Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A Little Help Deciding . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Fogdweller5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Little Help Deciding . .

http://pcachs.org/buysell/show-ad/?id=26 (Must read link)

Local car, long-time PCA member, knowledgeable "car-guy" shows very well inside and out (outside 8, inside 8) no accidents, two local owners since new.

-Auto-crossed some since he owned it, not it's whole life.
-A/C has not been run 5-6 years (no belt)
-Owner will not let me test drive because of insurance reasons, but will take me for a ride.
-Seems to want to only take it to his mech for a PPI.
-Engine has never been out, clutch never out -or- adjusted by this guy.
-VERY minor oil weep "somewhere"
-Moderate smoke on start-up
-Cracked dash here and there (no big)
-K&N filter replaces the OEM box (hummmmmm, don't like)

It's an 85', I'd like at least an 86' - 88' for the lower seat height, short-shift kit from factory, better cabin ventilation, larger sway bars, etc. Minor, yes but still improvements from 85.'

*I'm concerned mostly about the engine and clutch never being out AND auto-crossing* Yes, it's good no one has ever -had- to replace the clutch, therefore it seems has been operated properly. I feel as if I may be sitting on two time bombs and maybe that's why the price is where it is.

Am I crazy? I am "Type-A" though. Thoughts on MY concerns/price/more question I should ask? I'm honestly looking for a stock, unmolested queen, but the price seems somewhat fair in this market. BTW, he is moving, and wants a cab for Florida.

Thank you all.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:10 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds like a type A gridlock. It's not the car you actually want. And he is a difficult seller. I would walk if I were you.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:14 PM
Fogdweller5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GTgears
Sounds like a type A gridlock. It's not the car you actually want. And he is a difficult seller. I would walk if I were you.
Yea, I suppose I possibly wanted to hear that.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:20 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't buy what you don't want. Keep looking.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 AM
lucky strike
Advanced

Sounds cheap....... But.
When your done fixing it up it may not be so cheap.
Especially with the high miles.
I'm in the car business & it's not so much what you pay for a car
Its what you have to spend on it. All of a sudden it's not such a great deal.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:27 AM
russm535il
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree especially since he will not allow an independent inspection
Walk away keep looking there is always another car
Old 07-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Car would sell today out here.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Fogdweller5
Intermediate

It's a nice example, and it will find a happy home I'm sure, just not me after sleeping on it.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:11 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by russm535il
I agree especially since he will not allow an independent inspection.
I see this said a lot and don't always agree. First off, if it is a good reputible shop, they are going to want to keep that reputation intact. Unless the seller owns multiple P-cars they have very little motivation to lie on his behalf to help him to sell a car that they will no longer be servicing.

And part two of that, when it comes to a local sale, is they have an opportunity to get a new customer to have them service the same car. Client retention is important to many shops. Do a good thorough PPI and explain it to the buyer and you might get yourself a new customer.

Lastly, the internet is a harsh place. These days, if a shop screws someone, or just plain screws up and has an instance of human error, it gets published right here. Seller slips you $500 to help close the deal by overlooking a few things on the PPI and next thing you know you are being called a crook by the guys on RL. That can really hurt business.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:49 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I see this said a lot and don't always agree. First off, if it is a good reputible shop, they are going to want to keep that reputation intact. Unless the seller owns multiple P-cars they have very little motivation to lie on his behalf to help him to sell a car that they will no longer be servicing.

And part two of that, when it comes to a local sale, is they have an opportunity to get a new customer to have them service the same car. Client retention is important to many shops. Do a good thorough PPI and explain it to the buyer and you might get yourself a new customer.

Lastly, the internet is a harsh place. These days, if a shop screws someone, or just plain screws up and has an instance of human error, it gets published right here. Seller slips you $500 to help close the deal by overlooking a few things on the PPI and next thing you know you are being called a crook by the guys on RL. That can really hurt business.
100% agree on this. When I bought my '85 back in '96, the PPI was a semi-complete inspection done at the PO's expense by his mechanic along with a final oil change and other minor work he had done. The mechanic (The Stable, in SF) seemed very professional, capable, and honest, and has a great reputation around here. Car was said to be good, and it surely has been.

Regarding the insurance - test drive thing, I can understand his issue. My insurance is collectors insurance, which excludes any coverage related to selling the car. Not sure what I would do as a seller in that situation, but it is a valid issue for him. Maybe he would bend a little if he thought the buyer was close to buying.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:11 PM
Fogdweller5
Intermediate

Agree with GTgEARS also. However, there are two good P-shops much closer to me AND I have done my due diligence in visiting and "interviewing" them about their PPI process. Therefore, it behooves me, the potential new owner, to get it done at my shop of choice.

His personal PPI "re-direct" and not being able to drive it made me seriously pause in my tracks. I suppose the offering price plus cash -may-(?) have allowed me to drive it. Sounded to me like I would not be able to drive it until the car was in my name.

I will say that when I saw the ad, I jumped even for an 85' I was not looking for. I however, decided that it was worth a honest look and maybe -this- 85' was more than the ad entailed; the car for me. A simple test drive -could- have turned my head to buying/offering on the car.

With all learned and a good nights sleep, my mind was automatically made-up to keep searching.

All-in-all, It was an opportunity for me to further know what I really want. All good.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:32 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every experience narrows your list down.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:23 PM
lucky strike
Advanced

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
Every experience narrows your list down.
+1.... find the right one for u.
Gain experience & knowledge in your quest.

Quick Reply: A Little Help Deciding . .