Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What's the market like for an M491???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:31 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

These have moved from "used" Porsches to "Collector" Porsches... a totally different market....

Small items of condition, originality, documentation, color, etc can swing valuations +/- 25%... and really, really low-mile original cars can command even higher premiums...

Look at it this way. A really clean, original, driver-quality 86 3.2 Carrara with no major issues could be a $40K car in today's market. An 86 Turbo in similar condition could be pushing $100K.... so putting a wide-body somewhere in the middle is reasonable... sounds like $70K to me.

But its now like pricing art... time, place, car, and buyer.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:01 PM
TroyK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new here to the website. I am also in the market for a m491 coupe.
I love how everyone helps each other search out different examples. Thanks for making this such a great website.

Troy Kershaw
Old 08-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TroyK
I am new here to the website. I am also in the market for a m491 coupe.
I love how everyone helps each other search out different examples. Thanks for making this such a great website.

Troy Kershaw
Hi Troy,

Welcome! Sloancars has a couple Turbo Looks, but as you may know, Sloan charges big $$$ for collector-quality examples.

I ran across this one on Pelican:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...look-m491.html

Good luck!

Ray
Old 08-14-2015, 11:06 AM
TroyK
Intermediate

Thank you Ray. I know I haven't formally introduced myself so I would like to do that.
I am 43 and live in Virginia. I have two children and a loving wife who puts up with me.
I am a Porsche addict who owns a 77 euro 3.0 Carrera. I purchased it in 1994 and will one day give it to my children. The 77 is the only Porsche I have ever owned. I hope
To change that soon. I'm looking for a nice driver.
I have seen the brown car . I just doesn't move me. I think it is high at 65 with 100k on it. I haven't looked at Slone. Thanks for the tip.
~Troy Kershaw
Old 08-17-2015, 03:20 PM
RFP
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TroyK
> I just doesn't move me. I think it is high at 65 with 100k on it. I haven't looked at Slone. Thanks for the tip.
~Troy Kershaw
Troy, I appreciate your observation that such-and-such a car just doesn't "move" you... well said. While I would like to believe that buying and selling Porsches is strictly a non-emotional, fully-objective enterprise, it certainly isn't for me. I'll freely admit to an "emotional" aspect to these cars... some sing to me and some don't... I suspect I'm not alone in this.

That said, while mileage is important (to a degree), there are other - and more important - considerations that affect price... a lot. Condition and history are more important drivers of price than mileage... at least to me. Having said all that stuff to help me self-justify my present Porsche-life, I'll say that my TL scratches all my Porsche itches: First, it's a coupe (my personal favorite in the wide bodies), completely - and verifiably - damage and accident free, wearing mostly original paint (I had a high quality respray of hood, bumper, valence and mirrors), documented history back to the first oil change, I have personally visited (via e-mail and phone) with all the previous owners, engine converted to 3.4 a few thousand miles ago by Bill Brewster (Brewster Porsche, San Clemente, CA), careful refreshment of interior (new carpets, door panels), many, many new seals, sills, other rubber bits, and sunroof seals. All that stuff. 111,500 miles. Five shows, five wins.

$65,000 wouldn't buy it.

Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725

Rob
Old 08-17-2015, 10:13 PM
TroyK
Intermediate

That is a very beautiful and well cared for car. Thank you for the pictures.
Love the color.
~Troy
Old 08-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

On the brink of selling my 85 911 M491.

Silver, black sport seats (leather with 'Porsche' lettered cloth.) 65k miles, absolutely completely serviced at Porsche dealer (engine out reseal and much, much more).

Original paint except for rock chip spray to valance. I added ducktail, painted to match. Saved OEM turbo tail (hung on wall as art!) OEM steering wheel, OEM Blaupunkt Monterey. Clean everywhere. Ice cold AC.

Has Certificate of Authenticity, books, tools, records. Needs nothing. Get in and drive. PM if interested.
Attached Images     
Old 08-24-2015, 11:40 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Adams
On the brink of selling my 85 911 M491.

Silver, black sport seats (leather with 'Porsche' lettered cloth.) 65k miles, absolutely completely serviced at Porsche dealer (engine out reseal and much, much more).

Original paint except for rock chip spray to valance. I added ducktail, painted to match. Saved OEM turbo tail (hung on wall as art!) OEM steering wheel, OEM Blaupunkt Monterey. Clean everywhere. Ice cold AC.

Has Certificate of Authenticity, books, tools, records. Needs nothing. Get in and drive. PM if interested.
YIKES! That car is insane. Sooooooooooo nice. Would love to see some more shots of your duck as I was thinking about ducking mine. Quack Quack.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1stgear
YIKES! That car is insane. Sooooooooooo nice. Would love to see some more shots of your duck as I was thinking about ducking mine. Quack Quack.
Thanks for that. I have enjoyed this car immensely. The duck was a tough consideration, and it can be difficult to match the body lines exactly. Mine are, keeping in mind the duck profile tapers down as it reaches the rear bumper area, so it is not 'flush' with the rear fender line until it reaches the end.

Further, I mounted my 'Retro Air' condenser under mine, had to reinforce the glass but it works great. I also was able to correctly mount the engine light, which actually works. Going to the ducktail is more trouble than you think, but I think justified. Sorry for the dark shots; the car sits in the rear of my little garage and I was too lazy to push it out.
Attached Images    
Old 08-25-2015, 11:30 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that. I have enjoyed this car immensely. The duck was a tough consideration, and it can be difficult to match the body lines exactly. Mine are, keeping in mind the duck profile tapers down as it reaches the rear bumper area, so it is not 'flush' with the rear fender line until it reaches the end.

Further, I mounted my 'Retro Air' condenser under mine, had to reinforce the glass but it works great. I also was able to correctly mount the engine light, which actually works. Going to the ducktail is more trouble than you think, but I think justified. Sorry for the dark shots; the car sits in the rear of my little garage and I was too lazy to push it out.
Thanks for the additional shots - it looks amazing. I put a duck on my 993, and it wasn't too bad of a pain. I've removed the air conditioning from my M491 and the light is no longer wired in either. My only challenge will be removing the rear wiper unit, but I don't think that will be too bad.

Where did you source your duck? I used MASHAW for my 993 and was very pleased with the fit. I'm not a body man by any stretch, but I was able to fit the duck straight out of the box and sourced paint to my local shop.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the additional shots - it looks amazing. I put a duck on my 993, and it wasn't too bad of a pain. I've removed the air conditioning from my M491 and the light is no longer wired in either. My only challenge will be removing the rear wiper unit, but I don't think that will be too bad.

Where did you source your duck? I used MASHAW for my 993 and was very pleased with the fit. I'm not a body man by any stretch, but I was able to fit the duck straight out of the box and sourced paint to my local shop.
Probably should move this either to PMs or to a different thread since it was supposed be about M491 Values. Happy to answer there. I was offering my car for sale.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:50 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Probably should move this either to PMs or to a different thread since it was supposed be about M491 Values. Happy to answer there. I was offering my car for sale.
To the OP, sorry I took the thread off topic. To Adams, if the thread is supposed to be about values, maybe you should throw a $$ value on yours to help the OP.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:54 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

To the OP, sorry I took the thread off topic. To Adams, if the thread is supposed to be about values, maybe you should throw a $$ value on yours to help the OP.
Ha! Fair enough. I PMd the OP, who is in a different price/quality arena, wants more of a driver quality car he can work on. Totally understand.

My car is priced at $72k, but after spending the weekend with it, I'm less inclined to offer it at all. I realize that sounds vague, but I have one car in my sights that 'if' the 911 goes, that's the only reason I'd do anything at all.

As all on this forum know, there just aren't many vintage type cars - at any price - that offer this level of fun, satisfaction, and utility. I'd drive my car to most anywhere tomorrow, without hesitation.

So, to the OP and all, it appears that the M491 option adds about 40-50% atop the comparable narrow body car. I've emailed Keith Martin about his almost quaint 'add $5000 for M491' value, but I feel this forum has more specific experience in this realm.

Thus, if Turbo cars (911 Turbo, 930) of this era get roughly 90% value bump, then as another mentioned earlier in this thread, the non turbo wide body M491 seems to slot right in-between.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:37 PM
TroyK
Intermediate

I would think add 15k for an m491.
I would like to buy one and not sell one though.

Troy
Old 08-31-2015, 02:49 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's my ex-'89 M491 G50 cab in Steingrau that I sold in 2011 before "the bubble", a 33K mile one-owner car when I bought it, 35K miles when I sold it. Only 54 of these were USA-spec cars.

Had it been a coupe I would still have it - forever. I'm just not a cabriolet guy which is why I let it go.

I'd LOVE to have Adams' silver coupe (my favorite color, love the duck!) but the GT3 will have to suffice for now.

Quick Reply: What's the market like for an M491???