Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buying a SC as a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 03:52 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Listen to your shop guy. I'd say most spend $3k to make a/c decent.
What's the smartes choice for doing the A/C? I want colder than a witch's tit and problem free.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:10 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default A/C Part Replacements

Originally Posted by DoninDen
What's the smartes choice for doing the A/C? I want colder than a witch's tit and problem free.
You can achieve a difference of over 40 degrees in a 1978 - 83 911SC, with 50 or less degrees showing at the center vent, and the outside ambient temperature of 90 + (Florida summer). Griffiths new barrier hoses (all), new up graded evaporator (in the Smuggler's box), new A/C receiver drier (in the left hand front wheel well), new rotary compressor, with the appropriate compressor oil (no way an original York compressor will ever perform at that level) and converting to R134a refrigerant.

On both of our SCs we retained the original OEM condenser (attached to the engine lid).

Using an independent Porsche mechanic, with A/C experience, our bill for one was $1,800 (had a rotary compressor) and $2,300 for the other SC, two years ago on the first one and eighteen months ago on the second. Both are functioning well at this time. During this last summer, spouse actually asked that air temperature be turned up (counterclock wise on the left dial) as she was chilled.

Type 2

Last edited by Type 2; 01-31-2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-31-2016, 11:23 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DoninDen
I recommend (and use) Griffiths. https://griffiths.com/

Good reading: https://griffiths.com/porsche/air-co...r-ice-project/

The AC in my car came in a box. I re-used the decklid condensor and the evaporator box. Rest of it came new from Charlie.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:29 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kjchristopher
I recommend (and use) Griffiths. https://griffiths.com/

Good reading: https://griffiths.com/porsche/air-co...r-ice-project/

The AC in my car came in a box. I re-used the decklid condensor and the evaporator box. Rest of it came new from Charlie.
Thank you for the recommendation! My AC is very cold now! I added the extra condenser in the wheel well.

As an update, the car has been painted and it looks great.

The heater was repaired and works great.

I have ordered new seat covers and bolsters from Lakewell and they will be installed this month.

The engine has had an idle issue, my Indy (40 year air cooled only Porsche shop), said he believes it is from an vacuum leak, so next week I am having the engine dropped and having it repaired, will also check the clutch.

Truly enjoy driving the SC. The power is more than I expected, 5,000 RPM going 65 in 3rd... The power is more usable on the highway than my 993 TT and my form 997 4S.

Now wondering if CIS to EFI makes sense...
Old 05-16-2017, 05:38 PM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have pic thread? Curious what you've done to the car since you bought it. I'm starting from a similar point, but with an '87 Carrera.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:46 PM
iFox
Instructor

Default SC DD HERE!

I have been driving late model Porsches for the last 15 years. I drove them all year and everyday from Chicago to near Ohare airport, a 40 mile road trip. I had Boxsters and Caymans. They were all leased. Recently I decided to stop leasing and bought a 78' SC. I have been daily driving it now for approx 3 months. It has no sunroof or AC. So far I love it more than anything else I drove.. ever. I will NOT be driving it in the winter, though, due mostly to salt but also because I don't want to add so many miles every year. I will be getting something else to drive from first snow to when the salt has all washed away. I never used AC much in any cars before, as I like the windows down and fresh air. Will I suffer on those 90 plus days? The answer is sure I will, but its the price I choose to pay for driving such a fun and interesting and well made vehicle.

What will you run into? Well, the 915 shifts slower, so driving it will require more attention and you will need to be watching the car in front of you more due to having brakes that do not respond the same as modern ones. My heat works fantastic when I need it. Window fog when it rains is more of an issue but not one that can't be managed. It is not made to be an easy to drive car. It is a true sports car ad I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sher-
Old 05-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Sher, welcome to the air cooled 911, you will find I and a few others out here in Barrington DD ours in the summer and keep track toys for PCA events. Patridge family 912 is my buddies we just redid the motor.

cheers

Wh
Originally Posted by iFox
I have been driving late model Porsches for the last 15 years. I drove them all year and everyday from Chicago to near Ohare airport, a 40 mile road trip. I had Boxsters and Caymans. They were all leased. Recently I decided to stop leasing and bought a 78' SC. I have been daily driving it now for approx 3 months. It has no sunroof or AC. So far I love it more than anything else I drove.. ever. I will NOT be driving it in the winter, though, due mostly to salt but also because I don't want to add so many miles every year. I will be getting something else to drive from first snow to when the salt has all washed away. I never used AC much in any cars before, as I like the windows down and fresh air. Will I suffer on those 90 plus days? The answer is sure I will, but its the price I choose to pay for driving such a fun and interesting and well made vehicle.

What will you run into? Well, the 915 shifts slower, so driving it will require more attention and you will need to be watching the car in front of you more due to having brakes that do not respond the same as modern ones. My heat works fantastic when I need it. Window fog when it rains is more of an issue but not one that can't be managed. It is not made to be an easy to drive car. It is a true sports car ad I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sher-
Old 05-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Snow tires, eh?

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-t...kapeliitta-r2/

Much like Baja Bugs are fantastic in the dirt, these cars are fantastic in the snow. The only real issue is that they are able to move forward just as well as they're able to stop, so you can easily outrun your front tires, particularly down hill. The solution is to slow down. It wouldn't hurt to put a big bag of kitty litter up front, but you're more likely to slide out than get stuck.

I heard they don't salt the roads in Colorado because it's sunny every day and the snow just kind of melts during the day. Ain't that some sh;t?
Old 05-19-2017, 07:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Seriously, you are concerned about the disc brakes on a SC? There is more than enough brakes on a 911 to be one of the safest cars on the road in a bad situation. Sure, no ABS, but how many old 911's have been raced or DE'd for years with nary an issue? Sure, a day at the track may lead to a soft pedal, but 2 piston calipers all the way around on a car at or below 3000lbs is more than a match for almost all newer cars.

Originally Posted by iFox

Sher-
Old 06-04-2017, 11:25 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Question

Originally Posted by needspeed
Do you have pic thread? Curious what you've done to the car since you bought it. I'm starting from a similar point, but with an '87 Carrera.
Here are some photos, repainted, you can see the new heater fan and the new Griffiths' A/C system.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:34 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

It's truely fun to drive!
Old 06-04-2017, 12:03 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremelune
I heard they don't salt the roads in Colorado because it's sunny every day and the snow just kind of melts during the day. Ain't that some sh;t?
I see you're in Brooklyn. I grew up in SW Connecticut and learned to drive there and on the streets of NYC. I know how the snow and ice stay on the roads all winter.

Yep, almost every day is sunny in CO and they only use sand on the suburban roads. They do use mag chloride on the interstate highways, however, which is more corrosive than salt. Snow and ice are rarely an issue here. Denver just doesn't get much snow. It all falls on the nearby mountains.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:47 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

I took 1-70 up to Evergreen Parkway and came back the twisty route through Morrison, by Red Rocks early this morning. Great drive, it pulls effortlessly up Floyd Hill and the brakes work terrific going into the curves.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:14 PM
needspeed
Instructor

The car looks fantastic!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:35 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
I see you're in Brooklyn. I grew up in SW Connecticut and learned to drive there and on the streets of NYC. I know how the snow and ice stay on the roads all winter.
Not true at all. The snow is gone from the streets almost instantly. I think its' the brine. It rains all winter, as well, so the roads are rinsed off sooner or later. There is literally no need for AWD or even snow tires in the NY/CT winter. I have driven in actual snow once in the last 2-3 years. No need to mothball your car all winter, either. It's a 12 month driving season up here, and my car has never touched a drop of salt. Just wait for rain.

Quick Reply: Buying a SC as a Daily Driver