 1975 911S Targa...Need advice

Old 03-19-2016, 05:25 AM
Craigw1926
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New 1975 911S Targa...Need advice

Hi all,

I just bought a '75 911S Targa, sight unseen. It's currently on a truck being shipped to me. I'm told the car has been in the same family for 30 years. No accidents or significant rust.

I was also told the car was running and driving, but the engine was very tired (smoking) when it was parked a couple years ago and that I should expect it to need a rebuild. The car is all original. I don't have any other details, but the price was right.

I had seriously considered a Singer style backdate and 993/G50 upgrade. But the more I research, the more I'm compelled to keep it close to original and not try to make it into something it's not.

That being said, I would like to seriously increase the power and reliability of the current 2.7 engine since it will need a rebuild anyway. I am willing to spend the money, but only where it's a reasonable. I'm not rich, by any means. This will be a weekend road car, not a track car, show car, or museum car. This year is smog exempt so I'm not worried about conforming to smog requirements. Any advice is appreciated.

....same goes for the current 915 transaxle. Are they any obvious upgrades that should be considered since I'll have it out of the vehicle anyway?

Craig
Sacramento, CA

Old 03-19-2016, 07:36 AM
Irhmsd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brave guy but you probably got an excellent deal. The 2.7 as a stock engine actually feels quite nice in that body. I have a 1974. A rebuild on the engine will be expensive, especially if it needs pistons and cylinders. As you do the work, be sure to add hydraulic, carerra tensioners, a pop off valve in the air box and time seats for all of the head studs. Any reputable 911 engine builder who knows these magnesium cased engines will know all of this. If you are in California, try Adam Fritsch at Retro-Sport or Walt at Competition Engineering.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:27 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts
Default New 1975 911S Targa...Need advice

Totally keep as it is. Middies are beautiful. Classy and understated. Is that the original color? Looks like Gemini Blue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 1975 911S Targa...Need advice