Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

92 c2 triptronic, how many miles is excessive

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 01:19 AM
mike5.9
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 c2 triptronic, how many miles is excessive

I have been looking for a 911 for quite some time, but my dillema has always been that my wife (who would be the main driver) prefers an auto transmission. No laughs please..

I've found a 92 c2 triptronic that has a little over 200,000 miles. I presume we would like to keep the car indefinetely, and I will do most of the maintenance my self.

Is this a good deal for me? Price is a little under $15k. The car is literally perfect with all records, and checks out good.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:15 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike, my local Porsche dealer service manager in Newport Beach knows his stuff and has told me repeatedly how surprised they are at the longevity of the tips. Now 200K is getting up there. That being said, if everything checks out (PPI) It sounds like a good deal. Its hard to find a clean sc for that price. I think I've seen used tip tranny's for under 2K if that went. At the same time keep in mind that a tip with less than half that many miles can be found here in socal(rust-free) for around 20K. If your going to keep it forever and you can stretch your budget I think that lower miles can be worth the extra price, especially if your wife is going to be the main driver. Check this 964 link www.porsche964.co.uk/
Old 09-21-2003, 11:40 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike:

I have a few more questions for you so we might be able to better help you.

1. What kind of budget are you on? What is the limit that you are willing to spend keeping in mind that you should always have at least $2000 in the bank for unexpected 911 repairs.

2. How do you and your wife plan to use the car? Weekend fun trips? Daily driving to work?

3. How many miles per year do you plan to put on a 911?

I agree with SoCal Mike that for a bit more, you can find a Tiptronic C2 with half the miles (or less) for just a bit more.

Though, at 200,000 miles, I doubt you would loose much if any resale value if the maintenance and cosmetics are kept up to date.

200,000 miles means there were approximately 18,000 miles per year put on the car. That could mean the car spend most of it's life on the freeway and those miles are not all that hard on a car.

I would proceed with caution and have the car inspected by a knowledgeable Porsche tech before buying. But, if you don't have to rely on this car for everyday needs, it might be a very good buy.

The Tiptronic transmission is one of Porsche's most reliable transmissions.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 09-22-2003, 12:02 AM
Claude
Advanced

Mike: Sounds like you've got the fever. DON"T DO IT!. It is a buyers market. You can find a lower mileage example without the wear and tear. The tips are bullet proof and fun to drive----keep looking.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:50 AM
mike5.9
2nd Gear

Socal,
Thanks for the info!

Jay H,
$15K is pushing my budget for the car. I have the abilty to spend more, but would definetely prefer to have a few more maintenance issues pop up to save $5k. I'm not trying to sound over confident, but if I only purchased new vehicles with warranties my craftsman tool set would be ticked.

$2k backup is no problem.

It's main use would be as a daily driver. 20 miles each way. In addition, quite a few road trips. Especially since our jeep gets 15 mpg.

Claude, I don't know man... I love the idea of getting a brand new looking exterior/interior and the 3.6 + the tip for the price of a low mile 1980.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:52 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

911's in general are pretty robust cars that are built with high tolerances and do last quite a long time. But, with any car, 200,000 miles is quite a bit.

What kind of work has been done to this car? What major engine work (if any) has been done? A thorough look through the records is definitely needed. Suspension components wear, driveline components wear, etc.

If this car has had a recent top end or full rebuild on the motor, that would be a plus.

Again, proceed, but proceed with caution. Don't be misled by shiny paint and nice interiors. A quick respray and/or some good work by a professional detailer can hide a 'rat' pretty quickly. I've seen it done before. But, on the other hand, this could be a well maintained, solid car. Make sure you pay for a knowledgeable professional to look this car over before deciding. 964's are more complex than prior generations of 911's, so they may require more special tools and knowledge.

I personally would wait and increase my budget before buying a 911 of this vintage and miles if I needed it for my wife for daily driving.

There are no free lunches in the 911 world I'm afraid...

Jay
90 964

Quick Reply: 92 c2 triptronic, how many miles is excessive