Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, or love my...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 11:42 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, or love my...

PORSH

It's been a Porsh for me since I was a kid, it just seems so, so... affected, to say Porsha. I keep noticing snarky remarks on this and Pelican boards about philistines driving their waterpumper Porsh's.

My appologies, I don't think I'm a philistine, but I still call it a Porsh...

I'm I alone in this world?
Old 09-10-2003, 11:52 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is Porsha, and if you can't say it correctly, that's your problem.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:05 PM
purrybonker
Pro

lol... tough crowd
Old 09-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Eddie Hotrod
Advanced

I must admit that sometimes I'm lazy and say 'Porsh'. But how many of you out there say 'Volkswaggon' instead of 'Volksvargen' - same mistake but no-one gives a sh*t when it's just a VW. Call it what you like, as long as you love it like a 'Porker' - sorry 'Porscher'.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:35 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've never really understood the issues here. Personally, I call them Porsh-a's, but what the h3ll? Call it a Yugo if you want, and don't care about it. Care only about the big grin it puts on your face when you drive it. Got some kid next to you in a 5.0 Mustang revving his engine? Who cares? You are driving your 'Yugo' and you are happy to be doing it. When he races away from the light and you don't follow, who cares? You are still happy and content that you are driving the car you chose to drive. Wave to another P-Car driver (regardless of model) and don't get a wave back? Who cares? You must just be happier in your machine then they are.

I hope that most of us drive these cars for the pure and unadulterated fun which they provide in the seat of the pants, and not because of other lesser reasons. Call the brand what you like, paint on racing stripes or bolt on a home built rear spoiler made from 2x4's. Wave, flash or do whatever you want while on the road. It is your car to call what you like, and enjoy like you want to.

Just get out and drive!

Tom
Old 09-10-2003, 06:19 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My wife sez "Porsh" sometimes I say "Porsha" but I like "Fatt A$$ Volkswaggon" the best .

We do love dem' widebodys!

Old 09-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Weaver
Advanced

When I correct people on the pronuciation of Porsche, I tell them it is someones name, not just a word. Its seems to easy the sting of the correction. They would not want their own last names to be mispronunced, so they end up understanding. And makes me look less ****........and very hard thing to do sometimes!
Old 09-11-2003, 12:08 PM
jim912928
Racer

Interesting on how we can get so worked up on how to pronounce a name. I married into a real german family and most of my relatives from my wife's side still live in germany, and likewise i have people that work for me in Stuttgart. I've asked them this question and non of them care which way we pronounce it. They all just think it's cool that we love their cars!
Old 09-11-2003, 12:39 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, since you asked opinion, yes, I think it is very philistine, backwoods, redneck, whatever you want to call it (no flame intended, just saying how it SOUNDs to me, since you asked)...IBM isn't IB, Ferrari isn't Ferrar, country isn't...well, you get the picture...
Old 09-11-2003, 12:44 PM
MPLS73Targa
8th Gear

I, too, have always used two syllables when saying the name of the marque. I noticed, however, after going to the "Forty Fast Years" section on the Porsche web site, playing the matching game and viewing the video "The Legend Moves On," the voiceover uses "Porsh"!

I find it quite strange the company would sign off on that...
Old 09-11-2003, 01:52 PM
glvan
6th Gear

Porsche is a family name, and the family members pronounce their surname PORSH-ah, not PORSH! Same for the car. Don't be lazy and leave off the e in Porsche! Porsche's U.S. TV commercials pronounce the name correctly and so should we. I know I don't like it when my last name is pronounced incorrectly.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:12 PM
johnnyquest
Advanced

Whenever I start talking about my car, which is often, the other person always has some story or other to tell about the Marque, and their pronunciation of the name is usually a dead giveaway whether they know anything about cars generally and p-cars particularly. My whole household is properly indoctrinated. My kids even correct their friends when they inevitably mispronounce the name.

Cheers
Old 09-11-2003, 09:23 PM
JimBob951
Racer

Yeah, my kids say it correctly as well!
Old 09-11-2003, 09:28 PM
callipygian 911
Racer

i'm afraid i have to side with the snarky-doos. this reminds me of the conversation about van gogh in woody allen's "manhattan. such a great film...
Old 09-11-2003, 09:28 PM
JimBob951
Racer

The names of cities are what irks me. On the news, the always say "mosco" or "kabeck" (Moscow, Quebec) But never say Paris or Mexico correctly!! And of course there are all those foreign named cities in the US that are selectivly pronounced

Quick Reply: Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, or love my...